jrardin12
deathtank55555

True Christianity is the Best thing that ever Happened

jrardin12

Pro

Con begins with reasons why it is not.
deathtank55555

Con

Thank you Pro for creating such a wonderful debate topic.
I will interpret the prompt, "True Christianity is the Best thing that ever Happened", As "Christianity is the thing that has positively affected humanity the most", Christianity referring to the religion by the same name, And a thing is a idea, Or physical object.
I'm assuming that you are christian, And I would like to say I am not.
I hope that the christian voters and non-christian voters out there will not be biased because of this, And honestly reply what they think is better.
My first argument is so:
Christianity is just a whole lot of ideas without any significant scientific strength as a theory. And before you tell me all about how this isn't an argument on science, That it's on religion, I'd like to say that I don't want to see this debate, As most threads on religion do, Turn into a debate on if christianity is true or false. If you'd like to contend my claim that it has no significant scientific strength, Provide a proof.
Something with no strength as a theory, Even if it has impacted people's lies positively, Cannot be hands down the best thing that ever happened to mankind. Of course something substantial, That you could either see in your hand or that is proved should be better.
Secondly, You are the one that needs to provide a proof, Not me.
I'll let you off, But in science and in the real world you prove the extraordinary claim.
I would say your claim is extremely extraordinary as you claim one thing, Out of a decillon or more things, Is the one that impacted the humanity the best.
I'm looking forward to those refutations and arguments.
Sorry for the length, I was short on time.
Thanks,
deathtank55555
jrardin12

Pro

I want to thank you for your civility. I normally get some person who just insults Christianity without trying to understand it. I want say that I am a Baptist, So according to the Bible the Catholic Church is not a true Christian church. Therefore I will say that true Christianity and science go hand in hand. God established the rules of science and a Christian can enjoy the study of science more so because we praise God for everything he has shown us. Indeed the Protestant Reformation opened up science because people were allowed to read the Bible and discover some of the fundamentals of science in the Bible. Johannes Kepler, Isaac Newton and Carlus Linnaeus are some examples of Protestant scientists.
deathtank55555

Con

I would also like to thank you for the same.
However, Most of the religious debates I have seen so far are the trolls in Yahoo Answers, So I guess anything's good compared to them.
Also, I'm sort of ignorant about the topic of Christianity, But not that much so I can't do this debate.
However, I would like to object to some things in your argument.
"God established the rules of science and a Christian can enjoy the study of science more so because we praise God for everything he has shown us. "
Not exactly. At least a couple Christians I know are extremely anti-science, And although I know it's a small sample size, And that probably they aren't really truly Christian, But the fact stands that scientists are more likely to be atheist than the general population.

In Perceptions of Religious Discrimination Among U. S. Scientists, Scheitle and Ecklund write, "Research has shown that U. S. Academic scientists are significantly less religious than the general U. S. Population. Ecklund's (2010) survey of scientists working in 21 U. S. Elite research universities, For example, Found that 53 percent did not identify with a religion and 34 percent stated unequivocally that they do not believe in God. This compares to 16 and 2 percent in the general population according to similarlyR08;timed General Social Surveys" (Scheitle, And Ecklund).

"Indeed the Protestant Reformation opened up science because people were allowed to read the Bible and discover some of the fundamentals of science in the Bible. Johannes Kepler, Isaac Newton and Carlus Linnaeus are some examples of Protestant scientists. "
Although it is true of Kepler that he wanted to become an astronomer because of religion, That does not mean he would not have if such religion did not exist. Of Isaac Newton, Some of his views were at odds with Protestant's and the general public back then. Now he would be known as a Unitarian. Also, Many people were Christian, And I would believe Protestant, Back then.

There are also many non-Protestant scientists, Namely most of the ones that you didn't mention. Not to mention the math done by and created by ancient Chinese and Indian civilizations, Which probably in most ways better than what Kepler did in astronomy, Under the influence of other religions. It's not just the Protestant sect of Christianity that influences others for the better, And not just Christianity either. If you want to prove it, I need more than just examples. Thus is the way of science.

I would like to make another point.
The protestant religion, Or religion in general, Has caused much war. Although some wars like the crusades allowed technology to be exchanged, The same could be said about submarines in the World Wars. That doesn't make any of them a good thing. Most wars can be linked to religion directly; protestant suppression of Irish Catholics caused wars, World Wars were caused by genocide, Crusades were caused by a religious dispute. There is almost no way religion in general, Or perhaps true christianity, Could have done more good than harm

Works Cited
Scheitle, Christopher P. , And Elaine Howard Ecklund. "Perceptions Of Religious Discrimination Among U. S. Scientists". Journal For The Scientific Study Of Religion, Vol 57, No. 1, 2018, Pp. 139-155. Wiley, Doi:10. 1111/jssr. 12503. Accessed 3 Nov 2018.
jrardin12

Pro

It depends on what science you are talking about. If you are saying the Christians you know are anti-science because they don't believe in evolution, Well I agree with them. Evolution is not needed for science.

The reason for less Christian scientists is because of what is taught in the universities. If I remember correctly the universities are not fond of Christianity or God. However, These same scientists use the science that God has placed in the world. The same goes to the ancient Chinese and Indians. I am not saying they can't be scientists, What I am saying is they use God's science. That would then lead to a discussion of whether or not the God of the Bible exists.

The submarines are a scientific invention as well as nuclear bombs, But does that make those scientists evil for what they invented? As I recall Einstein helped with the atomic bomb. I want to emphasize again true Christianity. A true Christian follows the Bible and Jesus never taught about starting wars. He did encourage self-defense, But never to go to war. The Crusades were A. ) Started by Catholics, Which though you include them with all Christianity, You have to remember that the Protestants are not very happy with them since they also killed many of our spiritual forefathers. The World Wars were not started by true Christians. Actually in Germany the main ideas taught in universities were anti-God. Hitler believed in many anti-Biblical ideas and imprisoned and executed many Protestant preachers for speaking against him. Also the Crusades were dressed up like a religious effort, But really it was about a balance of power, But that is another long discussion.

If you want to study about real Christianity and how it works read up on the Baptists, Presbyterians and Methodists. Those are some good examples of what true Christianity looks like. Those denominations follow the Bible the closest among all "Christian" denominations.
deathtank55555

Con

deathtank55555 forfeited this round.
jrardin12

Pro

Ok. Could you just fill thes last rounds with whatever so it will end. Thanks.
deathtank55555

Con

Sorry for missing the last round's deadline, I do not intend to forfeit this argument.

"It depends on what science you are talking about. If you are saying the Christians you know are anti-science because they don't believe in evolution, Well I agree with them. Evolution is not needed for science. "

Evolution has much more scientific basis than Christianity in general. And also I never mentioned evolution in my argument, Can you please refute my original point?

"The reason for less Christian scientists is because of what is taught in the universities. If I remember correctly the universities are not fond of Christianity or God. However, These same scientists use the science that God has placed in the world. The same goes to the ancient Chinese and Indians. I am not saying they can't be scientists, What I am saying is they use God's science. That would then lead to a discussion of whether or not the God of the Bible exists. "

It may be true that they use "God's science". But that doesn't get to my original point; which in case was that Christianity has little scientific basis. If you give a proof of Christianity or god in general, Then it is scientifically sound. My argument was not, In fact that Science is unrelated to Christianity, Instead that there is no hard proof that Christianity exists. To put it bluntly, A false delusion is never better than something materialistic.

"The submarines are a scientific invention as well as nuclear bombs, But does that make those scientists evil for what they invented? As I recall Einstein helped with the atomic bomb. "

You have misinterpreted my argument. One of the possible refutations to my argument was that how war allowed new technology to travel around/cultural exchange. I just cleared that out of the way.

"I want to emphasize again true Christianity. A true Christian follows the Bible and Jesus never taught about starting wars. He did encourage self-defense, But never to go to war. "

Here we have it. The ole no true scotsman fallacy. A true Christian, As I thought when accepting this argument and while arguing against you is someone who belongs to the protestant sect. Don't just answer the argument by changing the definition.

"The Crusades were A. ) Started by Catholics, Which though you include them with all Christianity, You have to remember that the Protestants are not very happy with them since they also killed many of our spiritual forefathers. The World Wars were not started by true Christians. Actually in Germany the main ideas taught in universities were anti-God. Hitler believed in many anti-Biblical ideas and imprisoned and executed many Protestant preachers for speaking against him. Also the Crusades were dressed up like a religious effort, But really it was about a balance of power, But that is another long discussion. "

How about the irish wars? Britain is a largely protestant country, And the suppression it brought onto northern Ireland, Who were mainly conflict, Caused years of violence.
I'll list some more directly related to Protestants, Then.
The wars after the protestant reformation;
Nine Year's War, Savoyard-Waldensian Wars, And War of the Spanish Succesion
Peace of Augsburg
Thirty Year's war in general
Don't forget the prosecution or hate from protestants against christians, Or the discrimination against gays or other sinners brought on by religion.

Now after rebutting your arguments, I'll list some things which I believe are better than true christianity in the influence of mankind:
The discovery and usage of fire (for obvious reasons, Without fire we probably wouldn't have religion or any other things).
The discovery of the wheel (allowed transportation to be made much easier)
The printing press (allowed information to be spread easier and better; without it we probably wouldn't even have christianity as it was used to produce many bibles)
Electricity (obvious reasons)
Why is Christianity better than all of these things?
Thanks,
Deathtank55555
jrardin12

Pro

jrardin12 forfeited this round.
deathtank55555

Con

deathtank55555 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheBoldDebator 3 years ago
TheBoldDebator
I can't vote at the moment, But I definitely agree with what jrardin12 has to say about this all. I'm also a truly saved christian baptist and keep uo the good work spreading the Gospel!
Posted by GuitarSlinger 3 years ago
GuitarSlinger
In order to determine which Christianity is the "True Christianity", All you have to do is take each sect and trace it's origins and beliefs. If the sect's origins and beliefs emanate from Christ, Then one can argue it's the true Christianity.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Oral sex is the best thing that ever happened, And you'll be on your knees awhile convincing me otherwise.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
He wants con to assume christianity is true, He is trying to eat his face, The little zombie
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Of the over 40 thousands different sects of Christianity which one is the true christianty? The westboro Baptist church?
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Your debate is an insult retard
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Christianity is false, Like any religion