Economics Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Regulated Capitalism is better than Laissez-faire Capitalism

bluseto
Adam_Godzilla

The point is to argue if government intervention in a capitalist economy is better or not than a form of capitalism with no regulation (laissez-faire), As the classical liberals defend. Rules: Both Con and Pro should give historical examples to defend each position. 3 rounds & feel free to write in the comments section. I let the Con to start his arguments. I ask for someone that really knows about the topic so please, Only join if you have strong arguments....

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Replace all forms of Taxation with a single Consumption Tax

Classicliberal94
Thoht

I will begin by stating that I am more than willing to change my mind on any topic, So long as there is substantial evidence that my opinion is flawed. With that being said, I wish my fellow debater the best of luck- see you in the next round. First off, For those of you that might see this debate and are not fully aware what exactly the Consumption Tax or (Fair Tax) plan is- let me explain. Currently in the United States we have many forms of taxation, For example; Income Tax, Payroll Tax,...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago

U. S. Mint should stop producing pennies

Flywingcpy
Swetepete540

Pennies doesn't function as money since moneys are suppose to speed up day to day transactions. Instead speeding up exchanges, Due to the worthlessness of pennies, People either don't use them at all or waste everyone's time fiddling with pennies. Also, The production of penny cost our government money. It cost us 1. 82 cents to make a penny, According to usmint. Gov "The unit cost for both pennies (1. 82 cents) and nickels (6. 60 cents) remained above face value for the twelfth consecutive ye...

Debating Period
11 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

Should we ban all non electric cars in the year 2020

Alexander25
FanboyMctroll

An analysis released by the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) in January called for "more stretching targets" to encourage uptake of electric vehicles, And recommended around 60 per cent of car and van sales should be electric by 2030. WWF has called for an even more ambitious target of 100 per cent electric vehicle sales by that date. "We will get an awful lot of the way there by 2030, And if the government just sends that extra signal, And closes that door a bit earlier, Then i...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

The Government should pay housewives

saucysal
aquariumkind

Lets start off with what the topic, "The Government should pay housewives", Is about. Basically, Women who do not working order to look after children or a household should be compensated by the government. This includes women on maternity leave. About 50% of all employers do not pay women during this time. Shifting the responsibility from the employers to the government is beneficial for the employers-they don't have to pay money-and it is also beneficial for the women as they are guaranteed pa...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

Raising The Minimum Wage

SomethingOrdinary
tumeric

Albeit a noble cause to champion the betterment of the lower class and fight for the right to higher income, I think there are some serious potential repercussions that could stem from arbitrarily raising the minimum wage or allowing it to adjust freely and based on the consumer price index or by some other impartial means of quantifying the current cost of living. For instance, If you raise the minimum wage in general or allow it to fluctuate based on expenses, Either way you would be creat...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

free admission to art museums

jackgilbert
Cartographic

Rules: Round 1: Acceptance only Round 2: Arguments only Round 3: Rebuttals only Round 4: Rebuttals and conclusions Note: No new arguments should be presented after round 2....

1 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Returning to the gold standard would be bad

alitar
AT-LOW

Returning to the gold standard would be bad for our economy...

0 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Canada needs to eliminate supply management.

mattlepp
Robertturner03

Canada has recently been faced with a new economic push coming from Maxime Bernier. The push to end the supply management of Canadian dairy, Poultry and eggs. The move to end SM is a good one for all Canadians, And here's why. -Canadians will save huge on the products currently under SM, And all complimentary goods, Like cheese and baked goods pre-made lunches etc, As well as co products like veal, Whey, Etc. Producers will be reimbursed for their quota over many years. This means an easy reti...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Months Ago

disabled ppl must pay more taxes

SammiTheKitten
EthanSucc

disabled ppl must pay more taxes...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 2 Months Ago