jkalter11
704476

school dresscode

704476 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

jkalter11

Con

All the things the dress codes enforce are things you see everyday. No one is truly distracted by what the dress code bans. What is wrong with trying to feel comfortable? What is wrong with showing legs or shoulders? Also what parent will let their kid buy or wear something that is truly distracting? What kid would go to school with their butt hanging out of their shorts. 1/2 of its no even enforced. Also I want to know how's it fair I end up in pants on a 90 degree day while others can wear shorts. Sorry I was born with long legs and have only 3 pairs of short and 3 dress/skirts . I can't wear 1/2 of my clothes that I would wear in public. Why can't wear clothes my mom or dad says is okay. Both of them will make me change if it would be to distracting.
As a middle school student I understand why we need a dress code and why it is healthy, but the dress code can be a bit much at times. Middle School is a time of finding who you are and finding a way to express that. We had a class debate about this and why we cant wear pajamas and tank-tops to school.
My teacher says "We as teachers are trying to prepare to be adults and how to handle the real world and in the real world you aren't going to be wearing pajamas unless you need to run out to Walmart at 3 in the morning."
Then I go "Ya, but people are expecting us to act like adults, and we do to a certain extent, but not everybody treats us like adults. When you were in middle school did you really want to be told what you had to do 24/7 and have to act like an adult?"
She answers"No"
Then I respond "Assuming most of the other teachers feel the same way as you, then why are you putting all this pressure on us to perform like adults?"
She replies "We have gotten off topic. Let's get back to the task at hand."
Tell me if I am wrong but I believe I have a valid point.
704476

Pro

you make it sound as if we live in a world full of unicorns and rainbows
i don't know what preppy private school you go to but at mine the girls dress too distracting for male students and therefore we have a dress code so girls aren't harassed.
jkalter11

Con

but schools are being sexists towards girls and making rules for them but not boys
Posted by 704476 3 years ago
704476

NO they're protecting us females from being harassed and humiliated