these_republicans
Smug_Tomato

Using the Death Penalty

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Started: 2/11/2019 Category: Economics
Updated: 7 hours ago Status: Voting Period

these_republicans

Pro

The death penalty should be brought back for these reasons:
-Murder
-Killing a First Responder
-Rape
-Child Abuse
Reasoning: I believe this because in twenty years once the perpetrator is released, They could just continue to commit the same crimes.
Smug_Tomato

Con

I will be arguing against the use of the death penalty. I'm not going to address the crimes for which you believe the death penalty should be enforced as I do not believe that is relevant to the debate. With that being said;

I believe that the death penalty should not be used because:
1) The death penalty has proven to be ineffective at deterring major crime.
2) The death penalty can cause and has caused innocent people to be wrongfully executed for crimes that they did not commit.

Arguments will posted in R2.
these_republicans

Pro

To start the argument, The death penalty is a very useful strategy aged back to nearly the 1600's. If has proven to be effective towards keeping a prison population down and to punish someone for doing something cruel. I believe that if someone was to take the soul of another form of life, Their life deserves to perish. Although it may be against our beliefs to take someone's life, At least the person will not get out and do it repeatedly. And let's face it, Most likely if someone murdered another human they are looking forward to 20+ years of prison. If someone is ue to serve life then they should be executed because either way they will be killed in prison.

Contender's Turn
Smug_Tomato

Con

This isn't accepting my response. Sorry about that. I'll try again next round and see if it works, I guess.
these_republicans

Pro

Ok that's fine.
Smug_Tomato

Con

Okay, Let's try this again.

"The death penalty is a very useful strategy aged back to nearly the 1600's"
There's more proof to show that it is ineffective at stopping crime. Over the course of history this has been enforced as means of intimidation by governments to control the populace. Not as an effective means of stopping crime. Going outside of the US, There are a ton of cases of people being wrongfully executed around the world for crimes they did not commit.

"It has proved to be effective towards keeping a prison population down and to punish someone for doing something cruel. "
Controlling the total number of inmates in a prison is not a justification for taking a human life. There is also no proof that it is an effective punishment for people who commit heinous crimes.

"I believe that if someone was to take the soul of another form of life, Their life deserves to perish. "
This does not justify use of the death penalty. This is an opinion.

"Although it may be against our beliefs to take someone's life, At least the person will not get out and do it repeatedly. "
How do you know that they won't change in prison? There are many cases of people seeing the error of their ways and changing their life for the better. Rather than killing them, Why not help them to change their ways?

"And let's face it, Most likely if someone murdered another human they are looking forward to 20+ years of prison. If someone is due to serve life then they should be executed because either way they will be killed in prison. "
This still fails to justify use of the death penalty.
these_republicans

Pro

these_republicans forfeited this round.
Smug_Tomato

Con

Opponent forfeited, Vote con.
Posted by zhaod1 1 day ago
zhaod1
The Democrats want to give criminals second chances. The republicans want to severely punish criminals.
My idea would be a compromise, To use the death penalty in only very rare cases, But torture the criminals continuously during incarceration. That way, The criminal will have a second chance once he/she is released, But will be harshly punished for what they did.
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 days ago
Smug_Tomato
So it let me post my rebuttals but my actual argument is a no go. Sad really. I apologize for this. My main points were that there was no correlation between enforcing the death penalty and a decrease in crime and that innocent people have been wrongfully executed. For some reason, No matter what I try to do, It will not allow me to post the full argument.
Posted by these_republicans 3 days ago
these_republicans
@unicorngod it may not be in the future the left is trying to abolish it.
Posted by unicorngod 3 days ago
unicorngod
The death penalty is still a thing
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 days ago
Smug_Tomato
Well, This is dumb. It wouldn't accept my actual response but quickly accepted what I typed right there. Next round it is I guess!
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 days ago
Smug_Tomato
Yeah this debate isn't working, Unfortunately. Won't allow me to post my argument anywhere. I'm not sure why it's doing this.
Posted by Smug_Tomato 4 days ago
Smug_Tomato
Won't post my argument. Tragic.