Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
billsands
UltimateGenius

Whether or not there is a god, Churches and community around them is a healthy thing for mankind

billsands

Pro

I am agnostic and not particularly religious, But I find the community provided by most church organizations is a healthy thing for families and communities, I am not talking about hatred or extremism i am talking about good works and charity, Churches such a positive role in society
UltimateGenius

Con

They make people religious and don't allow people to focus on actual science and halt the learning of mankind. We could be researching more into how to more efficiently help the community, But we are spending our time believing there is something out there that is going to do it for us. There might be something out there, But we know from experience that it is not doing anything that we notice, So we must take on matters ourselves.

Religion was at one point propelling the science of humanity, But now it is slowing us down. Therefore, We must care less about religion and focus more on actual science.

I am not saying that religions are bad, I am just saying they have outlived their usefullness.
billsands

Pro

I feel your claims about religion are true but only in a limited sense, Only extremist fundamentalist sects are holding back progress in science and creating ignorance and hate, Moderate religions, Have a positive effect on hilding a society together
UltimateGenius

Con

You are right most halting in science comes from extremists, But those extremists are plenty and influential. The extremists are given the utmost respect, Most of the time, From believers of the religion, Therefore when they say that we should not worry about science because god will help us, They halt science for them and most of everyone they talked to. Why do you think ISIS is not fully dead yet? That is because the extremists in the group are influencing so many people that they never die. As for the small churches that have no affect on others, They still only believe in god and sometimes disapprove of science. As a matter of fact, There are entire countries that ban things of science because it disagrees with the religion.

You can never get rid of extremists without getting rid of most of the religion.
billsands

Pro

Extremists are always given attention out of proportion because they are noisey and violent, They are a threat but rarely represent the majority, At least in the chritian and jewish community, I'm really not so sure about the muslsims, I don't trust them
UltimateGenius

Con

You are right, Jewish extremists mostly died out when Christianity came, And Christian extremists died in the medieval ages, When Islam came. However, When their extremists took over, All progression halted.

What still surprises me is that Muslim extremists have not targeted science, They actually predicted it. Their holy book, The Quran, Which was written at the year 650, Predicted all things about the universe that we now know are true. They predicted black holes, The end of the solar system, And so on. Christianity and Judaism both might have the same things, But I haven't learned about them, Yet.

If we are to talk about religion as of all time, Religion is harmful to mankind, But if we are to talk in the perspective of today, All religions contribute nothing to society science-wise and economic-wise. However, They do bring up happiness of some, Which in turn does improve our society.

By the way, We should abandon all religions that deal with the unknown and believe in science. It is the one thing that can actually tell us what is happening.

Also, You said churches as if you expected all religions to have churches, Jews have synagogues and Muslims have mosques and some don't even have a place of prayer.
Posted by UltimateGenius 3 years ago
UltimateGenius
It took me 3 seconds to determine you were a Christian before, Or had a Christian family when you were a child. That is because you never mentioned any place of prayer other than the church and you kept repeating the word church several times.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
we had the church which just meant all we had was each other- henry hill the departed