PeckyLilDucko
screenjack

Uniforms in schools/workplaces should all be unisex/gender neutral

Started: 8/16/2018 Category: Fashion

PeckyLilDucko

Pro

Often in this day and age people begin to question their gender, Or simply aren't comfortable wearing their assigned genders' clothing. Having one uniform for both parties would make it easier for everyone involved and prevent distress.
screenjack

Con

I disagree with the pro for multiple reasons. For starters if you work at a themed or historical place that is trying to be accurate there are obvious reasons for differing uniforms. Next is the entire modeling profession which is literally paying people to wear certain items. A model can most certainly deny wearing an item for any reason but they aren't going to get paid for not doing their job. Lastly the image of a company isn't up to its employee's. As long as the company isn't portraying an illegal hateful message it can portray anything it wants to. If an employee is refusing to uphold the image of the company he works for he can be fired. It is important to remember that an employee is a representative of the company not vice versa. They're literally getting paid to wear those clothes. As far as school's go the government agrees on clothing standards for public schools. In order to change those standards you'd have to take it before the community and I don't see any reason to. Private schools are business and therefore can have their own standards.
PeckyLilDucko

Pro

Modeling or themed uniforms are not relevant to this argument, What I was referring to is uniform in shopping centres, Fast food chains etc. An employee is representative of the company, However they would be no less representative all wearing the same uniform, Instead of skirts being for girls for example. As you said about not seeing any reason to go before the community to change public school rules, That is irrelevant as this argument is about why they should be changed not how we would need to change them, Also is the mental health of our youth not an adequate reason?
Many children and adults are now questioning their gender identity and forcing them to fall into a binary could be harmful for all involved and often challenges their mental wellbeing.
screenjack

Con

So I'm going to stick to my argument and say that the companies right to choose its image is applicable to all fields. A companies image is a huge profit dictator no matter what the field and if you aren't managing the companies image it isn't your place to change it. You are at that point being paid to wear it and not be insubordinate. There is also an incredibly huge error in your argument when you mention not forcing skirts on people and then saying you're only arguing why these rules these rules should be changed not how. When, Where, Why, And how you are changing the rules is incredibly important because if you're arguing they should become the law of the land. Whatever land that may be.
Now as far as the gender identity politics go there are some very obvious and important things to cover. First, There is a biological difference between men and women. I can quote endless biologists if you like but I don't think it is necessary. Next, We have to take the number of people this is effecting and the number of people it's designed to help. There are more people with peanut allergies than people bent on gender fluidity. We haven't forced peanuts from our shelves because of those people I'm not about promote the forced removal of skirts from businesses uniforms. If you don't like a companies image then don't work there. You will hurt more people working for more companies with mandatory legal dress code than with picky company uniforms.
PeckyLilDucko

Pro

Yes a company has the right to choose how it is presented to the world, But why does that presentation have to differ between men and women? Changing the ways we present a company does not mean that it would appear any less professional.
Also, I'm sorry but I am unable to see the error in my argument, I was simply using skirts as an example of how uniform often falls into a binary.
I understand that there is obvious biological differences between men and women, However these difference have no effect on most uniforms. Relating to your statement about peanut butter allergies: approximately 1%-1. 6% of the population is affected by some form of peanut allergy, And approx 1. 7% is affected by being intersex. Intersex is only the physical attribute of having characteristics of both sexes, So we must add on the amount of people who are genderfluid/nonbinary/questioning gender which I was unable to find a reliable statistic for, And therefore I am able to debunk your statement about that.
Being intersex or having gender identity issues are both serious challenges in ones' life, And changing the uniform would not be harmful to companies/schools (in fact could be beneficial as they would only need to manufacture one type) in any way.
screenjack

Con

Once again it isn't about professionalism it is about a companies right to choose. If you're going to try and force companies to abide by your ideas on unisex uniforms someone has to enforce that. Since it obviously isn't going to be the company itself you have set a precedent that all people will follow because that's going to be law. Since you haven't set forth any kind of line on what unisex might actually entail for companies you're just slapping a word on it.
A study by ucla puts the transgender community at. 58% of the community. So no I'm not just talking out of my butt and here's a link. Https://www. Dailydot. Com/irl/transgender-population-in-us/ and I'm just going to assume all of those things you just listed could be covered as transgender. Think about it. There really isn't a single unifying definition of transgender or gender fluid and I can give you some examples. Dictionary. Com says it can be as broad as "noting or relating to a person who does not conform to societal gender norms or roles. " That definition could describe anyone who isn't ideally masculine or feminine. It can also be as narrow as "noting or relating to a person whose gender identity does not correspond to that person"s biological sex assigned at birth. " The quote is taken from the same site. Https://www. Dictionary. Com/browse/transgender? S=t, Then there's webmd who defines transgender as how someone feels. Https://www. Webmd. Com/sex/features/transgender-what-it-means#1. And therefore I'm able to debunk your statement about that.
lastly it can be harmful to a companies image because it could be construed as not allowing people to be masculine or feminine. Something people like because around 99% of the population identifies as male or female. As a matter of fact you could say it's built into our language. I mean could you imagine trying to speak gender neutral Spanish? You're argument isn't nuanced and doesn't have precedents, Definitions, Or a point.