SMendel
jackgilbert

There Is Such Thing As Truth

SMendel has forfeited round #3.

SMendel

Pro

Recently, my English professor casually remarked, 'Of course, as we know, there's no such thing as truth'. If you agree with her, this debate is for you!

I really look forward to a friendly and respectful debate with you.
jackgilbert

Con

I accept this debate and I am really interested to dive deeper into this topic. I believe The idea of no truth is impossible and I will go into my reasons in the next round.
SMendel

Pro

Hi there, obviously I agree that the 'I believe The idea of no truth is impossible'. Unfortunately, you may have come in on the wrong side of this debate!
jackgilbert

Con

So sorry about that.
Posted by canis 3 months ago
canis
Absolute truths are the only things that exists. But they are always relative, or they could not exist. "The whole picture" does not exist. You age and you die. Absolutly true.
Posted by ThisIsNotMe 3 months ago
ThisIsNotMe
Absolute truth is possible. I believe most universally accepted truths are probably right, but there is still not 100% solid proof to show they are right and not wrong. However even if every thing else is wrong you know for a fact that you are able to think thoughts, meaning you can come up with conclusions or at least think enough to read and respond to this argument.
Posted by canis 3 months ago
canis
If the elephant is everything. We can only see the surface. If we want to see how the elephant "works" we have to cut it open. If we want to know the absolut truth about the elephants.. The elephant does not know the answer..But its there.
This is not an elephant.
http://elephantaday.blogspot.com...
Posted by ViceCaptain 3 months ago
ViceCaptain
We are all touching the elephant now knowing it is an elephant. There is subjectives truth and objective truth. And The problem is that we sometimes think we are looking at the whole picture, but we may only look at a part of it and dont see the whole picture.
But there are things we all can agree on, the earth is a sphere, gravity is real, we all age and die. Of course there is real objective truth. And subjective truth is if u only see a part of the picture and misunderstood it as the whole picture, which is misleading your from the real truth. As a blind man to touch only the trunk of an elephant and think the trunk is the animal and not part of the animal.
Posted by canis 3 months ago
canis
There is only such thing. A no-truth only exist as a no-truth.
Posted by jackgilbert 3 months ago
jackgilbert
Sure, I would love to debate this. These kinds of things really interest me.
Posted by SMendel 3 months ago
SMendel
Hi Jack Gilbert: absolutely right. As Plato points out, in fact.

John C: I believe that one cannot have two contradicting 'truths'. I also don't believe that truth is a principle (honesty is). I would very much like to have this debate with you if you're interested :-)
Posted by jackgilbert 3 months ago
jackgilbert
The idea of that there is no truth is self-contradictory. To believe in that idea is essentially the same thing as believing that it is true that there is no truth. The irony of this is pretty obvious.
Posted by John_C_1812 3 months ago
John_C_1812
oops, sorry I hate when I do that.
Posted by John_C_1812 3 months ago
John_C_1812
A question Roe Vs Wade does not answer. Where and when is privacy lost?
Truth is a principle. The problem isn"t that there is no truth the issue is there is more than one truth.