KaiFenty
AT-LOW

The wage gap is both overblown and impossible to fix

KaiFenty

Pro

The wage gap as currently known does not exist. The $0. 76 on the dollar commonly cited as the wage gap is a false number as it looks at income in a vacuum rather than account for variables that have a huge impact on that number. Secondly, The small wage gap that does exist cannot ever be reduced due to these variables.
AT-LOW

Con

I would like to start the round by discussing the burden. The affirmative makes two separate claims and has the burden of proving both of them. If I can bring reasonable doubt to either of these claims, Then I, The negative, Will have won the debate.

Definitions:
Wage Gap: "The gender pay gap or gender wage gap is the average difference between the remuneration for men and women who are working. "
Overblown: "excessively inflated or pretentious. "
Impossible: Cannot be done under any circumstances.

If the affirmative disagrees with these definitions he'll need to justify his reworked definitions since he didn't provide them during the first round. These definitions however, Are the currently accepted definitions of the terms in our current society.

Contention 1) The affirmative states that the wage gap simply doesn't exist as we know it, However, This isn't relevant to the resolution. My opponent must explain that the wage gap is overblown and impossible to fix. By saying that it doesn't exist, He's inadvertently pointing out that it is in fact not only possible to fix, But that it is already fixed. This would immediately prove my case. For this reason i'm going to assume what he means to say is that 'we will never accept that it has been fixed' because of our current metrics of measuring it. However, The resolution is simply about fixing the wage gap rather than making people agree that it has been fixed.

Contention 2) My opponent seems to misunderstand what the wage gap is. There is a social feeling that goes alongside the wage gap, However, That is not the wage gap itself. The feeling is that the wage gap is an injustice to females, However, That isn't actually related to the gap itself-- it's a belief some people happen to hold. My opponent seems to agree with this since he mentions that the variables involved with the wage gap make it difficult to measure and that it's not strictly accurate to fairness or justice in the work force. This again works in my favor, Since he's essentially accepting that the wage gap exists but that it's not as bad as people might imagine. However, Overblown means that the gap isn't nearly as large as people think it is-- my opponent seems to think that overblown means people are overreacting to the gap, However this is not the same thing.

Contention 3) The gap itself is just the difference in the average pay of men and women. It's not a question of morality or of justice-- it's quite simply, A statistic based on decided metrics. The gap does in fact exist and it is not overblown. It is mathematically accurate to the objective gap in pay. My opponent wishes to pretend the wage gap is about prejudice or sexism, Since he mentions other factors, However, The gap itself is simply a fact about the pay rates between the two genders. Therefore if my opponent wishes to win this debate, He will need to prove without a doubt that the statistic itself is overblown (worse than the numbers report it) AND that the gap is impossible to fix. (By fix of course we mean to balance by reducing the gap to 0 cents. )

Contention 4) Since my opponent uses the term 'impossible' all I have to do to disprove it is present a valid solution. He never brings up justice or law, So my solution can be completely unethical and I will still have disproved his point. For this reason I present a very simple solution to the problem-- we simply choose a large portion of men and reduce their wage by the exact amount to balance the wage gap. Since ethics aren't involved it doesn't matter if it's practical or fair, But instead only matters that we get results. Any time a new worker is hired or gets a raise/promotion the change in pay will need to be approved by the government. In order to balance any changes someone of the opposite sex will have to lose pay or gain pay proportional to the pay gained or lost by the initial employee. If there's no fix or we have an odd amount of pay, We'll simply balance it by reducing pay/increasing pay/firing employees/rejecting employees/demoting people/whatever method it takes, An we will have objectively balanced the wage gap.

Thank you for understanding the resolution, And knowing that this debate is about fact and statistics-- not about about justice, Ethics or morality. My opponent has made that clear in the resolution.
KaiFenty

Pro

KaiFenty forfeited this round.
AT-LOW

Con

AT-LOW forfeited this round.
KaiFenty

Pro

KaiFenty forfeited this round.
AT-LOW

Con

AT-LOW forfeited this round.
Posted by kaifen 3 years ago
kaifen
In any case, The point is that there isn't this gender inequality in terms of pay, Not that there isn't inequality in the workforce because there definitely is, But the earnings gap is definitely overblown when the variables are accounted for.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
There is an earnings gap, Not a wage gap.