PandaXpress
YomKippur

Torture should be utilized by the United States of America

YomKippur has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

PandaXpress

Pro

This debate will center on whether or not torture should be utilized in Western countries (specifically in the United States of America, Arguably the strongest Western country militarily and one that has been seen using torture moreso than others in the past). I will be taking the pro side that torture should be used, And you (whoever you may be) will be taking the con that torture should not be used.

Round 1 should simply be acceptance and any information you're willing to add.

Round 2 will be your arguments

Round 3 will be rebuttals

And the final round will be your summary and any remaining rebuttals you may have.

My only rule is that you remain respectful. I will most certainly remain respectful for you, So I expect recirprocation. But whatever style you want to use is fine by me.

I look forward to your response. :)
YomKippur

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for the opportunity to debate on this interesting and relevant topic. I am looking forward to seeing what my opponent has to say as well as presenting the arguments for my position. I hope to have a respectful and informative debate.

I will be taking the position of con in this debate. I will arguing that torture should NOT be utilized by the United States of America or any other Western country.

I wish my opponent the best of luck :)
PandaXpress

Pro

For this debate, I contend that torture is, On whole, Beneficial to the United States of America.

Before I begin, I would like to offer the following definition of torture (as provided by the UN)-

the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, Whether physical or mental, Is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him, Or a third person, Information or a confession, Punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, Or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, Or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, When such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, Inherent in, Or incidental to, Lawful sanctions.

Tl;dr- intentionally inflicting pain or suffering on a person for information, Punishment, Or other reasons

Now, Onto the argument itself.

Machiavelli stated in his famous political treaty "The Prince" that "the ends justify the means. " While I"m not arguing here today this is always the case, It's certainly an interesting thought in today"s debate. If there"s a ticking time bomb, A dangerous threat, Does the end result of potentially saving scores of human lives outweigh torturing one madman?

War cannot exist without collateral damage. It will happen inevitably, No matter how "smart" our weapon systems become. Every time the United States orders a drone strike on another country, We accept the fact that innocent civilians will die in the process. It"s not and if, And, Or but. And it isn"t like we simply agree that killing innocents is a benefit. Rather, We decide that the costs of collateral damage are less than the benefits of that drone strike.

So, If we were to kill thousands of innocent men, Women, And children in these attacks, Why is the idea of torturing a known and dangerous terrorist suddenly so reprehensible?

Especially in this case, Where the United States is using the information ascertained from torture to save lives. . Former CIA director George Tenet said that the CIA"s "enhanced interrogation" program (in essence, Torture, But watered down) had saved lives, Disrupted plots and provided 'invaluable' information in the war against terrorism [1]. Trusting ex-director Tenet"s words, We can assume that our use of what is basically torture has already saved many lives and has helped us defeat the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks and further.

I urge you to consider this. How is it even remotely sound to say that instantaneously murdering women and children with bombs and drones is OK but briefly harming terrorists for information is terrible? I assure you that 0 children and infants are held at Guantanamo Bay and are being tortured, But many are dying from our attacks.

Thank you for your time, And I look forward to your response.

SOURCES
My brain
[1]- https://www. Economist. Com/leaders/2007/09/20/the-real-price-of-freedom
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
A Goy denies the holocaust or declares that Jews control governments and the banks - that's classic Alt Reich. An uneducated Goy who assumes that White people have high IQs - that's Alt Reich. A Psycho who fears for white survival and hates all religions other than Xtianity -- that's Alt Reich.

White supremacists have a victimhood psychosis - that's Alt Reich. Males who despise the equality of women - that's Alt Reich. White male dominated folks who hold prejudicial feelings and see the world as a conflict of races - that's Alt Reich.

This pathetic group of arrogant buffoons favor violence and view other "inferior races" as lower on the evolutionary scale. Supremacists hate groups - that's Alt Reich.