floofyboii
SMendel

Women's Rights/Suffrage/Movements

SMendel has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

floofyboii

Pro

I am doing a explanatory essay on women's movements.
I am 100% for women's movements like voting, jobs in the workplace, abolition, etc, however, because I am doing an explanatory essay, It would be interesting to hear the other side.
I understand that this is a very hard topic to have cons about, but it would interesting on what would be brought up.

I only have:
-the womens rights should have been more including with other races (BESIDES white and blacks) but the vast majority of womans movements were middle-class white woman. I can see why this is a weak point though, because there were generally white and blacks living in America...and the Native Americans were somewhere on reservations

-there were more important social issues than fighting for womens rights
SMendel

Con

Hi there! I'm a feminist who believes that women should have equal opportunities to men, but I would definitely agree that 'there were more important social issues than fighting for womens rights', if you're interested in having a debate along those lines.

I would say that if you took the average wealthy white female in the States and the average black male living beneath the poverty line, in that scenario the woman has a significantly longer life expectancy, more power, and faces less prejudice.

I believe that class and race are better indicators of inequality than gender. If you disagree, you would have to argue that there is a bigger gap in rights between Bill Clinton and Hillary than there is between Hillary Clinton and an impoverished black man. There is no doubt in my mind that we must continue to fight for women's rights, yet the gaps between rich and poor, and the link between race and class, are larger than the gap between the sexes.

I look forward to an interesting debate!
floofyboii

Pro

I do like the con you provided about white woman and slaves in the states.

Although, my timeline was mainly set to the early 1800s though around 1900, 1910.

Your thoughts have helped me a lot thank you.
Posted by Zombieguy835 3 years ago
Zombieguy835
Asta, if this included abortion, we'd be here for a LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG time
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Does this include abortion?