Skye2468
offpro

There are no contradictions in the Bible

offpro has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Skye2468

Pro

My bold claim is there are no contradictions in the Bible. There might be many things that may seem like a contradiction, But there is not. Give me some verses and I will try my best to explain why they are not contradictions. Please keep it limited to 2 or 3 contradictions at a time please, So that way I do not run out of space. Some may take more explaining than others.

Wretched: No, The Bible doesn't have mistakes.
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=nXSCwf9F6BI&t=3s

Wretched The Bible proves itself
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=lUOMXL_tmPI
offpro

Con

Cordial greeting, First it is necessary to remember what is a contradiction: ' the fact of something being the complete opposite of something else or very different from something else, So that one of them must be wrong ' according to the dictionary of Cambridge

In addition to the above, It should be clarified that the issue to be discussed is "There are no contradictions in the Bible" and therefore, It includes the entire bible. This is how even if there were contradictions between the different books that compose it, They would be equally valid.

I limit myself then to enunciate only three contradictions that the bible has in this round, By your request.

1. Genesis 1:25-26. And God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, And the cattle after their kind, And everything that creepeth upon the ground after its kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, After our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, And over the birds of the heavens, And over the cattle, And over all the earth, And over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 2: 18-19. And Jehovah God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a help meet for him. And out of the ground Jehovah God formed every beast of the field, And every bird of the heavens; and brought them unto the man to see what he would call them: and whatsoever the man called every living creature, That was the name thereof.

Man could not be created before and after the animals, A clear contradiction.

2. Genesis 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
Genesis 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, Woman sometime later.

3. AC 10:34, RO 2:11 God shows no partiality. He treats all alike.
RO 9:18 God has mercy on whoever he chooses.
Skye2468

Pro

Hello, Thank you for accepting this debate. I look forward to this.

I want to clarify the definition you used for contradiction.
The law of non contradiction states that, Something cannot be both true and not true at the same time when dealing with the same context.

For example, Statements like "I walked my dog at 2" and "I did not walk my dog at 2" may seem like a contradiction, But it may not be a contradiction because one was talking about 2pm while the other was talking about 2am.

Something important to realize between Genesis 1 and 2 is, That Genesis 1 through Genesis 2:4 is giving an order things were created, While after Genesis 2:4 it starts going into more detail about what happened on the 6th day after the animals were created.

1. The word that is translated "formed" the original Hebrew verb can actually be translated as a pluperfect. A better translation would be "had formed" which is what the NIV translation actually reads.

Also like I said, Genesis 2: 18-19 is after 2:4 so God is not creating the animals, He is dealing with the animals he had already created.

Sometimes the surrounding context helps determine what the verse is actually saying, Because it does not say that God created the animals right then and there, Or that animals were created after man.

2. Genesis 1:26-27 and Genesis 2:7, 21-22 is also another example of the differences between Genesis 1 and Genesis 2.

Genesis 1:26-27 Does not say man and woman were created at the same time. It says they were created on the same day.
Genesis 2:7, 21-22 Says man was created first, And then later woman was created that day.

3. The context of Romans 2:11 is talking about how God is going to judge everyone who does evil acts. He is not going to favorite someone over the other.

The Bible teaches that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Therefore unless we repent and put our faith in Jesus we will all face Gods judgement and wrath. This includes jew and gentile.

The context of Acts 10:34 is, That it doesn't matter to God what nation you were born into or call your own. He is not interested in whether you are one of the circumcision or one of the Gentiles. What matters is your attitude and actions, Do you worship and fear God and do his will.

Romans 9:18 is true, He will show mercy on who he wants, And he will harden whosever heart he wants to harden. Basically meaning we have no right to tell God what to do. He made us so he has power to do what ever he wants with us. That does not mean he is unfair, Or favorites. For specific purposes that are unknown to us God may have hardened someone's heart, Also don't forget he is omniscient. So he knows whether or not someone would follow him, Regardless of if he hardened their heart. Sometimes he just gives you what you want. Some people want there hearts to be hardened.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
1. Verified in Dossier of Reason, The Secular Web, The Thinking Atheist its GE 1:24-27 VS GE 2:7, 19. So Con wasn't wrong.
2. Verified in Dossier of Reason, The Secular Web, The Thinking Atheist
3. Verified in The Secular Web.
Obviously Con has his own verification(s)
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
The bible claims that belief is a choice, When it is not.
The bible claims that faith is a way of knowing, When it is not.
This is a contradiction of the fundamentals of a rational epistemology.
Epistemology is the explanation of how we think. It is required in order to be able to determine the true from the false, By determining a proper method of evaluation. It is needed in order to use and obtain knowledge of the world around us. Without epistemology, We could not think.
https://www. Iep. Utm. Edu/epistemo/
Posted by Sandj219 3 years ago
Sandj219
As an answer to the first con's argument;
In genesis chapter 1 is giving a very brief summary of the order of events. In Genesis chapter 2 it is going back and describing the same event in greater detail.
this is for arguments one and two
for argument three i would say that god is treating all alike
he is not choosing who he shows grace to, They are choosing whether they accept the grace or not.