Debaticus
inktv

Where are ads inappropriate?

Debaticus

Pro

My primary argument is this: Where should the line be drawn for marketing and ads? Con can choose any point on the spectrum, And the first round will be for positioning and acceptance.
I say that ads make sense on videogame sites, Reputable news sites, And sites you visit at 2am (you know the ones).
But in some places ads are ridiculous. Google searches and youtube videos for hospitals or first aid have had ads in front of them at some points in time, And that is completely inappropriate. There are also too many ads on debate. Org itself, Which is a serious website focusing on clashes of words and mind. Another major problem for ads is on a source citing site called easybib.

The nature of ads in inappropriate places is very aggressive, And they can block people from doing something time-constrained, They can even prevent someone from saving an injured person. Beyond that, They are very annoying when going on to sites where you DON'T expect to see ads.

So, I draw my line at Educational websites, Reputable news sites, Debate. Org, And anything involving learning or tutorials. Way beyond my line is videos on how to preform CPR and directions to nearby hospitals.

Take your pick, Con
inktv

Con

I shall hold an extremely opposite view to yours and go ahead to state that there shouldn"t be a line for private independent businesses.

The only place where ads don"t make sense are government websites powered by tax payer money. The presence of ad revenue is sometimes the only source of income for several websites like debate. Org, While ads may be annoying, One must understand the sole reason to why the website is available in the first place is due ads financing its servers and ad revenue motivating entrepreneurship in this area.

While the idea of having an ad before a video providing information on how to perform CPR must be very frustrating and in some situations, Could be the difference between life and death one must not forget that if ad revenue did not motivate or make possible for the medium or the content creator to attain the required to make the video then there wouldn't be a video in the first place and the person in question would have larger chance of dying without any information on aid at all than aid delayed by 5 seconds due to an ad.

At the end of the day ads benefit both the marketer and the person placing them, The end user always has the ability to opt for premium(paid) services or services that don"t show ads. Ads are at the center of the free model. Ad revenue is the reason why we can get so many important services (education, News, Debate org) for free in the first place.
Hence understanding the importance of ads I think there shouldn't"t be a line for services that need ad revenue to survive or ad revenue to grab entrepreneur interest. Users will naturally stop using sites that over use and bloat ads for others that don"t, But having access to information on how to perform CPR albeit 5 seconds delayed is better than having no access at all.
Debaticus

Pro

Debaticus forfeited this round.
inktv

Con

inktv forfeited this round.
Debaticus

Pro

"there shouldn't be a line for private independent businesses. "
Shouldn't be a line? If there wasn't a line, Advertising would be insanely aggressive. Ads for anything under the sun anywhere under the sun. Schools, Churches, Houses, People. To suggest that there should not be a line is preposterous. Any square inch will be exploited for marketing.

"The only place where ads don't make sense are government websites powered by tax payer money. "
I assume this is your true position on the argument, As it makes slightly more sense. But still, It is incorrect. If you scroll far enough down right now, You will find roughly 15 ads from news sites, Game downloads, Tabloids, And fad diet sites. The majority of these ads are clickbait. I find these specific ads inappropriate, As I don't give a damn what I'm supposed to do every day if my indoor cat throws up. I think the ads are inappropriate because they are insensitive. Your argument would make sense if all the ads are best tailored towards the sites that they are on, But they aren't. I am not actually saying ads should be banned on certain sites, I am saying the clickbait, Insensitive type of ads should be banned in favor of more appropriate ones, Or if that isn't possible, None at all.

You're point of ads being primary revenue is also bunk. Take Pandora. Businesses will pay Pandora to put ads in between songs, When there isn't an ad available, Pandora will advertise it's own service, A premium version that has amazing features, Replays, A new color scheme, And happens to have no ads. That premium is a subscription, So people pay out of their own pockets to provide Pandora with the money that supports the business. Pandora uses ads even though it knows they are annoying because it knows people will pay to shut it up.
It is similar to if a salesman annoyed you on the street until you gave them five bucks to go away, But then each month they came back and you had to give them another five bucks. You would never want to buy their product, As it doesn't fit your needs at all and doesn't know a thing about what you believe or what you want. That is why it is inappropriate. You may expect an ad, But I, A teenager actively enrolled in school with no career, Find less than five percent of the ads are persuasive or relatable to me. I don't want to go back to school for full time employees. I don't want a website for trading and purchasing auto parts. I only want to listen to good music for free.

Ads are inappropriate in general when it comes to medical emergencies, Like I pointed out last round. I saw a picture where someone googled where the nearest hospital was, And they got an ad related to their search before they got directions. That endangers lives right there. The five seconds waiting for a video to begin is another five seconds the person is not getting necessary help.

In conclusion, Ads are inappropriate in certain places that are more serious and non-ad funded.
inktv

Con

inktv forfeited this round.
Debaticus

Pro

Debaticus forfeited this round.
inktv

Con

inktv forfeited this round.
Posted by Debaticus 3 years ago
Debaticus
I had an argument, But I accidentally forfeited the round, So I just posted it in the next round
Posted by zapp 3 years ago
zapp
I would like to take up this debate. My view will be that any site which provides content for free or subsidises it can use ads to finance itself. Let us take debate. Org s an example. It is a wonderful platform that provides an important service (a platform for debate) for free. Yes, One can say that debate. Org should ask for donations, But ads are also a viable source for revenue. The platform need this revenue to keep itself running.