Purushadasa
verh0fstadt

Without God, There Could Be No Objective Morality

Purushadasa has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Purushadasa

Pro

Without God,
there could be no objective standard
by which to hold anyone accountable for anything;
therefore without God there could be no objective morality.
verh0fstadt

Con

This is wrong. Systems of punishment were well integrated into society and there was a sense of "justice" - infact, the Romans had the Corpus Juris, which lasted for hundreds of years and was an inspiration for all.

It is true that in the Bible, there are the Ten Commandments - which have worked to assist our foundation of law - but the truth is that most of these commandments, save for "do not worship false idols", and other insignificant and irrelevant commandments were not the prime mover or an initial source for the eventual development of the legal system across Christendom and the world. Even Constantine, who was the first Roman Christian, did not fully implement the commands of God - and we do not do it today, nor do Christians, because then they wouldn't eat shellfish, as is commanded in the New Testament.

There was objective morality developed by the Romans and the Greeks which eventually became more civilised and less backwards - but God didn't help this.
Purushadasa

Pro

Thank you all for so many kind and intelligent posts.

My engagement on this site was intended, from the beginning, to be a nothing more than a temporary experiment.

I didn't know specifically when it was going to end, until this evening: My girlfriend, Bhaktin Caroline, said something to me that inspired me to make tonight the end of the experiment.

Bhaktin Caroline matters much, much more than this website.

If you are still feeling overly attached after I leave, I apologize, but I will still be leaving nonetheless: I won't be engaging in any further debates, arguments, or conversations on this site, and nor will I be reading any further posts uploaded by its kind and intelligent members -- starting now.

You can argue amongst yourselves, from now on.

Good-bye! =)
verh0fstadt

Con

Gl hf, I suppose.
Posted by Purushadasa 3 years ago
Purushadasa
Without God, nobody could make an objective distinction between the real and the imaginary.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
Wouldn't having an imaginary friend at the age of 49 be considered insane?
Posted by Purushadasa 3 years ago
Purushadasa
Yup -- BMyers is definitely insane.
Posted by BMyers 3 years ago
BMyers
For knowing jokes from other religious cultures and time periods? Ya...insane alright.

Good luck with your debate
Posted by Purushadasa 3 years ago
Purushadasa
Okay, so... Bmyers is clearly insane.
Posted by BMyers 3 years ago
BMyers
(and it was meant to "call out Shiva from hiding" - old tale I was taught many years ago)
Posted by BMyers 3 years ago
BMyers
(If you are playing along) then my response is "hahaha"

Otherwise just chalk it up as myself enjoying perusing through debate.org and thinking (from your picture, username, and my personal misconceptions of other people) that you would at least enjoy somebody passing by with banter. Only smiles intended
Posted by Purushadasa 3 years ago
Purushadasa
BMyers, who are you talking to?
Posted by BMyers 3 years ago
BMyers
Come on now Krishna , who are you trying to fool? What we call "God" encompasses everything that is anything - before it can be spiraled into whatever playful distractions we ponder; without You there wouldn't be "ideals" at all
Posted by platoandaristotle 3 years ago
platoandaristotle
Nice to see you stop bothering me, even if your head is filled with insults you could give out.
BTW, I won my debate against you.