Niki2x
Perspectivist

Wolves are supposed to go extinct

Perspectivist has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Niki2x

Pro

I think that wolves going extinct is part of natural evolution and not our fault.
Perspectivist

Con

Wolves are threatened, But they are not going to be wiped off the earth any time soon. They are not yet extinct and the supposition that they are "supposed" to go extinct shows that there is a false sense of urgency and importance for there to be no wolves left on this planet. Your definition of natural evolution is misleading. Evolution is the change/adaptation of species to suit change in the natural environment making them more likely to survive, Not go extinct. The reason wolves are threatened is because they are not protected under the endangered species act. This is because if a wolf endangers farmers or their livestock they have every right to kill it. Due to this, The number of wolves being killed goes up and the wolf population decreases. If wolves do go extinct, Humans are to blame. I feel that when you say "natural evolution" you where trying to say that it (the extinction of wolves) is inevitable. This is neither provable nor is it probable.
In spite of this, Not all species of wolves are endangered, Only a few gray wolf species, The others are threatened but not likely to go extinct soon as there are approximately 150, 000 wolves in the world.
Niki2x

Pro

Let me try clarifying my point a little better. I think that wolves are going to go extinct due to natural selection in the same way Neanderthals have gone extinct. Neanderthals have evolved into a weaker but stronger race, Humans. Scientists say that Neanderthals and Humans lived at one point at the same time. Neanderthals soon went extinct as Humans, The evolved smarter race, Went on. I think of the wolves situation being similar to the Neanderthal situation as they will soon go extinct while dogs, The smarter evolved wolves, Will last. Basically, I am saying that I think it's the same scenario as Humans and Neanderthals but with Dogs and Wolves.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
Pro who gives a squirt what you personally believe.
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
A sound proposition.
Though the use of the word "supposed" suggests predetermination and not just natural selection.
Posted by AndrejG 3 years ago
AndrejG
A vague and ill-supported side for Pro. My two attempts at accepting have been lost to the void of the internet, But perhaps it's for the better. It would take little more than a google search to realize how poor the pro is for this argument. Not much use spending time on a debate from my eyes, At least in it's present state.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
You would have to explain your point of view more for me to accept. Do you mean even without humans they would have gone extinct as quickly as they would have with humans being around and eating up living space?
Or do you mean it is natural for humans to completely eradicate wolves, As humans are another animal?
Or C?
Posted by BertrandsTeapot 3 years ago
BertrandsTeapot
Literally everything ever going extinct is part of natural evolution over a long enough time horizon.