snaymansukh2004
dukeofpanda

social media is bad

snaymansukh2004

Con

social media is good
dukeofpanda

Pro

First I shall begin clarifying that not only is social media bad, it is "BAD TO THE BONE" bbbbbad bad to the bone.

I shall begin my argument by quoting Geroge Thorogood's lyrics to his song bad to the bone to establish the grounds as to why social media is bad to the bone.

On the day I was born
The nurses all gathered 'round
And they gazed in wide wonder
At the joy they had found
The head nurse spoke up
And she said leave this one alone
She could tell right away
That I was bad to the bone
Bad to the bone
Bad to the bone
B-B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-B-Bad
Bad to the bone
I broke a thousand hearts
Before I met you
I'll break a thousand more, baby
Before I am through
I wanna be yours pretty baby
Yours and yours alone
I'm here to tell ya honey
That I'm bad to the bone
Bad to the bone
B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-Bad
Bad to the bone
I make a rich woman beg
I'll make a good woman steal
I'll make an old woman blush
And make a young girl squeal
I wanna be yours pretty baby
Yours and yours alone
I'm here to tell ya honey
That I'm bad to the bone
B-B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-B-Bad
Bad to the bone
Now when I walk the streets
Kings and Queens step aside
Every woman I meet
They all stay satisfied
I wanna tell ya pretty baby
Well ya see I make my own
I'm here to tell ya honey
That I'm bad to the bone
Bad to the bone
B-B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-Bad
(Hoo) bad to the bone

Nurses can attest the wonder and joys of social media and if they want to keep their careers without incident they leave social media alone.

The heart breaks recorded and caused by social media surely number in the thousands and there will be more. Many find out someone is cheating on them through social media. Or they get broken up with through social media. Social Media even broke many people's hearts when they found out Mark Zuckerburg lied to them and was misusing personal information. Such betrayal!

All manner of women from varying socioeconomic backgrounds and age groups have begged squealed and blushed due to social media. And yet the stick around, because they are satisfied.

Kings and queens, more like political and social leaders. And yes, they step aside to social media, they know the power and influence social media has.

Social media is bad to the bone.
snaymansukh2004

Con

If you were to connect, in real life, with as many folks as you can connect with through the Internet, the outcome would be disastrous.

Being a person means wearing a mask. Even the word is derived from the Etruscan word "phersu", which means mask. Real life interactions require you to wear different masks. You can"t interact or connect with other human beings, in real life, without wearing some sort of mask.

I"m talking about us, normal people. Of course, there are leaders in this world who are able to be themselves, absolutely transparent and sincere, almost all of the time, regardless of who they are talking with.
dukeofpanda

Pro

No Rebuttal?

Also, I fail to see how anything you have said proves anything about whether social media is good.

You've essentially said that most people put on a mask when they interact with others. By itself your argument is neither profound, humorous, nor, most importantly, relevant. Your argument is irrelevant.

The entire premise of this argument is vague. Social media is bad? In what way? how about this: Prove to me there isn't one shred of what any person might be considered bad in social media.

In other words, If there is any aspect of social media that is bad or that can be used for bad you lose.

The most you could have hoped for in the beginning of this debate is to say that Social media is in of itself intrinsically neutral since only conscious beings can act in way contrary to morality much like how a gun only commits an act of wrongdoing if the person operating it does.

But no, you have not chosen to say that social media is neutral, you have chosen to say it is good.

So I say: If there is any aspect of social media that is bad or that can be used for bad you lose.

Is bullying bad? Is sexual solicitation of a minor bad? Is misleading people and taking their personal data for nefarious purposes bad? Is racism bad? Is posting some idiot comment and then getting fired for it bad?

Because Social media enables all of these things to take place. And in the case of misleading and manipulative data mining, the creators of social media are directly responsible for this since they intentionally created many of the social media platforms with this as one of their purposes.

Even if social media has some good points there are plenty of bad points that can be ascribed to it.

Social media is bad.
snaymansukh2004

Con

You can"t swing an iPhone without hitting a dozen studies about how social media is making us depressed, killing our relationships and depriving us of sleep. But it"s not ALL bad news.

Sure, there"s no doubt that researchers have found some significant downsides to thinking in 140-character quips and holding a little rectangle a foot from our faces for 90 percent of our waking hours. But there"s more to social media than an endless parade of Instagram-induced FOMO. And when it comes to health and happiness, some of the negative impacts of social media are actually balanced out by some awesome benefits. Check them out below"and don"t forget to share this article, obviously:

Social media helps the elderly feel less isolated.
Ever feel alone in the middle of a crowded Facebook thread? For many of us, social media can sometimes make us feel lonely and isolated. But for the elderly, a Facebook account can have the opposite effect. A UK project looked at the impact that having a computer would have on a group of participants aged 60-95 years old"and the effects were fantastic.

Those trained on using a computer experienced heightened feelings of self-competence, participated more in social activity, had improved cognitive capacity and showed a better sense of personal identity. "People who are socially isolated or who experience loneliness are more vulnerable to disease and decline," explained Dr. Thomas Morton, the project lead. "For these reasons finding ways to support people"s social connections is a really important goal. This study shows how technology can be a useful tool for enabling social connections, and that supporting older people in our community to use technology effectively can have important benefits for their health and well-being."
dukeofpanda

Pro

https://www.care2.com...

You copy and pasted your entire argument directly from this site.
If you can't even bother to write as single shred of your own thoughts then don't bother debating.

Here's a fun statistic I pulled from this article here:
http://www.paradiseinhomecare.com...

Two thirds of all senior citizens have been victimized or targeted by online scammers. They are an especially vulnerable target because, as you pointed out, they feel isolated. Couple that isolation and there lack of internet know how and you've just exposed grandma to a plethora of social media evils.

Not to mention the growing concern of social media addiction as mentioned in this BBC article:
http://www.bbc.com...

So you think it's a good thing to expose Elderly people to an addictive product that potentially ruins the lives of those who use it just so they can superficially feel a little less lonely for a while. Yes, it's superficial since it's all a facade of people wearing masks anyway, especially so with the anonymous nature of the internet. With your line of reasoning we should just give the elderly cocaine or some other drug. Drugs will make them feel less isolated too and can make them feel so self-competent they'll think they can fly!

Of course that's a ridiculous idea, but we don't go around claiming cocaine is good either. The problem with the study you show is that it doesn't consider the negative side effects. And there are negative side effects.

A person can go around helping people 99% of the time but as soon as they kill one person, guess what? They are a bad person. Social media has resulted in the ruin of countless of peoples lives. Social media can help people, sure, but at the end of the day its essentially a crazed sociopath looking to get its kicks at the expense of others.

Your goal was to show that social media isn't bad. But you even admit there are negative impacts of social media.
You wanted to say that social media is good, but the argument you copied and pasted only showed balance.

You have failed in both regards. You have failed to show that Social media is dominantly good. And, more importantly, you have failed to show that social media is not bad.