tory_hero
Anonymous

should under 18s vote

tory_hero has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

tory_hero

Con

under 18s don't really have a full education. But I want to know everybody else's thoughts.

Pro

I contend that those under the age of 18 should be allowed to vote in certain circumstances; if they can pass a test showing adequate understanding of U.S. history and government, and if they fit all the other requirements that those over 18 have to fulfill to vote. In fact, I believe that as a country we should reconsider the aversion to the use of poll tests as a condition of voting. While in many cases those tests were abused to require an unrealistic knowledge level and were applied in a discriminatory way, if they were standardized and fairly implemented, they would help ensure that the electorate is informed enough to vote. The problem that minors don't have adequate education would be answered by requiring these poll tests. Personally, I am undecided about the issue; however for the purposes of debate I am taking the Pro side based on the only implementation (requiring poll tests) which would in my view make voting rights for minors make sense.

Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I actually don't support allowing people under the age of 18 to vote. I was looking for a debate that I could participate in, but it was almost all spammers. So I decided just to debate the pro side of this. Even though I don't really agree with it - you have to learn to debate both side.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
NYStateofMined
I like what dloos says. I think age is just a lazy proxy we use for voting eligibility. I would assume it is used at least somewhat like this because it's an age where we assume people are informed enough to vote.

Tell me, what is "better" - someone 17 years and 364 days old who has watched both conservative and liberal news and read newspapers every day for the past 10 years? or someone who is 18 years and 1 day old who never went to even elementary school? who would you rather have vote?

Keep it up DLOOS!
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
Gryyphyn
Much like carding someone who doesn't look like a typical resident of the geographical locale you'd have someone cry about it on behalf of someone else whom they have nothing to do with. I think everyone should be required to show ID and pass a simple test. Now who writes that test? What should be on it? Careful you check what's in that container you open for there be nematodes inside.