MrControversy5656
Kvng_8

We are all selfish

Kvng_8

MrControversy5656

Pro

We are all selfish, Even when we are being "selfless". Because even when we are doing things that are selfless, We might not realize it but it gratifies us in some way or another. When a parent does something for their kids, It"s because the kid fulfills a sense of purpose for the parent. That is what the parent gets from the exchange. No matter what you do for others, There is something you are getting out of it whether it"s material or it"s fulfilling some emotional need.

So the question then, As I see it, Is this: is selfishness bad then? I can"t give you a straight yes or no on this but rather a nuanced view. There is good selfishness and there is bad selfishness. Bad selfishness is when it comes at the expense of others. And good selfishness is everything else.
Kvng_8

Con

Everyone's different.
You can't put everyone in the same box and you can't speak for everyone. There are people (such as myself) who would rather give than receive. Although it's nice to receive -- I, Nor some other people don't expect anything in return. I know many people like this. When I do something for my friends, I do it out of the kindness of my heart, Not to get something right back. I'm not the type to say "Well I did this for you so you need to do this. " It's good to give to others but you have to make sure you are good yourself. If you give too much into others and forget about yourself, That's not good. Because at the end of the day, You come first.

Selfless.
I take it that you think being selfless is wrong. It's good to give to others, And you deserve gratification from it. Gratification can simply be just feeling good afterwards. If one does a selfless act and feels gratification from it, How does that make them selfish? You did say "might not realize". This goes into the saying "What goes around comes around" When you do good to people, Good things happen to you. When you do bad things to people, Bad things happen to you.

Parent.
This doesn't even belong in this debate. It's a parent's job to take care of their children, They are supposed to be selfless. In my opinion, A child shouldn't even have to say thank you to the parent because that's the parent's job, It doesn't deserve a thank you. My parents once told me I don't have to thank them. Of course, This doesn't mean that the child should act like they are not thankful by disobeying the parent and things of that nature. By raising a child correctly and teaching them respect -- that's gratification enough to the parent. Back to the 'selfish' aspect, The parent shouldn't expect anything from the child as far as exchange. Would you mind elaborating what the exchange would be that the parent receives?

"No matter what you do for others, There is something you are getting out of it. "
Is that a bad thing? What if the person deserves it? For example, Jane does something good for Bill. Time passes. Bill decides to do something good for Jane back, Since she has done something good for him and she deserves it. Jane never asked Bill for anything though, Being the type of person Jane is -- she doesn't expect anything in return.

Selfish.
Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.
Yes selfishness is bad. There's no such thing is good selfishness. Explain what good selfishness is since you brought it up. What is "everything else"?
MrControversy5656

Pro

MrControversy5656 forfeited this round.
Kvng_8

Con

Pro forfeited R2.
MrControversy5656

Pro

MrControversy5656 forfeited this round.
Kvng_8

Con

Pro forfeited debate.
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
Even if you are doing something for someone else that doesn't benefit you, It's probably because it makes you feel good that you helped someone. By this logic, You are doing it for yourself. We are all selfish fuckks at the end of the day.
Posted by SDOT 3 years ago
SDOT
Agreed we are all selfish because the world requires us to be so. If you were out with your friend and a thug put a knife to your throat and tells both of you that only one of you can live, You obviously would choose yourself. The point i am trying to make here is that in a world such as our's more competitive than ever, People always want to be ahead of each other and if they were to all be selfless they would never be able to do so, It has come down to just getting ahead of everyone by hook or crook. We have selfless people in this world but how do you expect them to not become selfish as well because i'd bet you that they were nice to someone and the other person took advantage of that trait and stabbed them in the back. I really need you to understand that you don't have to be all Mother Teresa level of selfless neither am i telling you to be Erik Hagerman level of selfish, You have to find a balance between the two.
Vote Placed by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
MrControversy5656Kvng_8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro loses conduct for forfeit, he also failed to expand on his argument and I feel Cons argument is enough for tie in convincing. I get what Pro is saying, I've heard it said in other places, webcomics, comics, and mangas. But it still doesn't feel quite right to me. Cons argument (I think) didn't acknowledge Pros argument that the good feelings or 'what a person get's from good acts is held as higher 'value than material possessions to them, thus the selfish twisted wordplay Pro side of this type of debate tends to use. Sophistry. I 'do think Con makes a better conventional argument for how we use the word selfish. Eh, no more I have to say, can't seem to gather the words in my head.