toktarkhans
MandatoryAccount

i would rather choose wide vocabulary instead of perfect grammar

toktarkhans has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

toktarkhans

Con

i tend to believe that perfect grammar can give you more perspectives; and even if words such as "abstruse" or "plethora" does not make sense to you, you can still be in touch with english speaking friends.
MandatoryAccount

Pro

While an immense vocabulary of more than 10,000 words is quite overkill, you have to admit that anything less than 2,000 known words is very irritating. Some people I know, do not understand the words I speak or phrases. Of course, I do not care much and I speak less formally, though I would be ecstatic if I could speak with them as I normally do.

Secondly, a semi-large vocabulary can help you explain yourself or make you seem more intelligent than you are. You may as well be a Nobel Prize winner, but if you can't explain yourself in a scientific paper then you'll be disregarded as a moron or a fraud. Another point, which is a tad more pertinent has to do with debates.

The other side often backs down when they see the combination of both good grammar and a large vocabulary. However, a large vocabulary is the main culprit here, simply due to the fact that confusion is a powerful weapon. If the other side has to look up a word you said, such as my quite obvious and malicious usage of 'pertinent' then they would feel weaker, or less intelligent compared to the opponent.

Since you made a short case, I'll do much the same. I await your response.
Posted by debatedgiraffe 3 years ago
debatedgiraffe
I was going to do the grammar thing but it seems that you've already taken it-