billsands
BiggsBoonj

the bigger the government is the better life is for the majority

billsands

Pro

High taxes on the rich, Free health care and free education, Subsidized housing and food programs, Lots and lot of welfare for families old people disabled and the poor, It might not be socialism, Or maybe you think that is socialism, But i would keep a market economy and have the government decide who gets what like the nordic nations and systems, Welfarism, Socialism, Whatever, Call it what you will, Its progressive capitalism how about that? Whatever you want to call that system they use in the nordic model, Thats the model for me! Itworks for those peole why wouldn't it work here? Why?
BiggsBoonj

Con

So your statement is "the bigger the government is, The better life is for the majority", So I will be debating against that. Note that I am not necessarily debating against forms of socialism, But the idea that the bigger the better. I hope we have a good debate!

The first argument I want to discuss is the Nordic countries. You say that a Nordic system will work in the United States, But the United States is much larger in size and population. Only the state of Texas is larger than any of the Nordic countries. So what works for them wouldn't necessarily work for us. Plus, The US is wealthier than all these countries combined, And only Norway has a higher GDP per capita than the US (mostly because of its huge oil reserves).

The second argument I disagree with is high taxes on the rich. High taxes on the rich actually hurt the economy. Instead of spending their money on business which grows the economy and purchasing stuff which grows the economy too, Their money goes to the government. Many rich people will even stop paying taxes alltogether by fleeing to foreign countries or tax fraud. The Laffer curve (https://www. Investopedia. Com/terms/l/laffercurve. Asp) represents what happens when taxes are high very well.

The premise of your argument is that the bigger the better. That's wrong, As shown by big-government countries like USSR, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Nazi Germany etc. All these countries have big government and have horrible human rights. So while you can point to countries with supposedly big governments that are successful, I could point to countries with actual big governments that were terrible.

And finally, A big government would be unneeded and extremely inefficient. Tens of thousands of bureaucrats would have to be paid from the government budget, Which would only increase the taxes. Increasing the taxes would require more bureaucrats and so on. Decreasing taxes, On the other hand, Would shrink the amount of bureaucrats which would give us the ability to hire less government officials. Big government sucks, And the many fascist and communist countries that existed have proven that.
billsands

Pro

Germany has a similar social system and has 80 million population and functions well very well

Remember between 1943 and 1973 the top tax rate was as high as 94% and the economy was booming
BiggsBoonj

Con

What happened to my Round 2 argument?
billsands

Pro

according to the list i provided the usa has a quality of life very low on the list it is even below france so what list are you looking at?
BiggsBoonj

Con

France isn't socialist and doesn't use the Nordic system, Dummy. You are arguing for "the bigger the better", Remember? France has a smaller gov't than Germany and Nordic countries, But it's better according to your stats. Doesn't that destroy your argument?
Posted by BiggsBoonj 3 years ago
BiggsBoonj
Thanks for deleting my arguments so people would think yours are better.