el_padre
NettSpaghet

there is a limit to how far the first amendment can protect you

el_padre

Pro

I think that there is a limit to how far the first amendment can protect you if your religion tells you to take illegal drugs or have a human sacrifice I do not think that should be legal
NettSpaghet

Con

You are partly correct, There are so many religions in the world. Which ones will abuse the first amendment? The first amendment has 5 parts: (freedom of. . . ) speech, Press, Assembly, Religion, And petition. America's largest religion is Christianity. I myself am a Christian. Thomas Jefferson was a Deist. Deism believes that there is a God, But he is not personal. They believe that he watches over us but does not interfere with human business. Thus, They do not believe in miracles. If America had become Deists, We would not have to debate over the first amendment. I do not know of any religions that tell its followers to take illegal drugs, But if there is one, Someone would have to choose between the law and their religion. If they choose the law then they will have to abandon their religion or that part. If they chose their religion then the law will catch them. One day. I think the same thing goes with human sacrifice, Either law or beliefs.
el_padre

Pro

bad decision you said in your first statement that I was right. You had nothing supporting your side of the argument and half of the things you said were unnecessary read the comments to all you voters I will not be able to take part in round three but reading the comments will help all you voters vote pro and el_padre out
NettSpaghet

Con

NettSpaghet forfeited this round.
el_padre

Pro

el_padre forfeited this round.
NettSpaghet

Con

NettSpaghet forfeited this round.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
Here's a good resource to refer to.
"The legal age for purchasing or PUBLICLY consuming alcohol in the United States is 21. "
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
I don't know about that. As a Mormon, I use water in the Sacrament.

The wine in Jesus' time was used because water was often unclean. It also had a much lower alcohol content. It's not as if you're drinking a lot, Either. I don't know how Catholics and other Christians do it nowadays, But I'm guessing that it's related to that.
Posted by el_padre 3 years ago
el_padre
in response to K_Michael_Tolman catholics say that they turn wine into the blood of christ people who are not catholic do not believe that it is the blood of christ they think it is wine witch is illegal for people under 21 and that is a law
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
The thing about the first amendment is that it doesn't restrict you, But the government. So laws that DO restrict you can still restrict you. If a law says pay taxes, But your religion says don't pay taxes, You still have to pay your taxes. So the first amendment protects you as long as you don't break the law.
Posted by Thoht 3 years ago
Thoht
If you don't think drugs should be illegal you don't really care about the drug bit unless they're forced on children/others. Human sacrifice is definitely a no-go.