BethPembers
Linguistinator

Why hasn't free movement of labour been achieved between the US and Canada?

BethPembers has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

BethPembers

Pro

Like between Australia and New Zealand, for example. In fact, why haven't these countries, which are essentially in a similar league, entered into such a union?

Take working visas. You cannot apply for a work visa on your own without a job offer. You must first have a job offer from a U.S. employer who will sponsor you for a work visa.(1)

(1)http://us.iasservices.org.uk...

Also, Canadians are permitted to visit the United States for up to 6 months in a 12 month period. This is not based on a calendar year. If you stay for 6 months, you must depart the United State for 6 months before you are permitted to re-enter as a visitor.

Should these rules apply, of should these two nations adopt a more open borders policy?
Linguistinator

Con

I am having a bit of trouble deciphering the phrasing of my opponent. I assume that the pro is trying to ask the con, me, if the U.S. and Canada should have an open borders policy. If this is the topic of debate I will happily engage in a meaningful discourse with you.

If you choose to engage I propose some definitions and rules, to streamline this debate

Definitions
Open Borders Policy: Unlimited and free movement between nations concerning goods and services.

Rules
1. No Personal Attacks
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Because all the Canadians would leave Canada and come to USA, do you think they enjoy living in igloos 6 months of the year and get taxed at 50% of their income.