killy
Kvng_8

is anime, Cartoon?

killy

Pro

Should anime be refered to as cartoon?
Kvng_8

Con

I wish you would have made it to where it's more rounds, But perhaps our back and forth will be brief.

Definitions

Cartoon - A cartoon is a type of illustration, Possibly animated, Typically in a non-realistic or semi-realistic style.
Anime - A style of Japanese film and television animation, Typically aimed at adults as well as children.

One could argue that anime is a cartoon because, Just like a cartoon they are both animated (as from the definitions). Yes they are both animated television shows but the meanings of both of these run much deeper and that's what you must take into consideration. There are very big differences between the two that makes them differentiate from each other. Cartoons aren't realistic and it's aimed more so to children. Anime is completely different, It's more catered towards adults and it's stories are more realistic. Anime includes fight scenes, Blood, Violence, Scenes that need viewer discretion, Real world philosophies, Characters who are actually fleshed out with backstories, Much different graphics and animation, And characters in anime are anatomically correct to the human body. The origin of an anime is different from that of a cartoon. Anime originated in Japan.

Anime should not be considered a cartoon. Anime is anime and a cartoon is a cartoon.

killy

Pro

Why should Anime and cartoon be differentiated when they are the same thing
Kvng_8

Con

Anime's origin is much different from cartoons, It came from Japan. They are not one in the same. Like I said, They are both animated of course because they both have drawn out fictional characters and not real people but I've already explained how different they are. As far as Teen Titans, That is more relatable to anime because it's inspired by anime. It has a Japanese intro. Plus, Teen Titans is a serious show. As far as Teen Titans Go, That would fit in the cartoon category obviously. My R1 argument still stands.

Thanks for the debate.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
@killy, I get that you want to show similarities, But the similarities are not what classifies them. You need to figure out what the exclusivities are. Violence is not a good stat to use because literally all genres have some form of violence in them, With maybe the exception of preschool shows.
Posted by killy 3 years ago
killy
@WrickItRalph
Upon stating the genre' violence ' it was for an example to demonstrate that teen titans as an example is also comparable to an anime
All being animations
All can be called cartoons
NB:there are many different types of Genre thats why there are many different types of cartoons, Cause we all don't like the same genre but we like cartoons which are animation which in japan its refered to as Anime
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
@killy. Teen titans does not draw with the same level of realism as an anime and is based off the comic book style of animation, Which is why it looks somewhat realistic. The thing you should pay attention to with teen titans is the lack of consistent shading movement detail. Furthermore, Some animations are referred to as cartoons and anime interchangeably. Netflix, For instance, Might put teen titans in the anime section because it is semi realistic. I would also like to point out that violence is not necessary for something to be an anime because there are genres that have no violence, They're called slice of life anime. One example would be ki ki's delivery service.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
Cartoon is a broad term for anything done with animation. CGI generally flies as a cartoon as well depending on how realistic it tries to look. Anime is special name that was originally given to Japanese animations, Especially ones hitting the foreign markets. Traditionally, Cartoons were meant to refer to animations that purposely had simplified features (toons). Anime has "toons" as well, But they had special features that came from a traditional style of drawing anime (I don't remember the name of the style of somebody wants to fil me in). The big difference here is that anime will have realistic looking scenes and fill spontaneously flash to their cartoon counterparts during gags. This style of anime still exist to this day. I think even AOT might have used it before, But I'm not sure. Now a days. The anime genre is more than just cartoons out of japan. They come from other places as well and are now more based on the drawing style of giving the characters realistic features and I've seen a few CGI anime. Cartoon has grown into a broad term, Although we differentiate between adult and kid cartoons.
Posted by killy 3 years ago
killy
Teen titans depicts violence, Flashbacks, Realism and its a cartoon
Regular show Also depicts political views Nd its a cartoon
Cartoons depicts what animes show so they are just the same
The difference is just that the other is made in japan the other is made somewhere else if not japan
Posted by killy 3 years ago
killy
NotPolitical cartoons lawd
Anime is short for animation and animation is refered to as cartoon
Therefore anime is cartoon
No categorizing the "cartoon'
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
Yeah, This one and the selfish debate haha.

When I say cartoon, I'm simply referring to shows like Powerpuff girls, Billy and Mandy, Teen titans go etc, Not political cartoons, Just regular cartoons. People tend to think that's what anime is but it isn't. They're vastly different. I see your argument somewhat, But mine still stands high. Thanks for input although I wish there were more rounds. Oh well.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
i argue that they both have foundations in philosophy and are associated equally to a sem realistic state.

intresting, I didn't notice that i commented a lot on your stuff. I might have to double check.

cartoon definiton
A drawing depicting a humorous situation, Often accompanied by a caption.
n. A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon.
n. A preliminary sketch similar in size to the work, Such as a fresco, That is to be copied from

both can emphasize humorous situations, The difference between anime and cartoons in america is not the shared semi realistic nature, But the depth of the philosophical nature and importation of values that japan and other eastern countries value in place of more western ideals.
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
You sure are commenting on every debate I am in. Both are not cartoons, But are they both animated? Yes. Name some philosophies that you've seen in cartoons? The realism difference between anime and cartoons are pretty obvious, You would know that if you watch/familiar with anime. If you are, Then there's no need for me to explain.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
the way you are going, You would have to separate what realism differences there are between anime and cartoons, Both have philosophies and values, Some for the purpose of entertainment, Some for the purpose of giving a moral lesson. In that regard, Both are cartoon in adaptation and its semi realism