Michlellon
WrickItRalph

Women play on easy mode

Michlellon

Pro

The recent social justice fiasco in the United States has shown us both the logical and illogical sides of both arguments when it comes to equality. However, I believe this has clouded what we as humans are capable of respectively.

To me, It seems like this topic of discussion ignites too much emotion, Clouding the views of many. It is my opinion that, Regardless of what you might hear, That men and women are not, In fact, Equal.

Let me start of by saying that I believe both gender roles are required to maintain a sound family and community, But this does not mean that each of these roles are equal to one another.

Men are expected to fulfill as many roles as possible to take care of their family. Meanwhile, A women is expected to do nothing more than look for the kids and take care of the house. And this is only after marriage takes place. The entire idea of finding a partner has been designed through evolution so that men must go out of their way to be the best version of themselves as possible, While women must only look pretty and wait for the men to come flocking.

I am not trying to be rude or insensitive, However I would like to see what someone else has to say about this.
WrickItRalph

Con

I'll start off by saying that I have no intention of becoming emotional during this argument. I want to look at this objectively and I believe that emotional appeals should never be applied to anything that has not first been filtered through objectivity.

The first thing I would like to do is figure out what you mean by equal. If you mean that we're different physically, Then I agree with you. To deny that would be illogical since it is a demonstrable fact. If you're saying that we should have different treatment based solely on our gender, Then I must disagree. I believe that all gender roles are social constructs. Let me be clear what I mean by gender roles: Women have to wear dresses, Men must have short hair, Women must stay at home and raise kids, Men must go seek work and support. These things are not inherent. They are traditions of society. We have grown as a species and we must leave these sort of simplistic ideas behind us. The only different treatment that a person should have is based solely on their individual physical limitations. So maternity leave makes sense because men don't have babies or breast feed them. This is not inequality. Equality is fair individual treatment. That means I give any individual the same treatment that I would give any other individual with the same attributes and limitations.

I completely reject that idea that women don't have to do as much work as men. I could make an appeal to my time as a stay at home dad to exemplify this, But I think that would be a lazy argument. Instead, I will just explain the logistics. A women who assumes the role of stay at home parent has to: do the dishes, Do the laundry, Sweep the floor, Tidy the house, Feed the kids, Dress the kids, Take the kids to school, Take the kids to doctor appointments, Change diapers, And while all this is going on they have to make sure the kids don't do something dangerous and give them love and attention throughout the whole day. This means even after the bread winner gets off of work, The home maker is still working their shift. Because kids don't know what down time is. It's easy to just exclaim that women ONLY have to sit and home and have kids, But when you actually specify everything that entails, It becomes clear that women doing a lot more than you would like to admit.

As for your comment about evolution, I will say that I'm not convinced that evolution is the sole factor in the form of our gender roles. Even if evolution was, In fact, The sole cause of gender roles I would say that we shouldn't just do something simply because of evolution. Natural Selection rewards the behaviors that keep the species going. These behaviors are not permanent nor are they absolute. Inferior behaviors slowly fade from evolution in light of more productive ones. That means our old view of gender roles will fade as well.

Honestly, I think your argument falls on it's on merits. It's very structure is built on a foundation of prejudice. I'm not saying you're a bigot or anything. I'm just saying that if you say men and women get different treatment before you even add a person in, Then the system itself will be prejudice.
Michlellon

Pro

Michlellon forfeited this round.
WrickItRalph

Con

I guess you couldn't take the heat, Lol.
Michlellon

Pro

Michlellon forfeited this round.
Michlellon

Pro

Michlellon forfeited this round.
Michlellon

Pro

Michlellon forfeited this round.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
Well, If we're talking about individual equality, Then abortion would be equal, Since on an individual basis there is literally nothing that a man can abort. You could say that man should have a say in the abortion process because it's their child, But I think this fails when you add autonomy into the mix.
Posted by Country-of-dummies 3 years ago
Country-of-dummies
uh, I am not sure that I agree that women are not equal. I actually think they are treated as equal. Actually, They might have more rights than men in some cases, Such as abortion. Plainly, A woman has the right to kill a baby, But a man doesn't. Seems like women might be more than equal. . .