Michaelbjenkins
Squirt3000

Wall vs No Wall

Michaelbjenkins

Con

Hello everyone! This is a topic a friend of mine had posted but for whatever reason, The website was not accepting my arguments. So, I decided to set it up as a new debate.

The main idea here is that the wall is a bad idea. Do we really want a gigantic economy draining wall built along America's southern border? I should say not!

First off, Proponents say that we have an immigration problem that stems from Mexico. The reality here is: "Forty-six percent of immigrants in 2016 reported their race as White, 27 percent as Asian, 9 percent as Black, And 15 percent as some other race; slightly more than 2 percent reported having two or more races. " (migrationpolicy) If the highest percentage of immigrants - other than white people - are Asians, Why aren't we stopping Asians from getting on planes? Or Europeans for that matter?

So, While a wall might work slowing down a tiny percentage of immigrants - the few that are actually coming from Mexico - it's not exactly feasible. "The number of Mexican unauthorized immigrants declined since 2007, But the total from other nations changed little. " (pewresearch) The majority of immigrants are coming here in order to make a better life for themselves, Right? If this is the case, Why not spend the same money to help them in their own countries. This is an idea that the Dali Llama stated when talking about Europe's immigration issues. If the majority of our country believes that immigration is enough of an issue to build a wall, We need to educate, And show that our tax dollars can be used to better the lives of people in general. This will virtually eliminate a need for a wall in the first place.

Last, We are not at war. A wall may be efficient on immigration - assuming that's even an issue - but it's not efficient in a military context. As far as I can tell, There would be two reasons to build a wall, Immigration and defense. It's no secret that the United States has the strongest military in the world. (businessinsider) With that being said, I seriously doubt the wall is being built for defense.

I would put references, But apparently we're not allowed to do that. So I'll just say that I plagiarized three separate websites for my information.
Squirt3000

Pro

Thanks my opponent for the debate let's us began :)

I believe we have to have a wall it could be Steel wall or even a brick wall could even be a virtual wall with advance sensor's on the ground and few miles out. But there must be a Wall. Barb wire on the ground and under the wall that is hidden beneath and Barb wire above the wall so they can't climb over it or use a ladder or build stairs. It won't stop illegals immediately or even completely but prevent majority of mass illegals from entering. Because Let's make one thing clear We will never stop illegals from entering completely but in 2018 alone 300, 000Plus was apphrended at the border(fact check. Org) that was actually caught who knows how many wasn't caught. So a wall will never prevent anything 100percent but it will cut down mass amount from entering all at once. A few may get through but the total amount will be reduced considerably. Similar to how many prisoners escape pass the walls of the prison is extremely low only a select few manage to make it past.

My opponent makes compelling case for why we shouldn't have a wall. But in must wonder could we protect out borders of our country on emotional appeal alone? My opponent says help the other countries so that we wouldn't need a wall in the first place. Sounds like a nice sentiment but perhaps we could try that on the real world let's tear down the walls of all the prisons and fight crime with emotional weapons teach these criminals love and respect so the wall wouldn't have been necessary. Sadly this is a poor way to stop criminals or from entering prison or in relation to our debate fixing other countries not going to stop people from entering our country by the droves.

I actually respect the idea however. To help another country reduce their drug cartels improve their economy etc. But ladies and gentlemen we need to work on our own country first reduce our debt dramatically. Our tax payers money pay for illegals that get in who get free healthcare reduced housing plus more where us as Americans have to work hard to get those things. As I stated before we will never stop illegals completely but reduce the amount astronomically using a wall.
Michaelbjenkins

Con

First off, You stated that I was using emotional appeal alone, While skipping over the fact that I cited: "Forty-six percent of immigrants in 2016 reported their race as White, 27 percent as Asian". If nearly three fourths of immigrants aren't even coming from Mexico, That makes your emotional argument of "there must be a wall" null and void.

In addition, The wall is being projected to cost between $15 billion and $70 billion. (politifact. Com) So in that sense, It's just not feasible. It sounds nice to say that we should build out of a less expensive material, As in your statement: "it could be Steel wall or even a brick wall"; though we both know that's not realistic. Especially when that money could be used somewhere else. "The UN estimates ending world hunger each year would cost $30 billion. " (politifact. Com) Which is surprisingly, A very close estimate to how much the wall would cost. So to imply that the material that the wall is made out of can reduce cost and still be efficient is missing the point.

Which kind of brings me back to my original idea that helping the other countries would reduce immigration significantly. This is more than just a nice sentiment, It's a fact. It would literally cost the same amount of money to end world hunger.

I do however, Agree that if our current tax dollars are "paying for illegals to get free healthcare and reduced housing", That such money should be allocated differently. Though as far as I can tell, Our tax dollars don't pay for illegal immigrants in that manner.
Squirt3000

Pro

Squirt3000 forfeited this round.
Michaelbjenkins

Con

Michaelbjenkins forfeited this round.
Squirt3000

Pro

Squirt3000 forfeited this round.
Michaelbjenkins

Con

Michaelbjenkins forfeited this round.
Squirt3000

Pro

Squirt3000 forfeited this round.
Michaelbjenkins

Con

Michaelbjenkins forfeited this round.
Squirt3000

Pro

Squirt3000 forfeited this round.