MasterMewtwo
JaredFogle

The world would be better without weddings

Started: 4/29/2018 Category: Economics

MasterMewtwo

Pro

Weddings... a joyful celebration of a man and a woman (or perhaps same gender). All your friends dress in white, eat cake, and drink some beverages as the clergy announces you husband and wife... what could be better? I'd say using your money on better things.

I'll be arguing that we'd be better off without official weddings.

Definitions:

Wedding; a marriage ceremony usually with its accompanying festivities (including the cake, clergy, and beverages) https://www.merriam-webster.com...

World; The Earth's population in general

Better; improved, favorable

Rules:

1) If you're confused about definitions, or would like to add a definition, ask in the comments before accepting.
2) No trolling or semantics. Take this debate seriously, even though I may be taking an awkward side.
3) Forfeiting or timing out counts as a loss, and the other side will win after the 72 hour response time is up.
4) To make sure there's less of a chance of forfeiture, you must have a minimum of 1 debate completed.
5) Round 1 is acceptance only.
6) Failure to obey the rules means an instant loss.

Again, I'll be saying we'd be better without the weddings.
JaredFogle

Con

then how would my wife get married
MasterMewtwo

Pro

How would your wife get married? You could easily skip the whole ceremony and declare yourselves married, though perhaps it'll be difficult in this world. I'll first go into why we don't need marriages in the first place, then I'll explain why they may make the world worse.

Do we need marriage?

Actually, there's no real benefit to having a marriage. If you wanted to gather your friends to celebrate you getting together with your loved one, why not do it in your own home? You'd save quite a bit of money, which I'll go into more detail later. If you want to have a baby, there's no current laws restricting having one before a marriage, if marriage at all. Though only the mother gets the rights to the child in this case. http://www.unmarried.org...

Is a wedding worth it?

On average, a wedding can cost around $25,000 on average. [https://www.costofwedding.com...] Do you really need to use that much money, let alone just $5,000, if you're just getting together with a loved one? You're not even guranteed to be with them for the rest of your life.

Since you've legally bound yourself with your loved one, you're going to have to legally unbind yourself with a divorce if the marriage is going bad. According to Nolo, "Most of our consumers reported paying a total of around $15,500 for their divorces, including $12,800 in attorney's fees" [https://www.nolo.com...]. Once you're done with that, there's more than $50,000 down the drain.

Conclusion:

Weddings tend to be more costly than they need to be, and the concept itself is pointless as there's not even any reason to have a wedding. If you wanted a party to celebrate, just gather your friends at your house. Want a baby? The only thing stopping you is a lack of fatherly rights to the child. This isn't worth the $25,000 it costs, and a divorce wastes that money, and more! Besides, animals in the wild don't need weddings. So why should we?
JaredFogle

Con

my kids and i loved our wedding, we ordered this big cake and it was freee! i loved the cake, my wedding was as free as robux. i wish i had robux.
MasterMewtwo

Pro

I'm pretty sure I won this debate. You're probably lying about your free wedding, and even if you record a video of someone's testimony, I'd probably just claim they're lying on your behalf. Anyway, I might talk about how we should adapt wild animals' getting mates intead of having weddings.
JaredFogle

Con

Son loved our wedding
MasterMewtwo

Pro

No one cares about your emotions or your son's, no offense. If we just looked for mates like wild animals do, without the need for weddings, then we'd save so much money.
JaredFogle

Con

Son said it was the best wedding he'd ever been to
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
You have to actually make arguments. No one cares about you or your family, and I don't even know if you have one, or if they actually think what you're claiming. Say an actual advantage of a wedding, like do other people like them?
Posted by dukeofpanda 3 years ago
dukeofpanda
Well I live in Korea and have been to weddings here. I still agree with you. I define weddings as elaborate celebrations steeped in traditions cultural or religious. A marriage can be without the pomp of excessive ceremony which constitutes a wedding to me. These traditions are a financial burden and often cause division due to differences in culture and religion.

My conviction is so strong I cannot argue you unless forced at gunpoint.
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
I live in America and don't care much about weddings, so I don't know what they're like in Austrailia or China or anywhere else. Though I may be able to discuss further if someone accepts this debate, which I'm a little surprised hasn't happened yet.
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
I don't like how this debate assumes all weddings are Christian weddings. Muslim weddings, by the rules of the Koran, are supposed to be simple. The bride and groom don't need an imam to get married. Often times, they are in a room with someone who creates the contract (which they sign) and then they recite vows and verses from the Koran. Then there is the walima, a wedding feast, then they visit each other's homes, and then they are married the end yay.

Also, not all Christian weddings (or non-religious weddings that happen to be in a Church) cost tons of money. Not everyone spends thousands of dollars.
Posted by dukeofpanda 3 years ago
dukeofpanda
I agree with you mate. The institution of marriage has been hijacked by commerce in order to take advantage of people and squeeze as much money out of them as possible. The debt incurred at weddings stresses relationships and contributes o divorce.
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
You need to complete 3 debates to accept the challenge, since most new users stop visiting a few minutes after making their account. While I won't lower or remove the restriction, you can say why you think weddings are good in the comments (though I won't respond to those points until someone accepts the challenge).
Posted by VikhyatTyagi 3 years ago
VikhyatTyagi
-Unable to accept the challenge-