brock_morgan
Sancheese

listening to music through headphones in class

brock_morgan has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

brock_morgan

Con

listening to music through headphones in class is rude.
Sancheese

Pro

It depends on which type of music you're listening to and if you have permission from your teacher. During this debate I will be touching on the following points; 1, it helps students concentrate and 2, it gives them topics to talk about with their classmates and make friends. I strongly believe that listening to music in class is GOOD for students. Here are my reasons...

In round 1, I will be discussing my first point, how music helps students concentrate better in class.

Did you know that it is proved through a number of surveys of groups of students and tests that for most students music actually helps them concentrate better in class. Listening to music actually helps kids who have family issues and other problems relax and take their mind off the problems for a few minutes. "Music helps me finish my homework, even my big reports that are due for class. The same thing goes for my columns that I write for the paper," said one of the students who took part of the study. Did you know that more than 90 percent of students and employees find listening to music helps them focus and be productive?

But of course not all students are the same, it really just depends on the student and how responsible they are and sometimes it also depends on the task assigned. I myself are a student who is part of a Gifted and Talented group which means we have bigger and harder assignments and a much larger work load, but our teachers let us listen to music in class and it doesn't just help everyone be quiet but it really does help you concentrate. I can really say, "Hey trust me! I've been there, done it and it's not a big silly lie, it's been scientifically proven and many students can prove it."

Now you're probably thinking, "Hey look, this person has said and shown all this proof about listening to music during class being good, I'm gonna go listen to some pop or rap songs!" Well actually...it doesn't work like that. In part, it may depend upon what type of music you listen to and what types of things you're studying. But what should you listen to? Classical music might be a good choice, as it can tend to calm the nerves and help you focus. On the other hand, listening to loud, raucous music that's distracting can have the opposite effect by keeping your mind preoccupied with the music rather than the subject matter at hand.

A few other studies that still relate to this matter are these interesting ones. Scientific studies show that babies respond to music before they're even born. Some scientists believe that exposing children to classical music at an early age can help their brains develop and make them smarter. Music definitely can have physical effects on the body. Scientists have conducted studies that suggest music can help lower blood pressure and even relieve pain.

So now I will summarise my debate. Music is not just believed to help you concentrate but it actually is scientifically proven. Even still it always depends on the student and of course the music you're listening to. It is better to listen to classical or calm music as it helps calm nerves and stay focused.
If you're still not convinced then hopefully my next point will help erase that question mark!

Thank you! :)