BertrandsTeapot
Anonymous

You cannot be sure that anything exists outside of your own consciousness

Anonymous has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

BertrandsTeapot

Pro

Very interesting topic...curious to hear your thoughts.

Con

I accept. Can you clarify exactly what we are debating? I think I understand the general concept but can you go into the specifics?
BertrandsTeapot

Pro

Awesome! I will try to describe a bit better.

I am pulling from the notion of Epistemological Solipsism, which is is the variety of idealism according to which only the directly accessible mental contents of the solipsistic philosopher can be known. The existence of an external world is regarded as an unresolvable question rather than actually false. Further, one cannot also be certain as to what extent the external world exists independently of one's mind. For instance, it may be that a God-like being controls the sensations received by one's brain, making it appear as if there is an external world when most of it (excluding the God-like being and oneself) is false. However, the point remains that epistemological solipsists consider this an "unresolvable" question. (Philosophical Dictionary: Solipsism)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.