Geo-Mutualist
YeetMasterr

Worker owned businesses are just as good as (possibly better than) top-down hierarchical businesses

Started: 12/3/2018 Category: Economics

Geo-Mutualist

Pro

Definitions:

Worker-owned business - a business that is controlled and owned by all of the members of that business who work there. Structure may be horizontal democracy, Or bottom-up hierarchy where the worker-owners elect higher-ups such as the president or board of directors of the company.

Top-down hierarchical business: a business that is controlled and owned by those at the top of the business, I. E president, Board of directors, Investors, Rather than those at the bottom such as employees or managers. The higher-ups are not elected by the employees, But by shareholders

Rules:
1) Opponent agrees to the above definitions.
2) Opponent will only use first round for acceptance, In order to allow both of us an equal amount of rounds to debate.
3) Burden of proof lies with me(pro), Thus I will start off with whatever evidence I know of in round 2, Which my opponent will be expected to counter. Victory for pro means that I would have successfully demonstrated that worker-owned businesses are as good as other types of businesses, In a number of areas, Such as performance, Average wages, Productivity, Morally, Or any means necessary that voters determine sufficed.
4) Google docs and linking to outside locations for your arguments are fine. Try to keep close to 10, 000 characters, But I do not strictly follow the 10, 000 character limit. Don't go too over it, If you're over by more than 100 characters, That will probably be a probem, But being over by 20-30 I do not have a problem with.
5) NO Ad hominem attacks. Be civil

Let's begin. Remember to use round 1 for acceptance only.
YeetMasterr

Con

Remember to subscribe to mlg dale4455
https://www. Youtube. Com/channel/UCpX57z1j4wxvqor1A629Ctw? View_as=subscriber%3Fsub_confirmation%3D1
Geo-Mutualist

Pro

Geo-Mutualist forfeited this round.
YeetMasterr

Con

YeetMasterr forfeited this round.
Geo-Mutualist

Pro

Geo-Mutualist forfeited this round.
YeetMasterr

Con

YeetMasterr forfeited this round.
Geo-Mutualist

Pro

Geo-Mutualist forfeited this round.
YeetMasterr

Con

YeetMasterr forfeited this round.
Posted by Geo-Mutualist 3 years ago
Geo-Mutualist
Ok. . . It seems ddo fucked up. I posted my argument, But it's not showing, And the timer reset. I'm going to re-write my argument before this new timer is up, But I don't want to re-write everything right now, As that would take a while and I'm a little upset over that I just wasted an hour on this for nothing.

I'm going to write this up in a word processor and save it on my computer this time, And I'll have it ready probably in a day or two.

Sorry for the inconvenience yeetmasterr.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
we need more of them, True socialism would be voluntary and stateless where workers just ran most if not all the businesses, I doubt that would ever happen but the state has to stay out of the economy, Regulations taxation, And a social safety net? Fair enough but lets face it market forces must nver be ignored for a society to thrive
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Geo-Mutualist

What is the aim of a worker owned business?

I am assuming more power to the workers and have more of a say in who they elect. To me they have to actually know who is best suited as the leader. Even if a leader was good when you picked him doesn't mean he will be good for the duration of him/her being in charge. Power corrupts. More power someone has the more they would use it to their advantage instead of sticking their morals and what they promised when being in charge. This can be seen in presidential elections or in a small scale like if you found money on the street would you take it or give it back to the person who dropped it?
Posted by Geo-Mutualist 3 years ago
Geo-Mutualist
@ omar2345
Saying you see no difference between when the workers elect the higher-ups and when they don't is like saying you don't see a difference between a democratic republic where the voters elect higher-ups and a hereditary dictatorship where the voters don't.

How don't you see the difference?
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Geo-Mutualist

Cannot debate you since I am already in a debate with you.

"bottom-up hierarchy where the worker-owners elect higher-ups such as the president or board of directors of the company. "

"business that is controlled and owned by those at the top of the business"

Worker-owners elect higher-ups is similar to a business that is already owned from the top. The difference is that the workers choose. The problem you would have would this would be are all the workers qualified in knowing who is the best to represent them? They are both not equal. Meaning one person is still in charge and worker-owners is just one more step in just a normal business. The workers can choose who is in charge which I don't see how that improves the situation. By the way worker-owned businesses is still a hierarchy so they are not so different.

Don't have to answer it.