Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
QuantumR8t
MrMaestro

There is no "pink tax"

QuantumR8t has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

QuantumR8t

Pro

There is no pink tax. It is simply a political topic made up by the feminist movement that has no stable and real evidence. The pink tax is all chosen by the eye of the beholder. Women's products usually contain different ingredients and materials. As the Foundation of Economic Education says,

"Perhaps women"s haircuts cost more than men"s because they are more complicated or require more skill on the part of the service provider. Perhaps women"s clothes cost more to dry clean because they have, On average, More embellishments or other aspects of the fabric that require more care by the dry cleaner. We might call both men"s and women"s shirts "shirts, " but that doesn"t make them the same thing for the purposes of dry cleaning them. The same goes for haircuts. " https://fee. Org/articles/is-there-really-a-pink-tax/

Women's and men's products are extremely different and unique in there own ways. Just like the shirt example, A women may have more fragile clothes that need more care than a men's shirt.

Another stable piece of evidence is that some men or women are willing to pay more for something than a women or man usually would. As the Investor's Business Daily said in their article about the pink tax,

"This is how markets work. As the GAO put it: 'To maximize profits, Firms use a variety of techniques to charge prices close to the highest price different consumers are willing to pay. ' Men apparently are willing to pay more for shaving gel, But not for perfume. "
(there is some more information that I couldn't include but if you would like to read it here is the link https://www. Investors. Com/politics/editorials/pink-tax-gender-bias/)

Women and men's products are very different and are priced upon the market of the product, And not by the sex its being sold to.
MrMaestro

Con

My opponent "The pink tax does not exist! "
---Proceeds to list reasons why woman pay more than men---

You've done a fantastic job of explaining why products marketed specifically toward women are generally more expensive than those marketed for men. The "pink tax" is a concept used to explain this economic phenomenon. The pink tax is mostly* driven by simple economics, Not malice, As my opponent has pointed out.

You seem to be under the impression that explaining why it exists makes it disappear?
Just because we understand what causes it, Doesn't mean it stops existing. Women are still paying more money for products, Regardless of the reason. Simply explaining it does nothing to relieve that burden. You would have realized that if you had stopped to empathize with their position.
QuantumR8t

Pro

I don't personally believe their is such thing as a "pink tax", And I don't believe in "empathize with their position". There is simply no such thing as a "pink tax" because markets, Stores, And products don't target women and charge more, It simply wouldn't and doesn't make sense. If this were true, Many companies would be in trouble for sex-based discrimination.

Even so if women are paying more for products, Then what does it have to do anything with the relation to mens products? Wouldn't this simply just mean that womens products are more expensive to manufacture or make? If its such a problem that mens razors/shampoo/etc usually cost less, Then why not just get mens razors/shampoo/etc?

I personally think that womens products and mens products are mainly priced based on the fact of how much they cost to make plus the amount of money the company wants to make off of it, Not because of gender.
MrMaestro

Con

"There is simply no such thing as a "pink tax" because markets, Stores, And products don't target women and charge more, It simply wouldn't and doesn't make sense. If this were true, Many companies would be in trouble for sex-based discrimination. "

I could go and create a Facebook or Google ad right now, targeted exlusively at woman. I could charge whatever I want for my product. There's no law against targeted marketing.

"If its such a problem that mens razors/shampoo/etc usually cost less, Then why not just get mens razors/shampoo/etc? "

Right, I suppose they could also start buying mens tampons, Or mens pantyhose, Or mens clothing too? Mens razors are meant for faces, Womans razors are meant for legs. Products are designed for their target market. This isn't a solution.

"I personally think that womens products and mens products are mainly priced based on the fact of how much they cost to make plus the amount of money the company wants to make off of it, Not because of gender. "

No one is claiming a mass conspiracy against woman. Prices are detemined by market forces. Market forces take gender into account though.

---

[1] According to the US Department of Consumer Affairs, On average, Across these five industries, Women’s products cost 7% more than similar products for men. Specifically:
7% more for toys and accessories
4% more for children’s clothing
8% more for adult clothing
13% more for personal care products
8% more for senior/home health care products

The result of this is that Woman have less purchasing power than men, Which is bad for the economy, And bad for woman in general.

[1] https://www1. Nyc. Gov/assets/dca/downloads/pdf/partners/Study-of-Gender-Pricing-in-NYC. Pdf
Posted by DavidMancke 3 years ago
DavidMancke
Tampon: you lose