DebateKug
namdorf

Third Wave Feminism is unnecessary

DebateKug has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

DebateKug

Pro

So, I think that Third Wave Feminism is unnecessary. First of all, Let's define third wave feminism. First Wave feminism focused on legal issues like the right to vote, Necessary to start second wave feminism, Which was focused on domestic issues. These are of course necessary but I don't feel that we need further reform when women have equal rights brought from these 2 waves of feminism.
namdorf

Con

I'd like to start by summarizing what I and many other feminists find to be the purposes of the waves:
So, First wave feminism was about basic civil rights.
Second wave feminism was generally focused on complete equal rights.
Third wave feminism is about equal treatment of both sexes.

It is undeniably true that men and women have equal rights. I will admit that much. However, It would be a complete and utter lie to say that men and women are treated equally, And equality of treatment is what third wave feminism is all about.
I would like to add that equality of treatment means equality of opportunity, Not equality of outcome.

A brief look at statistics (which I can procure if you wish) shows that men and women are far from equal.
Men are more likely to commit suicide.
Women are more likely to be murdered.
Men are more likely to become homeless.
Women are less likely to become politicians.

Third wave feminism seeks to close these gaps, And that is why it is necessary.

Women are abused, Segregated and oppressed in many third world countries.
Female genital mutilation is legal in most of these countries.
Women are stuck in arranged marriages, Little more than payment.

Third wave feminism seeks to end that, And that is why it is necessary.

Note: A lot of people have their view of feminism tainted by hardcore Social Justice Warriors, That many love to portray as the archetypal feminist. The latter is an immature practice as old as the feminist movement itself, The former are not feminists. They believe in the superiority of women, Which goes against 'men and women should be equal', The core belief of feminism.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
The fems need to recognize their right to be bare foot and pregnant. LOL
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
4th Wave Feminism is the way forward. It's all about position reversal and delicate stuff. All flimsy and seemingly trivial but oh so vital. Anything masculine and demanding just doesn't cut the mustard. Just investigate a busy high street on a warm summers day and you can pick out the fourth wavers at a glance. Yes it's back to basics as it were, But no one said basics couldn't be sexy!
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
2nd wave feminism was bad.