JustinLiu
Shaun.D

This house believes that the popularity of child celebrities has caused more harm than good

JustinLiu has forfeited round #2.

JustinLiu

Pro

Good morning members of this house, today I, as the 1st speaker will be talking about the impact of the dressing of the child celebrities on the society, as well as the impact of the people turning materialistic on the economy. My second speaker will be talking about the effect of the population mimicking the child celebrities, and my third speaker will continue the case for our side.

Before I continue with my substantives, allow me to define some keywords in today"s motion. According to Oxford Dictionary, popularity means the state of being liked, admired or supported by a large group of people and a celebrity is a famous person. A child is a young human below the age of 14, according to Singapore Children"s Society.

Now allow me to move on to my substantives.

The popularity of child celebrities means that there is a greater demand for child celebrities from the audience, hence resulting in more people stepping up to fulfill that demand.

However, to sustain the lifestyle of a child celebrity, as well as make them appear presentable to the public, parents will purchase material goods such as clothing and accessories for their child to better appeal to the public. As a result of that action, the child celebrities will grow used to wearing such expensive clothing and accessories, thinking that it is their entitlement. However, if these privileges are taken away from them, they will be unused to it, am make demands for it. Hence, wearing expensive clothing and accessories will make the child celebrity materialistic.

Research carried out by the New York Times has proven that materialism will affect the individual"s mental and physical health. This proves that allowing child celebrities to wear such expensive clothing and accessories will not help them, but instead, harm them.

Hence, the popularity of child celebrities will result in significant harms in the individual.

Now, onto my second substantive, which will be speaking about the impact of child celebrities on the overall society.

The impact of this problem will not only affect the individual child celebrity, but will also impact the society greatly. The popularity of child celebrities will result in many parents wanting to provide the same for their children, so as to allow them to be the same as those child celebrities, as well as to appeal to the public. If there are many child celebrities, or children who dress up like them, when they grow up, they will not have good social skills and decision making skills, because they will be too conscious about things that they should not be too concerned about, such as their physical appearance. They will also be materialistic. An entire generation with such poor traits will result in an unsustainable society that puts emphasis on incorrect values.

Research carried out by YouGov, a marketing research company in the United Kingdom, has proven that celebrity culture is 37% of the biggest threats to children, which leaves 63% for other threats.

The effect of the society dressing themselves up to mimic the child celebrities will cause significant harms to the economy, as they will become materialistic and cause the economy to become unsustainable. For all these reasons, this motion must stand.

Thank you
Shaun.D

Con

Good morning members of the house, The opposition would like to clearly states the notion it believes in before heading any further, we the members of the opposition believe that "a child under the age of fourteen, who attains the status of a celebrity cannot pose a threat to society" I the first speaker will address certain inaccuracies presented by the former speaker and proceed to make points on role models and parenting my points intertwined within the addresses of the firsts speakers inaccuracies. Our second speaker will address issues of morale and current trends finally our third speaker will close with our summary and a few additional points.

Opening government I must say started off well, I see how their argument; put forth very eloquently, can convince the majority how being a Child celebrity is act that should be condemned. But never the less I would like to put forth certain statements made by their first speaker that stands on "debatable ground" (pun intended); and as I do this I shall make my own points clear.

"Materialism" according to the oxford dictionary is "the belief that money, possessions and physical comforts are more important than spiritual values" spiritual " meaning morale.

A compromise on morale value for objects of monetary worth is called materialism; thieves are materialists. The desire to have monetary worth is not materialism. If a parent buys expensive clothing for a child because they were to go on a public platform, the intention is to make their child appealing; this intention is good and the parent is willing to do it cause if they weren"t they wouldn"t, if a sense of pride begins to arise within the child, which will eventually surface if existed, it is the role of the parent to take corrective action, which all smart parents do. To add a bit more context, if a person were to own a lot it wouldn"t make them a materialist, it is the means to gaining these goods that account for materialism and not owning it in itself. Materialism damages mental health agreed, but no research shows that children in position of material can become materialists just by possession alone.

To feel bad that I have to degrade from a Rolex to a titan is one thing, but to throw a tantrum because of it is materialism.

In the second substantive that the speaker mentions, he talks about incorrect values that society will adopt; those values being Narcissism and materialism; the adoption of these values are solely based on what a child looks at when they see the celebrity. If attention is paid to the glamour of the life they life and it begins to affect their own personality it is wrong but if attention is paid to what they do, the values they adopt will be different. Children should learn to differentiate between a good role model and a bad role model; obsession must be avoided. Child celebrities are people who can be used to show instances of giving and donating through charity rallies they can also be testaments to children that age is not a barrier to accomplishment.

In conclusion I would like to add that celebrities as individuals should have no obligations to what they do in society weather they are doing good or bad; yes it affects their image and view of people who look up to them but the reason the masses looked up to them in the first place is because of the role they played on some TV series or some YouTube video or any statement on social media. Distinguishing between the two is very important (social role and individual role). The point highlighted here is that celebrities should not be concerned about their viewers when it comes to their own individual action.

A POI that I would take the initiative to point out is that the biggest threat to children is cyber bullying. 1/4 children undergo some form of bullying on the internet a statistic by the NSPCC