emtelk11
OfficerBeerGut

There Is Too Much Pressure on Girls and Women to Be Beautiful and to Have Perfect Bodies

OfficerBeerGut has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

emtelk11

Pro

Many girls and women are under constant pressure to have perfect appearances. The fashion industry, magazines, social media, tabloids, television, beauty advertisements, and many others influence the mental images of girls and women on what they should look like. In turn, many girls and women develop low self-esteem, negative body image, mental disorders such as depression, and eating disorders. This leads to risky behaviors such as vomiting after meals in attempt to lose weight. Consequences of negative body image include negative affects to health, well-being, and prevents them from living a quality life. 50% of teens are self conscious about their bodies (NOW.org), and 97% of women have at least one negative thought about their body every day (Body Image) because of the above contributing factors.
OfficerBeerGut

Con

In today's sedentary society, overweight and obesity affect nearly 2/3 of the American population (CDC). While girls ought never to be encouraged to do harmful things to themselves, a thinner and more healthy models on television will promote girls (and boys) to pursue a healthier lifestyle. A girl or a boy who is unhealthily overweight is not a good thing, and pushing them to become healthier is objectively best for them. Society ought to pressure individuals to be healthy, and an unhealthy lifestyle and condition is not something that should be ignored. Whilst many models on T.V. are themselves, unhealthily skinny, this extreme is still necessary to pull girls and boys alike into a safer medium. Parents ought to teach their daughters and sons to pursue a healthy lifestyle, and teach them that vomiting their food is not the answer, but removing societal pressures to be healthy and "beautiful," is not a solution or answer.

1) Today's society is sedentary and overweight and obesity are a "big" problem.
2) Not pressuring children, girls and boys alike, to be healthier and "beautiful," is saving their feelings, but not their health.
3) A society that pressures everyone to be of healthy proportions, and deems this "beautiful," will promote healthy living and it will be better for the general populous.

Thank you for this, it is my first debate on here so forgive me for any mistakes I make rules wise :)
emtelk11

Pro

I do not think I made my viewpoint all that clear. I am not promoting obesity by any means; in addition, I believe males and females should lead healthy lifestyles. It is a good idea for Americans to be educated on proper diet and exercise to maintain health to lesson the risk of diseases such as type-2 diabetes, or heart failure. My view of the pressure on girls and women is that they feel the need to take certain measures to alter their appearance; in fact, that do not contribute to their overall health. Many girls and women are influenced by the things I listed in my previous argument. Also, they often feel pressure from their family, friends, peers, and even romantic partners. When I say, "girls and women take certain measures to alter their appearance", what I mean is that they are getting plastic surgery, excessively tanning, partaking in fad diets, and even resorting to medications that suppress appetite. The list could go on and on. For example, lets say that a young girl (girl A) sees a picture of another young girl (girl B) that she follows on Instagram. In her eyes, girl B is perfect because she has bigger breast than her, has long straight hair, and has Kim Kardashian lips. Girl A takes care of herself, eats healthy most of the time, runs track in school, and is healthy; yet, she can not stop comparing herself to others. She has the appropriate body mass index (BMI) for her age, height, and weight; yet, she looks past all that because she does not feel adequate. Just last week, her boyfriend told her that her breast were too small; also, she should consider dying her hair blonde to be more attractive. Girl A is very insecure about her appearance; although, she is healthy. Girl A sees an advertisement on TV for plastic surgery, and now she wants to get breast implants. Now, she will not stop asking her mom to finance a breast augmentation for her, and she keeps insisting that she will never be happy unless she has the procedure done. Often, girls and women feel pressured to do these things because they feel it is the only way to be accepted by others, feel loved and happy, and to be successful. I am not speaking for all girls and women, for some of them are not affected by what they are told or see, but a vast majority are. What I am trying to say is that often these girls and women that feel pressure are not satisfied with just being healthy. The things they are doing to their bodies do not contribute to their health. When they start becoming obsessive about their appearance and going to the extreme to look good, then that becomes a problem. People have gotten skin cancer from excessive tanning, gotten infections from plastic surgery that ended up leaving disfigurement, and people have died because their bodies shut down from starving themselves. The list of negatives could drag on because of what they are willing to do just to feel beautiful. In point, girls and women need to worry more about their health, and this can also apply to males. It does not matter how big ones breast are, how light or dark ones skin is, or how big their muscles are, these things do not contribute to health. Focus on having a healthy body; in turn, that should bring happiness. Be healthy and happy; in turn, the right people will accept others for who they are and not for what they do or do not have on the outside. True beauty lies within.
Posted by Dinis 3 years ago
Dinis
My belief, women and girls are taught to be beautiful, but not pressured. Otherwise, there should be a lot less obese females in the U.S if they were pressured, since being pressured to be beautiful would show. Thing is, being slim and healthy is seen as beautiful on average, but we are not tied to those standards.