Benistheboss
LuckyNumba13

Uniforms

Benistheboss has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Benistheboss

Con

I have been wearing a uniform for 5 years yes 5 years!!!!!!!! and it has been 24 seven omg that is so long.so hi my name is Ben and I believe schools should not have to have uniforms and it also makes a bigger bill for the poor people.so to all you principals out there just stop right now and make an assembly and say to all the boys and girls I have come to the conclusion that we shall never have to wear a uniform ever again in our life. And did you know that 50 % say that uniforms are good and 50 % so it is even which also means that people want uniforms and don't want uniforms. Did you know that Nineteen percent of public school principals reported requiring uniforms in the 2009-2010 school year, up from 12 percent a decade earlier.
LuckyNumba13

Pro

I do believe certain schools do go too far with the uniforms. The schools that I have seen in my area for example, start using uniforms as early as Pre K- 3. That, in my opinion, is an exaggeration. However, at some point in their lives, children need to start using uniforms in order to get accustomed to their adult lives. We can not just say, "Let them worry about that when they are adults", because even as adults some people just can not get used to it. I run into this situation all the time in both of my workplaces.

Also, in response to the financial burden that uniforms impose, I would have to disagree with you. Uniforms impose less of a burden than not using one. For example, I work for an employer where my uniform consists of a gray polo style shirt, and black pants. Currently, as far as clothes for work, I have two shirts. and two pants. Now, just imagine using only the same two shirts and two pants for school every day, for months in a non-uniform setting. There would be so much potential for ridicule by the other peers. Especially in their teen years when peer acceptance is so strongly desired. Choices then would be either (A) risk ridicule or (B) buy more clothes than many parents can afford.

As far as your statistics go, the numbers you mentioned are only going to get bigger. The declining middle class, and the increased awareness of bullying, and perhaps pseudo- bullying, are going to make uniforms for of a necessity.