ShockWave123456789
seanlconway

is water wet?

ShockWave123456789 has forfeited round #5.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

ShockWave123456789

Con

I don't think water is wet because wet is a human description of water. the molecules slide around, moving to completely cover to object being submerged. it then clings to the object and then it is described as being wet, the human feeling description for water. The memes need to stop. please. let's end the age of is water wet memes.
seanlconway

Pro

The statement above is basically saying water is dry. Water is covered by itself. My skin is covered by more layers of skin just like water is covered by more layers of water because there are many different H20 molecules covered by more H20 molecules. Water molecules as you stated in your argument need to cling on to something but they cling to each other the water. This is basically the same thing as saying a fire is not hot because fire emits thermal energy and thermal energy creates heat but heat is a state. Heat is something that happens when you touch fire cause fire is hot. Something can only be wet if the initial thing is wet and water is wet because the H20 molecules cling on to each other and stack.
ShockWave123456789

Con

the reason I think water isn't wet is that because they move around and they have a liquid form, so that means that they would be described as wet. Wet is not a scientific term for the feel of moisture; meaning that water is not actually wet, but it might be moist or humid, but wet is not a correct term for water if it was actually wet. But, the analogy about skin and water is good, so you have slightly swayed my argument about if water is wet or not. but, a simple analogy doesn't mean that water is wet. Another property of water is to dispel heat because the liquid drenches the radiation and light form of heat; so that means it could be described as the opposite of heat, but it is still a decent conductor of heat. water is not wet because of the fact that wetness is a description of how we interact, think of, and experience it. Water is a polar molecule, therefore 'sticking' to other molecules, and also to molecules of their class, or in other words, other polar molecules.
seanlconway

Pro

Thank you for stating your arguments! I would love to start by countering your last argument. Your previous round two argument is counter-intuitive to your other argument. This is simply because in your first argument you stated that wetness is a description of when the water molecules cling on to something. Then in your next argument, you talked about how water molecules are polar meaning they can cling on to each other. Remember water has no fixed shape or size, so if two water molecules touch they are making each other wet by definition. Now for my actual point... the definition of wet. You also gave me a random definition that could be fake. Remember there are thousands of millions of definitions out there and a vast quantity that is unreliable. I saw the same definition on a news and quarries website which means anyone could have posted that definition. For my first source, the Merriam Webster, one of the most trusted dictionaries, defines wet as "" consisting of, containing, covered with, or soaked with liquid (such as water")". I did not add the such as water part that was there in the first place. Secondly, the second definition on dictionary.com which is also one of the most trusted dictionary's in North America describes their second definition of wet as "in a liquid form or state". Water is in a liquid form or state therefore further proving that water is wet.

Thank you for listening to my argument and I hope you consider it deeply!
http://www.dictionary.com...
https://www.merriam-webster.com...
ShockWave123456789

Con

Okay... I don't think that I ever said that if water is clinging to an object, the said object was wet. But please, Consider the following. As I state from The Guardian, "by the definition of wet, which is the condition of being covered or soaked in liquid, then water isn't wet, it just makes other things wet." I also state from another debate article by sweetbreeze that "If you say water is wet.... Say you pour water on water, would you say the water is wet?" All of this means that water get things wet, but is not wet itself.
seanlconway

Pro

Thank you for stating your last few points. I would like to start by countering your latest argument. As I said before The Guardian page you were on is a notes and queries page which means anyone can post on it. If you scroll down further on the same page it says that water is wet because it is a page that anyone can post anything, but the most liked answer goes to the top. The reason so many individuals think water isn't wet is because that specific website is the top website, but people don't know what notes and queries or the sciences behind water being wet is. Now to counter your other point, in your first argument, you precisely said: "it then clings to the object and then it is described as being wet". Then you talked about the water molecules are polar in your next argument. Also, water doesn't make itself wet, but the polar molecules clinging on to each other make each other wet (not because they touch but because they cling on to each other). Now for my point... water is wet because of strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding. Water does not become a 3D object unless there are six or more H20 molecules bonded together with strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding. Since there are six H20 molecules required it means that there are multiple H20 molecules needed to make each other wet before it can become a 3D object. Thank you for listening to my argument and I hope you deeply consider what I've said.sources:
http://nautil.us...
http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk...
https://www.theguardian.com...
ShockWave123456789

Con

What is tetrahedral bonding because my teacher and I couldn't figure it out. May you please phrase it in a way that I could understand, and thank you. Anyways, let's get back to the topic. you have very strong arguments, and you are also good at arguing and science. Water isn't wet because of the fact that, once again, water being wet is the human description of water, and also the fact that if it was wet, the air in the atmosphere would be wet because of the humidity. and is air wet? I consider air to not be wet, and so do all the people in my classroom. Those are some reasons why water is wet.
seanlconway

Pro

Thank you for stating your arguments. I would like to start by countering your previous argument(s). I will later further define strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding and state my new points regarding water being wet. Firstly, the water in the air is steam and is not classified as water. Water is defined by the Oxford Dictionary as "A colorless, transparent, odorless, liquid which forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms". Steam is not in a liquid state, but rather in a gas state classifying it as not water. If the analogy you used was correct then if we poured water on ice and the ice got wet then we would be able to say that ice was water and water were getting wet because ice is water in another form. I also already pointed out that the definition you posted was inaccurate and not a trustworthy source. Trusted dictionaries such as the Merriam Webster and Dictionary.com have pointed this out your definition as incorrect, and defined wet as anything containing, saturated, or covered by a liquid and both the dictionaries used water as an example. I will repost the links to those definitions down below. Strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding is hard to put into words to someone with a minuscule vocabulary because it is such a complex subject. Too put it into more basic words, strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding is the way molecules bond together. The properties of a liquid are so much different than the properties of a solid that it creates a difference in the strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding. The molecules in water are compound molecules that are made out of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. Scientists have proven that you need five of these compound molecules to make water a physical thing. This is because the strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding is forming in such a way that the molecules need to make each other wet before becoming a physical thing. That is not exactly how strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding works, but its a beginners way of thinking about it for sure. Now for my point. The reason people believe water is wet is because that's what it says as the number one website on Google. Remember that back in December 2017 the Internet also said Lavar Ball was the founder of the NBA as the number one website for that specific search. My point is that there is plenty of fake news out there, and people will believe anything they see on the web, if they don't have expertise in that specific area. If you asked any verified scientist I guarantee he will confirm that water is in fact wet because of the science behind it. Thank you so much for listening to my argument, and I hope you consider what I have said.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
http://www.dictionary.com......
https://www.merriam-webster.com......
Posted by ShockWave123456789 3 years ago
ShockWave123456789
this video is reasons why water isn't wet and it also has proof.
Posted by seanlconway 3 years ago
seanlconway
I posted a few trustworthy links to dictionaries in my argument hopefully that will help you make your decision... Also to everyone if you would like this debate, and vote for me at the end that would greatly be appreciated!!!
Posted by Orangedinossaur 3 years ago
Orangedinossaur
Water is not wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the dictionary.