Flywingcpy
Swetepete540

U. S. Mint should stop producing pennies

Started: 11/1/2018 Category: Economics

Flywingcpy

Pro

Pennies doesn't function as money since moneys are suppose to speed up day to day transactions. Instead speeding up exchanges, Due to the worthlessness of pennies, People either don't use them at all or waste everyone's time fiddling with pennies.
Also, The production of penny cost our government money. It cost us 1. 82 cents to make a penny, According to usmint. Gov "The unit cost for both pennies (1. 82 cents) and nickels (6. 60 cents) remained above face value for the twelfth consecutive year. Higher metal costs and higher unit costs generated a larger net loss ($89. 8 million) for these two denominations compared to FY 2016"
We have done this before, The half-cent was elminated in 1857 and it didn't cause that much a trouble despite its value being higher than the penny today. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden and several Nation in Europe have already gotten rid of their lowest value coin, U. S. Should do it too.
Swetepete540

Con

The penny is A part of U. S. History why would we just get rid of it even though it's not worth much it is still a part of U. S. History. I think that pennies should be kept.
Flywingcpy

Pro

I hope Con notices that U. S. Have done this before, The half-cent was ridden of in 1857, Many things that were part of History was ridden of, Including things such as slavery. Of course pennies wouldn't be important like slavery, But it is still something that drag us behind progress.
And also, We are not banning pennies outright, But just melting the pennies that were received in stores to slowly get them out of circulation, Those who believe penny should be part of their life can keep their jars all they wish and no one is kicking down their door and taking jars.
The penny should be ridden of because it isn't value our time and money, The same reason they gave when the half-cent were ridden.
Swetepete540

Con

Swetepete540 forfeited this round.
Flywingcpy

Pro

Flywingcpy forfeited this round.
Swetepete540

Con

Swetepete540 forfeited this round.
Flywingcpy

Pro

Flywingcpy forfeited this round.
Swetepete540

Con

Swetepete540 forfeited this round.
Posted by stcve 3 years ago
stcve
Let"s do it! You can post your first argument, And we will go from there.
Posted by Flywingcpy 3 years ago
Flywingcpy
Hey Stcve I'm not satisfied with this debate either, If you wish, I could start another one and challenge you
Posted by stcve 3 years ago
stcve
My frustration started when someone else took this debate, And it has only increased more as he fails to bring out decisive points, And now he forfeits his turn! Please try harder. You took on the con position, So own it. Do your research and come back with fair points. If you are not, I am willing to step in.
Posted by Flywingcpy 3 years ago
Flywingcpy
Yes, I agree with SansSkeleton, Pennies after mostly out of circulation should be placed in museums just like other old coins such as half-cent or the Republic of Texas coins.
Posted by SansSkeleton 3 years ago
SansSkeleton
Greetings. I have read through the comments and the debate rounds, And what I think we should do with pennies is this, We can get rid of pennies. Now, About the entire "pennies are a part of American history", Well the solution here is practically simple. What the U. S. Mint can do is stop producing pennies, But after about ten to twenty years, Museums that are the past of American history can hold a couple of pennies in glass containers, So people can remember when they used to have a one-cent coin in their pockets. Not only will people not "forget" about American history, But it will save the U. S. Mint plenty of resources and money and leave everyone happy. Thank you for taking my statement into consideration.
Posted by SansSkeleton 3 years ago
SansSkeleton
Posted by Flywingcpy 3 years ago
Flywingcpy
The item that cost $2. 06 after tax would be rounded down to $2. 05 after tax, Because U. S. Doesn't include sales tax in prices, Story for another time. We would always round to the nearest. 05, Though many stores in places that stopped making pennies always rounds down to earn the customer's favor, It doesn't really matter.
The point of Eliminating penny is because they are inefficient, Once you eliminate the dime and quarters, You have to carry a lot more coins around, Which eliminate the convenience of currencies.
Posted by tgrab 3 years ago
tgrab
Every price including the tax result in multiples of. 05? How would you pay cash for items that cost $2. 06? I have to adjust the price so that the item with tax is $2. 05? Do we always round up, Down or to nearest. 05? Maybe, We should eliminate the dime and quarter instead, As everything else can be made out of a nickles and pennies. Toss in the argument of having any currency at all. . .
Posted by Flywingcpy 3 years ago
Flywingcpy
I think the pennies should be removed just like how Canada did it. U. S. Mint stop producing pennies, But pennies will still be legal to use. In stores, You can still pay by exact change if you want to waste everyone's time, Once the store receive the penny, It will no longer keep it but send it to Mint to be melted down. In term of prices, They will stay the same, 2. 49 stuff will stay 2. 49, The difference is if you pay by card, The prices stay the same, But if you pay by cash and don't have the exact change, It will be rounded to the nearest 0. 05, 2. 49 to 2. 5, 2. 46 to 2. 45.
or the prices can simply be rounded to the nearest 0. 05 for everything, The point is, A few cents more or less really wouldn't matter in our day to day life and it just doesn't worth our time for it.
As our days go on, The amount of pennies in circulation would slowly go off and pennies will die with it, Not really a big change in my perspective but I would love some enlighten on it
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
How do you think the United States should remove pennies?

Can you steel man Con?

Steel man: is an improvement of someone's position or argument that is harder to defeat than their originally stated position or argument

Don't have to but I am sure it will help bolster your points if you can answer these questions. If you can answer these sufficiently then the only thing you really need to do is rebut the arguments for pennies which should be easy because the arguments themselves with a little research proves most of them wrong.

Yes I know, You might give someone an argument for this but what is more important the speech or this debate?