Flywingcpy
Swetepete540

U. S. Mint should stop producing pennies

Started: 11/1/2018 Category: Economics

Flywingcpy

Pro

Pennies doesn't function as money since moneys are suppose to speed up day to day transactions. Instead speeding up exchanges, Due to the worthlessness of pennies, People either don't use them at all or waste everyone's time fiddling with pennies.
Also, The production of penny cost our government money. It cost us 1. 82 cents to make a penny, According to usmint. Gov "The unit cost for both pennies (1. 82 cents) and nickels (6. 60 cents) remained above face value for the twelfth consecutive year. Higher metal costs and higher unit costs generated a larger net loss ($89. 8 million) for these two denominations compared to FY 2016"
We have done this before, The half-cent was elminated in 1857 and it didn't cause that much a trouble despite its value being higher than the penny today. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden and several Nation in Europe have already gotten rid of their lowest value coin, U. S. Should do it too.
Swetepete540

Con

The penny is A part of U. S. History why would we just get rid of it even though it's not worth much it is still a part of U. S. History. I think that pennies should be kept.
Flywingcpy

Pro

I hope Con notices that U. S. Have done this before, The half-cent was ridden of in 1857, Many things that were part of History was ridden of, Including things such as slavery. Of course pennies wouldn't be important like slavery, But it is still something that drag us behind progress.
And also, We are not banning pennies outright, But just melting the pennies that were received in stores to slowly get them out of circulation, Those who believe penny should be part of their life can keep their jars all they wish and no one is kicking down their door and taking jars.
The penny should be ridden of because it isn't value our time and money, The same reason they gave when the half-cent were ridden.
Swetepete540

Con

Swetepete540 forfeited this round.
Flywingcpy

Pro

Flywingcpy forfeited this round.
Swetepete540

Con

Swetepete540 forfeited this round.
Flywingcpy

Pro

Flywingcpy forfeited this round.
Swetepete540

Con

Swetepete540 forfeited this round.
Posted by Flywingcpy 3 years ago
Flywingcpy
Oh, I've seen that article before too, I'm writing a speech about it and most of the pro-penny point other than the "American likes them" can't convince me. Even if Americans like them, It's time to give it up for the better.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
https://www. Moneycrashers. Com/get-rid-penny-reasons/

Here is an article which can give you reasons for keeping the penny. Not going to debate because I don't think I can make a sufficient argument for keeping them.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
I totally agree, In Canada they have eliminated the penny 10 years ago and nobody misses it as there is nothing that costs less than 5 cents. Actually next is the elimination of the 5 cents as prices sky rocketed in Canada and 10 cents would be the lowest currency