johnsonstephene
Smug_Tomato

chores and child abuse

johnsonstephene

Con

Too many chores are child abuse and parents should be punished for it. I understand that some chores are needed to teach certain skills and build discipline. When I was 16 I was a straight A student and finished freshman year with a 4. 0 GPA and I worked 24-30 hours a week, And stayed after school for JROTC team practice. I continued to do the same thing all the way through sophomore year. My only issue during this period of my life was the amount of extra things I had to do. For example one day I came home from a rough shift at work at 8 pm and still had to put away dinner and do the dishes but also as soon as I walked through the living room to go to my room my step mom told me I have to shampoo the carpets. I do not understand why she couldn't do it because she has no job and her daughter sleeps most of the day but yet she wanted me to shampoo the carpets at 9 pm after I came home from work and cleaned her mess in the kitchen. Things like this happened quite often, I also had a chore list with difficult chores. My chore list looked like this Sunday- go to work 8am-4pm, Then cut the grass, Wash 3 dogs, Scrub the bath tub and hand scrub the bathroom floors, Pull everything off the kitchen counters and wipe them and sweep and hand scrub the kitchen floors, Dinner dishes. Monday- sweep and mop the kitchen and bathroom floors, Wipe the kitchen counters, Wipe the rest of the bathroom down, Go to work 4pm-8pm, Put dinner away and dinner dishes. Tuesday- stay after school for JROTC team practice until 4;30pm, And babysit my 3 sisters while doing chores sweep and mop the kitchen and bathroom floors, Wipe the kitchen counters, Wipe the rest of the bathroom down, Put dinner away and dinner dishes. Wednesday- stay after school for JROTC team practice until 4;30pm, And babysit my 3 sisters while doing chores. Sweep and mop the kitchen and bathroom floors, Wipe the kitchen counters, Wipe the rest of the bathroom down, Put dinner away and dinner dishes. Thursday- sweep and mop the kitchen and bathroom floors, Wipe the kitchen counters, Wipe the rest of the bathroom down, Go to work 4pm-8pm, Put dinner away and dinner dishes. Friday- sweep and mop the kitchen and bathroom floors, Wipe the kitchen counters, Wipe the rest of the bathroom down, Go to work 4pm-8pm, Put dinner away and dinner dishes. Saturday- work from 8am-4pm, Sweep and mop the kitchen and bathroom floors, Wipe the kitchen counters, Wipe the rest of the bathroom down, Put dinner away and dinner dishes, Shampoo the carpets, Wipe the walls and clean the dog cages. This was my schedule and they constantly added things to it and it got to the point to where I was too tired to keep up with it all and I had a mental break down. I never had time to my self and was never allowed to do anything, It was so bad they had cameras in the house that they could sit in their room or at work and talk from to make sure we were doing exactly what they want. If we did not do our chores the way they wanted even if it was clean we would be forced to re-do them and we had our cell phones and stuff taken away too and sometimes beaten. I have done some googling but I do not see anything that says this kind of stuff is illegal and it needs to be changed, Children and teenagers are not slaves and should be able to enjoy life at that age. Also when ai was working I was paying for the groceries too.
Smug_Tomato

Pro

This seems like an awfully personal issue for you. I'm not going to debate your story, All I can really tell you is that you should handle that with your family. Whether that means reaching an understanding and coming to some kind of agreement or moving out and finding people that will treat you better, I don't know.

You're clearly against extra chores, And I have to disagree with you. While chores seem like a burden for children, They help to instill discipline, And teach children to be accountable. Plus, They allow the child to be productive in the household. In your case, Like I said, That's an issue with your household specifically. I think it is safe to assume that most children are not working the hours that you are. They likely only go to school and participate in some extracurricular and that's it. They aren't providing any money for the family, So they should be required to at least keep up the house (once they reach a certain age, Obviously), Since their parents are providing them with mostly everything else.
johnsonstephene

Con

If you read what I said you wouldn't even have answered. I said that I understand the sole purpose of chores for kids. I'm not against chores but I am against bad parenting and I want to defend everyone out there in a situation like mine.
Smug_Tomato

Pro

I did read what you said, But I answered the prompt. We're debating whether or not extra chores should be considered child abuse. If you wanted to debate bad parenting, You should have related the title of the debate to bad parenting, Not chores.

Chores are only a small part of the bigger issue here.
johnsonstephene

Con

It says "Chores and Child Abuse" because they are all apart of the same issue and I'm trying to prove that chores can be used as a form of child abuse which is bad parenting so if you had any common sense you would know that they are going to be debated as one topic or combined. I mean seriously how do you see "child abuse" in the heading and not connect it with bad parenting.
Smug_Tomato

Pro

"It says "Chores and Child Abuse""
Yes, Meaning that we are arguing whether or not chores should be considered child abuse.

"because they are all apart of the same issue and I'm trying to prove that chores can be used as a form of child abuse which is bad parenting"
But we're not debating whether bad parenting is child abuse or not. Bad parenting has nothing to do with this. If you wanted to argue about bad parenting you should have made the title related to bad parenting, Not chores.

"if you had any common sense"
Rude. . .

"you would know that they are going to be debated as one topic or combined"
But the problem is that we aren't just debating child abuse. We're debating whether or not chores (or extra chores, Really) should be considered child abuse. You're not debating the topic at hand. Again, If you wanted to strictly debate bad parenting, You should have titled the debate as such. By making the title "chores and child abuse" you're saying that you want to argue whether or not giving your child chores should be considered child abuse.

"I mean seriously how do you see "child abuse" in the heading and not connect it with bad parenting. "
When you put "chore" before it, It implies that you want to argue whether or not chores should be considered child abuse.

You need to be more specific in your titles to avoid confusion like this. What you're currently trying to argue has nothing to do with the prompt. The debate is about whether or not chores should be considered child abuse. Not whether bad parenting is child abuse. But from reading your opening statement, I get the feeling that you simply wanted to vent about the issues you were having at home. I'm sorry that you're going through that, And I hope that you can find a way to resolve your problems, But if that was your goal, This may not be the best place to do it.
johnsonstephene

Con

The whole debate goes hand in hand whether I titled it bad parenting or not bc I also titled it CHILD ABUSE so if child abuse isn't included in bad parenting then wtf is it.
Smug_Tomato

Pro

It doesn't because we're debating whether or not chores should be considered child abuse. I answered the original prompt and you responded by saying "I'm not against chores but I am against bad parenting and I want to defend everyone out there in a situation like mine. " If your argument was about bad parenting then why did you not specify that in the title? By specifying chores, You are implying that giving children excessive chores (you only mentioned chores, But I'll assume you meant excessive chores) is child abuse.

You've completely misunderstood your own prompt.
johnsonstephene

Con

Ok for those of you in the comments, I didn't post everything about my childhood in the argument. You guys have taken this a whole new direction.
Smug_Tomato

Pro

"Ok for those of you in the comments, I didn't post everything about my childhood in the argument. You guys have taken this a whole new direction. "

Ironic, Considering you took a debate that you yourself created in a whole different direction. No matter. Closing statements!

Excessive chores should not be considered child abuse as they instill discipline, Teach children to be accountable and allow them to be a productive part of the household without having to get a job. It may feel like a burden, But they exist to help a child, Not harm them.

For these reasons vote pro.
Posted by politicsfortherun 3 years ago
politicsfortherun
I don"t believe it"s child abuse, But I come from a similar situation and I definitely think it"s bad parenting
Posted by Mr_Popper 3 years ago
Mr_Popper
I don't think being raped is a chore.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
Try working on a farm sometime. I think your perspective would change. And backwardseden is right. Many people have it much worse. Work ethics are important. Moreover, Some people don't even have parents, Or a house to keep clean. Be appreciative.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
You want to hear child abuse kiddies? Wow. Con you had it easy Trust me. I once had a truly great friend who was raped, Beaten and tortured by her stepfather at the age of 4 all the way up until 17 sometimes twice per week until she ran away from home. That was only the start of her horrors. You want me to tell you the rest?

The absolute worst is I have a lifelong friend who was once a security guard who would watch over patients at a psych ward. There was a little girl age 6 who had it so bad that her father raped her that her vagina turned into her a$$. You cannot even contemplate that. I can't. Neither can anyone else.

And people actually think for a second that there's a god according to the bible? Yeah if he's based on hating children just as the bible specifically states.
Posted by EStone523 3 years ago
EStone523
I"m with pro on this one-the debate is about if excessive chores should be considered child abuse and pro gave their argument and included their reasons why. Con is rude and not putting up as well of an argument (and con"s argument isn"t consistent with title)