Alex.oland
Snort

You can either believe in a god or not, there is no in between

Snort has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Alex.oland

Pro

The title explains it. You either believe in god or not. There can be no in between. If someone can not say "yes" to the question: "Can you say that you believe in god?" then they are an atheist.

Before someone brings up agnosticism, agnosticism is not about belief but about knowledge. You can not be a plain "agnostic" you can only be an "agnostic atheist" or an "agnostic theist". An agnostic atheist would say: "I do not believe in god but there is no way to be sure." and an agnostic theist would say: "I believe in god but I can not prove that he exists."

Let me present it in a more metaphorical way; There is a button in front of you. You either press or not press it. There is no in between. Those who say: "Pressing the button is irrelevant. Pressing it or not pressing it does not change anything." are not in between because they too did or did not press the button.
Snort

Con

I will be arguing that a person can both believe in religion and not believe in religion. There are three reasons for this. The first is that people are not absolute. Indecision is a common thing that many people face throughout their daily lives. Someone can be undecided about whether or not they believe in God. Unlike pressing a button, where once you have pressed the button, the button will always be pressed, people opinions and beliefs are fluid. The second reason that people do not necessarily care. One can be apathetic and simply hold the opinion that it doesn't matter and thus not worth having an opinion on. Finally, I challenge your conception of agnosticism. The definition of agnosticism is, "a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God." So yes there may be agnostic theists but, agnostics by definition do not believe or disbelieve in God. For these reasons I feel one can be in between on whether or not God exists. I strongly urge a con ballot and am looking forward to the debate.
Alex.oland

Pro

That is what I am saying. You can not be "undecided" because there are not 2 sides which you have to pick from here. There is a single side, which is choosing god and you can choose this side or not. If you do not choose this side you are, by definition, an atheist. Atheism is actually a word for not doing something and only exists because religion is popular among people.

As I said, there is only one side. And if you can not say that you belong on that side with certainty, you are not a theist. I know you will object to the word "certainty" here so let me explain that. Someone who believes in a god may not be able to prove his existence and may doubt his existence. But this does not change the fact that the person actively and certainly believes in a god.

Apatheists, the people who do not care about god are by definition atheists. The question is simple: "Can you say: I believe in a god?". I think we can agree that only people who can say that phrase are theists. Can these so called apatheists say that they believe in a god? If not they are atheists.

"What about people who have never heard about god?" you might ask. Those people too are by definition atheists. They have never heard of a god therefore they lack belief in one.

"a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God." I claim that this description is flawed. Agnostic means the opposite of gnostic. And gnostic originated from the word gnosis which means: "knowledge of spiritual mysteries." in greek. Notice that this has nothing to do with belief. "knowledge" and "belief" are two different things. "An agnostic is either an atheist or a theist." is not a wrong statement. But it is very similar to saying something like this: "Gardeners are either atheists or theists." it seems like random information when inspected more carefully.

I would like to change my button metaphor to a switch to be more precise. It is off by default and you can turn it on. You can say that you do not care about the switch but that does not change the fact that you either flipped the switch or not. You can say that you never went to the room with the switch, which would suggest that your switch is still turned off. You can not claim however that your switch is neither on or off. It must be one of the two.

I repeat, there are not 2 different sides like Atheism vs Theism. There is only one side, and the ones who do not pick that side become atheists. You can not be in between of picking a side and not picking a side. They are literally opposites.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
"Most agnostics are atheists who don't want to take a side because of all the tension on this topic, so give them a break"....Well they have all the brakes they can imagine.... And then they die..End of imagination.. And thats ok..
Posted by Considerthefollowing 3 years ago
Considerthefollowing
Pro is right, but if you don't know about god, you don't have have an opinion, and that is correct.
But is you don't know about god, then you don't believe, so pro is also right. So you could say agnostic about this. But god isn't real anyways. No point in this argument. Most agnostics are atheists who don't want to take a side because of all the tension on this topic, so give them a break. Im an atheist, and proud.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
Of course there is no in between.. You can believe you will grow wings... Or become dust.
Posted by factandevidence1234 3 years ago
factandevidence1234
"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder." How do you know if demons believe that if demons aren't real?
Posted by Kram_Redarsh 3 years ago
Kram_Redarsh
No.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 3 years ago
FollowerofChrist1955
James 2:19
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.