trollzor48
IndestructibleAntilope

should violent video games be banned

trollzor48 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

trollzor48

Con

I think they should not ban them
IndestructibleAntilope

Pro

Neither do I, but just for the sake of this argument, I'll accept the opposing position.

While there's little to no evidence supporting the claim that video games cause violence, perhaps there is a case to be made that certain types of violence are unacceptable in games.

So I'm mainly going to focus on games that go "too far". (I will freely admit that I've moved the goalpost a bit, but I do this because of the lack of evidence on my side of the debate).

With the possible exceptions of psychopaths, sociopaths and severe narcisists, everyone has a line they will not cross. Where this line lies is different for each individual, yet there are some subjects that illicit (or would illicit) such outrage from the general public, that banning it might not be such a bad idea.

Let's imagine a game that would involve raping children. No matter how much you object to censorship, I doubt that many people would defend a game such as this and would not see banning it as an infringement on free expression. The horror that people will feel when confronted with such a game even existing is enough to override any reservations they might have concerning the banning of a videogame.

So, yes, games that overstep certain boundries should be banned if there is a general concensus with the public.