TouchtheSky
judaism

Was Jesus Christ the son of God?

TouchtheSky has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

TouchtheSky

Pro

I've been currently reading 'The Case for Christ' by Lee Strobel, and have been thinking a lot about the evidence given. I would love to discuss these ideas with other people and hear the other side of the story. I'm sending this out to multiple people whom I've either seen debating the opposing side to this argument, or have debated in the past. You don't have to have read the book to argue this discussion- we'll be basing our debate solely on the question of Jesus' divinity.

Over two thousand years ago, one man showed up and completely changed everything. He reset the whole timeline, convinced millions of people to completely change their lifestyles, and today, practically everyone alive knows his name. Countless times, I have questioned who he is and what he came to do. His whole message, on the surface, seems utterly bizarre, but if proven true, could completely change everything.

Through research and effort, I've come to the conclusion that Jesus was indeed truly God. I am a Christian- I support Christ's teachings and believe that he was sent from heaven to die for humanity. I would love to discuss this with you and hopefully be able to hear your opinions and discuss this kindly and politely together.
judaism

Con

Pro, I accept your challenge on the grounds that I hope we can have a fair and interesting debate, in which all participates take away something of great value from the other side. So before I begin, I'd just like to thank you for the kind words and passionate approach.

Now, I'll attempt to answer some questions you've raised concerning Jesus' Messiahship. Please note that I mean no malicious intent whatsoever. I'm solely concerned with the truth.

You ask a very famous question, one, which at first glance, can seem hard to answer. That question concerns Jesus.

I am somewhat familiar with Lee Strobel's work, I've seen the trailer for his latest version of the story not long ago when it came out. It seems Christian films have a great friend in Hollywood. Believe me, that's a good thing.

Honestly, I'm glad you're reaching out to people about this important matter, after all, if Jesus was the Messiah, the implications are astronomical.

But then there are some who say he wasn't the Messiah. The question is, why?

Why would anyone who's ever read the Hebrew Bible, obviously miss the vital prophecies which so clearly point to Jesus? How could Jewish congregations have been blinded to the truth behind such paramount passages as Isaiah 53, Daniel 9, and Psalm 22? What are the rabbis hiding from us?

The truth is, they're not hiding anything, and it is my belief that if you are open-minded enough to hear our side, our story, our interpretation of Scripture, in the course of this friendly debate, it will change your life forever.

You asked a second intriguing question in your opening post which I cannot fail to make mention of, it is one we Jews get asked a lot, and that question is, "Who was Jesus?" I mean, if the guy wasn't crazy, delusional, or malicious, then he must have been the son of G-d, right? That's the rationale when it comes to these kind of things. Okay, now let's step it up a notch. If Krishna wasn't who the Bhagavad Gita claimed him to be, then who was he? I hope you see through the deception of these questions, because that's their intent.

There is another question I'd like to raise. You wrote that Jesus must be the son of G-d simply because he has since changed the lives of billions. To us, the people of the book, it doesn't matter if he's changed the lives of anyone, and that's because one could easily point to Buddha or Muhammad. Have they not also had some form of impact on the lives of millions? How come Christians don't recognize them as divine beings sent from the Most High?

You may disagree with my point, and that's fine, but please keep in mind that Islam is soon becoming the largest faith the world has ever seen.

But that doesn't make it true.

Earlier, I said it would have astronomical consequences for the world if Jesus was the Messiah. Why should anyone care to question such a statement? Because if the New Testament is right, then we have to seriously consider verses such as John 3:6 and 2 Thessalonians 1:8, for they have paramount importance for the unbelievers, and Jews, as a whole. It is utterly inconceivable that such a horrid fate of eternal separation from G-d awaits those who perished in the Holocaust, and never had the chance to know Jesus, while those Nazis who turned on the gasses - if they accepted Jesus at the last moment before death - will be shrouded in eternal bliss and happiness. Are we suppose to check our rationale and worship such a monster, and then lower ourselves further to call such a being, G-d? I believe everyone is capable of answering that question for themselves.

Believe me, I again mean no malicious intent. I'm just trying to probe your points, and hopefully, make you think on perhaps what is the most important issue facing Christians and Jews today.

Okay, there is one last point I'd like to make, and that is the fact that I've answered a lot of the same questions from a previous Christian not long ago on this same site. This Christian was a good lady at heart, but she refused to respond to some of my arguments, and they deserve a discussion, or, at least, an appreciation! But I was offered nothing, and to this day, she has never contacted me back. If you're curious to see my arguments, which are posed as a google document on the debate, round 2, I refer you to the link below:

http://www.debate.org...

Again, I thank you for offering this debate, it is my hope that your eyes may be open to the real truth of G-d's word, a G-d who loves all humanity, no matter of faith, and one who is. . . just one.

Thank you, and Shalom (peace),

Judaism
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
TouchtheSky

Word of advice, next time, debate one person per time. I've seen you haven't gotten back to any of your opponents yet. Life gets in the way, as it often does with me, therefore, I've learned that it's best debating one at a time.

Just a helpful tip :)
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
@TouchtheSky,

Please, no offense, but just by looking at your channel, I see you're debating a million people at once. For the future, don't do it. It's just too much, I understand.

If I'm wrong, please, I meant no offense. I'm just observing.