Retrobobobo
DaynaDebating808

Those with down syndrome shouldn't reproduce

Retrobobobo

Pro

I understand there is a whole movement for those with down syndrome, How they aren't that different than us, Or that they can think the same things.
If this is true, Then why is the average IQ for those with down syndrome in the 50s? (same as that of an 8 or 9 yr old) This can vary person to person but that is the average.

Females with down syndrome have a 50% chance to have children that have down syndrome, So I believe they should not reproduce.

Those with Down syndrome have to get special education and can't drive. 90% of them live in poverty and don't help the flow of the economy. They use taxpayers dollars to support themselves.
So all in all, I believe that those with Down syndrome shouldn't reproduce.
DaynaDebating808

Con

Just because of a certain physical disorder, The reason to reproduce is not hindered. Based on the parents, There is a 50/50 chance of passing down the syndrome, Meaning that the child may or may not bear the syndrome. The parents may do as they please, And love the child as they will. Just because someone has an issue doesn't mean that their will and availability of creating life is destroyed. Saying something like that is completely biased, And unruly. Although, If you were to provide a good point, I would RESPECTFULLY disagree. In my opinion, Deciding that they are unable to bear a child because of a disorder is extremely biased, Because you usually aren't focusing on the child itself but it's looks. Just because someone has a disorder, Doesn't mean that they are any dumber than anybody. In your words, You stated that people with down syndrome have an IQ of 50 or lower, However, The IQ does not actually show your intelligence. Ones' intelligence cannot be measured by numbers, Let alone by their own age. The qualification of IQ is to get a proper understanding, However, When it comes to IQ, It is not exact, Or correct. Just because someone has an issue, Does not mean that you can rid them of their own parental duties, And willingness to risk their own life and well being for what they create, May it be a child with down syndrome or not. It doesn't make them different, And you shouldn't think of them differently. Do not try to take away someones happiness. I heard that the first time a woman sees her child, She cries. Why? Because she is happy. You should not take away that happiness for your own sake. Hell, The person you see in the subway could have a disorder, And you wouldn't know, So why is anybody different, And why take away their freedom of choice? I rest my case.
Retrobobobo

Pro

I am not taking their happiness away for my own sake, Not for anyone's sake but the economy. As I meantioned beforehand, 90% of those with down syndrome are in poverty.
They require physical help and need, Use tax payers money but don't contribute much back into society.
Yes they would be happy if they had a child, But are they even able to take care of said child whilst most are in poverty? They need help from the government to support themselves much less themselves and a child. They aren't that accepted into society and will feel ridicule all their lives.

I have never heard a parent say they want a child with Down syndrome Before and I doubt any parent will. The fact that it's a 50% chance they will have one is quite significant.
Yes they would be happy having a child of their own to feel responsible and raise, But that child will also grow up with ridicule and not many chances and will also need help all their life. I'm not saying we should ban those with Down syndrome from reproducing, I'm just arguing it'd be better if they didn't reproduce.

I have done hours of research, And from I see yes those with Down syndrome are happy. But they all have one thing in common, They want to feel normal. They want to be accepted, But it's human nature to find flaws and find those who are different because appearance is what people see first and it's what they will most likely judge people on.

If you know that the chances will be that high to make a kids life different forever; a life of ridule and no chances, Why would you do it? To make yourself happy for having a child that could grow up to neve feel accepted?

Thank you for your side, But I just don't beleive that they should reproduce since their offspring has a huge chance of being the same way and excluded from a lot of everydsy things, Such as driving cars.
DaynaDebating808

Con

DaynaDebating808 forfeited this round.
Retrobobobo

Pro

Retrobobobo forfeited this round.
DaynaDebating808

Con

DaynaDebating808 forfeited this round.
Posted by Retrobobobo 3 years ago
Retrobobobo
would appear I swayed my opponents' mind. . . Anyone else cares to try?
Posted by Retrobobobo 3 years ago
Retrobobobo