Kirby101
MasterMewtwo

should healthy food/drink be taxed?

MasterMewtwo
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Kirby101

Con

If healthy food/drinks are not taxed, then more people will buy them
MasterMewtwo

Pro

Tax is money given to the government, which they can spend on things such as national health, more food, science, and jobs. Plus more! It's not even that huge of a difference of cost, so why stop if it's being spent on all these causes?
Kirby101

Con

good point, but with it taxed less people will buy the healthy stuff, which is bad, and people will get fater
MasterMewtwo

Pro

To answer how much tax adds, I'd need to do more research than I'm willing. However, it's definitely not a large amount. Could you prove that tax is making people buy less? As long as you have a decent income, you can buy roughly $30 of fruits, which will probably get you through until your next paycheck.

Next round, I'll probably do some heavy math to conclude.
Kirby101

Con

thanks for being in this debate with me, it helps a lot.
but i will not be able to beat heavy math, end of story.
MasterMewtwo

Pro

My opponent conceded he'd be unable to beat math, though I'll just drop down my argument anyway.

The lowest paying job pays $18,600 [see source 1]. I'll assume this means yearly. Divide by 12, that's $1,550 per month. At Walmart, you can get food pretty cheap. 2 pounds of Honey crisp apples cost $4.74 [source 2], bananas are $0.48 for one [source 3], and you can get Swanson White Chicken for $3.88 [source 4]. There's several other options, but I'm only using these 3.

Let's assume every day you get 4 lbs of apples (which would be about 12 apples, source 5), 6 bananas, and 3 Swanson chickens.
That's $14.22 + $2.88 + $11.64... $28.74 spent every day. At most, a month has 31 days, so spending that 31 times is $890.94 spent every month. That leaves $650.06 you can spend on other food, and tax.

In conclusion, there's no reason to avoid buying healthy food since it's so cheap. Anyone with a decent job can buy enough food for any basic diet.
Posted by MasterMewtwo 3 years ago
MasterMewtwo
I didn't account for all those other taxes since we were talking solely about (healthy) food taxes, and I'm not that familiar with taxes in general.
Posted by Kirby101 3 years ago
Kirby101
makes sence
Posted by WhyThoCx 3 years ago
WhyThoCx
the pro guy forgot all the other taxes that you need to account. That's not including living expenses such as rent, clothes, fuel, federal/state income taxes ....etc. Taxing healthy food will not make poor people want to buy it more you nub. Poor people cant afford to spend that much per month, especially if they are the breadwinners in their family and have to provide for everyone. You don't need research to figure this stuff out, it is just common sense.
Vote Placed by Emily77 3 years ago
Emily77
Kirby101MasterMewtwo
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: This site has gone so far downhill...it's a little sad.