Anonymous
asta

are there contradictions in the Bible?

Anonymous has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Con

Hello sir, I saw that you posted a comment on one of my friends debates saying there are biblical contradictions. I strongly believe there aren't and I would like to here some of the contradictions you think are in the Bible. For the first round, please list no more than 5.
asta

Pro

There is a spreadsheet I made with about or exactly 100 contradictions in it. This is a sample with 5 pairs of contradictory verses. If you believe that these are not contradictions, then state which bible verse overrides and why the other one is illegitimate. I wish my opponent good luck.

Contradiction 1:

To whom did the Midianites sell Joseph?

To the Ishmaelites (Genesis 37:28)
To Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh (Genesis 37:36)

Contradiction 2:

Does God change his mind?

Yes. The word of the Lord came to Samuel: I repent that I have made Saul King... (I Samuel 15:10 to 11)
No. God will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent (I Samuel 15:29)

Contradiction 3:

Who killed Goliath?

David (I Samuel 17:23, 50)
Elhanan (2 Samuel 21:19)

Contradiction 4:

Who killed Saul?

Saul took his own sword and fell upon it.... Thus Saul died... (I Samuel 31:4-6)
An Amalekite slew him (2 Samuel 1:1- 16)

Contradiction 5:

Would Jesus inherit Davids throne?

Yes. So said the angel (Luke 1:32)
No, since he is a descendant of Jehoiakim (see Matthew 1: I 1, I Chronicles 3:16). And Jehoiakim was cursed by God so that none of his descendants can sit upon Davids throne (Jeremiah 36:30)

(Assuming these are legitimate contradictions) even though they are nominal and trivial for morality, they seem to be imperfect for a god that claims to be infalliable. I mean his prophets aren't infalliable, but wouldn't God monitor their writing so the bible says what God wants it to say? People may say free will however given that the prophets wanted to know God's true word, why wouldn't God give it to them? After all, if God can harden a Pharoah's heart to the extent of him doing things without the Pharoah's initial consent, then surely God would also do the same thing to prophets who did consent.
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Yes, mosc should be blocked.
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Abraham once said: "Will the Judge of the entire earth not perform justice?"

Could G-d dare punish Pharaoh when his heart was hardened like stone, meaning, against his will, and thus acting like he was programed?

No. But G-d literally did hardened his heart so that he had the will to choose. The Ramban explains it better than I could. He says that had G-d not done so, Pharaoh, seeing 9 warning plagues happening within the span of a month, would have let the Jews go with a snap, then again, he'd never had done it had it not been for His mighty hand in the first place! For example, let's say you were mugged and had to give up your wallet, it's the same thing here. Any ruler wouldn't let his country be destroyed the way G-d did to Pharaoh's, hence, it's why He stole his resolve, which made the plagues not interfere with his decision-making process to either or (free or not free the Jews). When G-d saw his free choice chose the Jews as slaves, after the 9 plagues, He then sent His wrath: the tenth and last plague, and freed His own people.

Now just think of it, had G-d took over Pharaoh"s heart, psyche, and cognitive abilities, and purposefully made him think evil, that wouldn't be fair, would it? Why could He not as much make him do good? Right? No, G-d never uses miracles to cloud our judgement, we are always in complete control of our decisions.

P.S., by the way, mosc gives us Jews a bad name.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
He's a troll. Should he get blocked?
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Thanks! I've dealt with mosc before in a debate, he's not a true Jew. That may sound a little odd at first, but let me explain.

All Orthodox Jews believe in the teachings of the Rambam, Kabbalah, that Rabbi Akiva wasn't perfect (he made mistakes), that Gentiles have a place in the World to Come if they led good lives, and that there is only one G-d.

If mosc is really Jewish (I mean halachically, meaning, both ethnicity and spiritual), then he should believe in all these fine points, but he doesn't. And on top of it all, he's mean. He once remarked on the size of my penis (don't know why), and called my Christian friend an "illiterate whore." Sounds like a caring guy, does he?
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
P.S. Your nicer then Mosc. He claims to know the Torah while his profile name sounds like Mosque.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
How could G-d be hardening Pharaoh's heart and give him free will at the same time?
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Also, via oral tradition, we Jews believe that when G-d hardened Pharaoh's heart, He was giving him free will. This is not to say he didn't have it before though.
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Asta, good questions! Have you seen Rashi? He was a great commentator who often took the time to answer contradictions in Judaism. Here's a link to his work (and the most authoritative Bible by the way):

https://www.chabad.org...

Let me know if it helps (:
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Your welcome.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Thanks man.