Sebas.1999
mo_salah

messi better than ronaldo

Sebas.1999 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 4/28/2018 Category: Sports
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Sebas.1999

Pro

this has been a long debate, and I want to post my personal opinion, I think Messi is way better than Ronanldo, sure I can not and will never deny that Ronaldo has been a football icon of our era, he is one the best in this last recent years, no one can deny that, but the truth is Messi is so much better, I think Messi has a magic style that no one can do like him, the dribbles he does are just magical, the best defense that people that support ronaldo (funny thing only Madrid fans say he is better) but football is not all about stats and championships, is as how you play the game, Messi can score a goal dribbling trough half a team, goalkeeper included and let's be honest, Ronaldo will never do that , I want someone to give me good reasons why they think Ronaldo is better than Messi, also let us not forget that most of cr7 goals are by penalty or just pushing the ball and that is not something for the so called best of the world, without further to say,I would like someone to debate on this theme
mo_salah

Con

Well, if you pay fifa or follow football, you must surely be knowing about the legendary goal by Ronaldo against Juventus in the first leg. I have never seen or heard of Messi doing such a thing. Secondly, Barca without Messi is NOTHING. They trailed 2-0 against Sevilla in a La Liga game and only Messi rescued them by making the final score 2-2. Barca, as a team itself grew in reputation only 15 yrs ago. Till then teams like Sevilla, Real Sociedad and Real Madrid (RMA) dominated. If you see the golden period of FCB in the last 15 yrs, it was around this time that Messi emerged. Even Argentina, sometimes cannot do without Messi. Sur, there is always Di Maria, but for eg. in the last World Cup final, Argentina lost to Germany 1-0 and they had only 4 shots on goal, all by only Messi and not even Di Maria came close. Messi even took a free kick and missed it. So, I think I have a fairly good argument against the motion. Sure, I woulld agree that Portugal has come nowhere without Ronaldo, but Real Madrid has. They are looking for a record third consecutive UEFA Champions Trophy and have alredy won the first leg against Bayern. And who scored against Bayern? Only Marcelo and Assensio did. When FCB lost to Roma 3-0, Messi never got more than 10 touches. In the first leg, Messi scored two goaals which won them the first leg 4-1. So I guess I have fairly good points against the motion that Messi is better than Ronaldo.
Sebas.1999

Pro

oh yes indeed, I have seen that Ronaldo goal and it is indeed very good, and yes I have not seen Messi score something like that, but also I have never seen Ronaldo dribble trough half a team, and taking the keeper out, the only person that has done that is Maradona and you might want to call Messi a copycat but we will have to call Ronaldo a Hugo Sanchez copy cat too because he did that kind of goals, and you said that FBC depends a lot of Messi right, well let me tell yea that in the UCL final of 2015 when they won against juventus the star was Neymar because he was the one who scored the Goals, and also in the epic comeback, Messi did scored goals but that awesome free kick was from Neymar, and the problem of Argentina is that they throw all the charge to Messi, and football is a sport of 11 not 1 and that they expect Messi to do all and he can't, if you see the Argentina games you will se that Higuain disappears and has clear goal chances, so do not blame it on Messi, and they were good players in FBC before messi, the forwards were great before him, and you say RM does not depend of Ronaldo, well in the 2nd leg vs Juventus Ronaldo had to score in order for RM to barely pass, and in the last year he scored a hat trick vs Bayern and vs Atletico so he did almost everything, they need him, also I will tell you that most legends agree that Messi is better, and Ronaldo is only a forward, he only scores goals, Messi goes for the ball, creates plays and also assits and scores, that is pure football, that for me is better than having more goals , to me is better having 2 awesome goals than 20 penalty goals, true football fans aprecciate that more, you see Johan Cruyff was not a big trophy guy but his style and how he shaped modern football is what makes him one of the best of all times, something Roanldo deeply lacks
mo_salah

Con

You HAVE got a couple of things right friend. Argentina expect Messi to score and Ronaldo does score goals. Well, so does Messi. But in this case, we will have to talk about consistency. Sure both Messi and Ronaldo are consistent, but these days, you are not watching Messi score quite often against the so-called "well known" teams. And before I argue further, I would like you to not bring in someone like Cruyff and Maradonna as the player's skill and situations surrounding the game are different now compared to then. It would thus be better if players were compared with other existing players like your example about Neymar da Silva and Higuain. So moving on, Who said that Ronaldo doesn't " go for the ball, creates plays and also assits and scores"? You cannot always say that a guy who doesn't trick guys much are not good enough. Benzema tricks fairly well but, he is not the best striker in the world because he misses many goals simply because he meets the pole quite often. FCB and RMA have their own differences. FCB's strength is going solo and assisting when needed. RMA's strength is passing when necessary and assisting when needed. What would any football buff or player agree more? Going solo with odds stacked horribly against you or passing beautifully, assing and scoring? According to you, Messi goes for the ball. Who said Ronaldo doesn't?