20cwells
sansskelepun

does god exist?

sansskelepun has forfeited round #3.

20cwells

Con

Right now I have no reason to believe god exists.
sansskelepun

Pro

I on the other hand very strongly believe that god exists, I see no reason not to. If you think about it what is the probability that a planet would just happen to be far enough from the sun to have the perfect temperature as well as a good enough atmosphere. Honestly the probability is so low it's almost impossible.
20cwells

Con

I think that you may be experiencing confirmation bias. If this planet couldn't harbor life, then we would be on another planet. Another important fact is that NASA has found over 3,000 exoplanets (similar planets to earth).
https://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu...
sansskelepun

Pro

Ok but at the same time do you really believe that we evolved from monkeys? I mean I'm a guy of science but that's just ridiculous. Not to mention it goes against natural selection, if we evolved from monkeys then they would either be extinct, or there would be very few. So given that we had to be put here somehow, and evolution isn't it.
20cwells

Con

I have my problems with evolution but I need to set you straight on something. The theory goes that we evolved from a common ancestor from apes, not from them.
http://humanorigins.si.edu...
Posted by missmedic 9 months ago
missmedic
All claims of gods are made by men, subject to belief and belief is not a choice.
Posted by godlesspastor 9 months ago
godlesspastor
1. Which god?
2. Let's take Christianity for example. According to Christianity, there is 1 god. It is a LOT more likely that no gods exist than that the Christian god exists out of all the thousands of religions. See Occam's Razor.
Posted by Passenger 9 months ago
Passenger
Religion has been presented to me with fairytale style books, hoping to capture attention with shocking declarations of history. If you have poor daily conduct, read it. If you need friends, read it and go to your temple. If you can't think for yourself, this is for you. Find one you like and cherrypick what suits the situation. It's a business that has survived the test of time. It sheds all doubt and shame through perfect quotes intepreted to serve the weak, marginalised, ugly and shamed. Some find it has a purpose, others don't, and more really want to confirm it's genuine through science and tangible proof. Faith or gullable? Power of suggestion is powerfull. We are now finding the representatives of relgious institutions have used "the word" to complete the worst of crimes and cause huge damage to others.
Posted by pi3.14 9 months ago
pi3.14
"Ok but at the same time do you really believe we evolved form monkeys?" I do believe in God, but this "fact" that we evoled FROM monkeys is untrue. We actually evolved from their descendants and split off before they got to where they are now. We evolved alongside them. Saying that we evolved from monkeys is like saying that Europeans evolved from Africcans (no, I don't intend racism, I am trying to prove my point). Maybe go the thermodynamics path... Something (the universe) cannot be created out of nothing (unless there is a God), and if they say that the universe has ALWAYS had something, then you can say that the Earth would have stopped by now, or the Sun would have burnt out or something.
Posted by emotionaltuna 9 months ago
emotionaltuna
No scientist would ever argue about the second law of thermodynamics which macro-evolution goes against, just saying.
Posted by Pill_Junkie_Monkey 9 months ago
Pill_Junkie_Monkey
"I on the other hand very strongly believe that god exists, I see no reason not to. If you think about it what is the probability that a planet would just happen to be far enough from the sun to have the perfect temperature as well as a good enough atmosphere. Honestly the probability is so low it's almost impossible." - Watch this...

"Ok but at the same time do you really believe that we evolved from monkeys? I mean I'm a guy of science but that's just ridiculous. Not to mention it goes against natural selection, if we evolved from monkeys then they would either be extinct, or there would be very few. So given that we had to be put here somehow, and evolution isn't it." - You here indirectly committed a black-white fallacy/false dichotomy fallacy. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
the same probability that live would evolve on such planet.. wow the backwards fuuck