Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
TamCM
kyleniel

if someone says they are a gender other than what they were born as. Are they?

TamCM has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

TamCM

Con

(i should clarify that at one point I too was transgender and have recently gone back on my decision. ) a man should not wake up one day and decide that he is now a woman. This is mostly because there is no way to be sure that you are what you tell yourself you are. There is a ridiculous rate of suicide for the trans community and it's not because of the "bullying" that they endure. It's because of the regret for the surgery or the regret for coming out as trans. Once you do that you can never go back to your old identity. I should know because I have had to deal with changing my gender for the second time. Gender dysphoria is real and I feel like we need to spread this message to the poor souls who are currently going through what I went through
kyleniel

Pro

Just because some people make mistakes doesn't mean all people should pay for it.