debates_are_life
debates_are_life_2

Zoos- Joys or Jails?

debates_are_life has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

debates_are_life

Pro

I will allow my opponent to go first.
debates_are_life_2

Con

I think zoos are a bad idea. In my research, I learned the European zoos kill about 3,000 HEALTHY animals a year. They could have lived for longer, but the zoo killed them because of overpopulation IN THE ZOO!!! Zoos can also contribute to the endangerment of a species. If a zoo releases animals back into the wild from years of captivity, they will not know how to defend themselves and be independent because when they were in the zoo, they were spoon fed and spoiled. They depended on the humans but in the wild, there are no humans available for them to help. The animals are also at a greater risk of dying prematurely in a zoo than in the wild. Female Asian Elephants live 17 years IN THE ZOO when they usually live about 56 years IN THE WILD. That means Asian Elephants can live 39 more years in the wild than in a zoo.
debates_are_life

Pro

Zoos are meant to be around for people to learn! Hello! EDUCATION exists! I know zoos are looked down upon, but can be beneficial to children of all ages. Sure you brought up UK zoos, but what about zoos in the US? Those are pretty good. Some zoos train their animals for the wild, in case of needing to be released back. More animals die in the wild after birth due to the fact that there are predators around. However, zoos can help raise babies to prevent deaths and also help animal extinction.
debates_are_life_2

Con

Zoos may think that their programs are educational, but the information they give is so simple.They don't expand and give us more detail about whatever they are talking about. Zoos also use the animals and the programs to make money. I went to a program at the zoo once where they taught us about birds. While they were showcasing the birds, the other birds had to be kept in cages. At the end, we could pay a dollar to feed the bird and watch it eat.