KN0W174LL
Debater181

violent video games do NOT breed violence

Started: 2/20/2018 Category: Games

KN0W174LL

Pro

I have researched this topic thoroughly and I wish to definitively state that violent video games do not breed violence starting with the fact the violent video games likely draw a violent crowd not create one.
Debater181

Con

I accept your challenge.

I agree that they breed violence, because of the evidence I read from this article
https://www.huffingtonpost.com... In the embed video, it says that video games cause increased aggression, and decreased empathy. Violent video games also caused many people who played it to go on shooting or stabbing rampage. but that's another argument. Studies say that most people that play violent video games have grown more trigger happy with their fists, because they have been doing that in violent video games, so your argument is going against the flow of the river because 90 percent of people say the same thing as me,"They do cause violence."
KN0W174LL

Pro

First off, the Huffington post is in no way a reliable source it is a newsgroup thus its goal is not to spread information but to make you click on the article and make the company money, in fact, its even better for them if what they wrote is infactual because then they can write a second article on it and double their cash flow. Secondly, as stated by Patrick Markey, an associate professor of psychology at Villanova University, the director of the Interpersonal Research Laboratory, a former president of the Society for Interpersonal Theory and Research, and a researcher in many studies connecting video games to violence, there have been zero studies connecting violent video games with real-life violence "Research clearly suggests that exposure to violent video games temporarily increases a person's hostility. However, research does not show a clear link between playing violent video games and real-world violence." (Mankey 4).

Markey, Patrick. "In Defense of Video Games." Ebscohost, Ebsco Industries, 26 Apr. 2013, web.b.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?vid=2&sid=56610e3b-9cc2-4e49-b253-76b66c67cdf4%40pdc-v-sessmgr01&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=87904141&db=ulh.
Debater181

Con

Well for your point on video games not causing real-life violence, The Columbine shooter was influenced by the video game Doom, which he played often.
http://news.bbc.co.uk...; I know that it says

"But the legal challenge looks like it will fail because a similar lawsuit filed in the wake of a 1997 school shooting was dismissed when it came to court in April last year.
A federal judge said he threw out the case saying computer games are not subject to product liability laws." in the last two paragraphs, but it is not relevant to the argument.

http://listverse.com...;

These are other cases where Violent video games have influenced teenagers or gangs to kill other people just because they saw the action and/or committed them in the game. So Violent video games are related to real-life violence.

http://www.nydailynews.com... an 8-year-old boy committed a crime when influenced by a violent video game!
KN0W174LL

Pro

First of all I didn't state that violent video games are tied to aggression patrick markey did a renowned psychologist that leads studies into whether or not violent video games are tied to aggression. Secondly, your first and last source leads to 2 different 404 pages and your second has no works cited page has the same goal as any newsgroup, to get you to click on them, a more likely cause for these crimes is mental illness not the video games themselves or the children try to use violent video games as a scape goat. The salem witch trials were caused by simalar reasons video games are be attacked by, what would happen is people would commit crimes and instead of owning up to them they would blame "bad witches" for the crimes much like what is happening now with video games.
Debater181

Con

Sorry, the link for the BBC one is bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1295920.stm. Just copy and paste it into the browser. If it doesn't work, add the https:// after. The second one, if it doesn't work is http://listverse.com...; don't give me the 404 excuse, because it works fine with me. I know that the 8 year old one may have been removed, but the other ones are still active and working. (Sorry if I'm being a bit too harsh)

1. As http://www.center4research.org..., "Playing violent video games can increase aggressive thoughts, feelings and behavior in real life, according to two new studies. Violent video games may be more harmful than violent television and movies because they are interactive and engrossing, and they sometimes even require that the person playing identify with the aggressor." This is true, because most of my friends play GTA, and other games like that, and started swearing. Before, they had a clean vocabulary, but now, they have swear words incorporated into their vocabulary. According to Craig Anderson, (Also from center4research.com) increased exposure to violent video games is associated with higher levels of “aggressive behavior, aggressive cognition, aggressive affect and physiological arousal” as well as a decrease in prosocial behavior or “caring about the welfare and rights of others, feeling concern and empathy for them and acting in ways that benefit others."

Video games are making kids anti-social couch potatoes, and I am also guilty of this myself. When I play on the I-Pad, I completely tune out everyone around me, violent game or not. I don't talk to other people, just focus on playing the game.

Vote Con
Posted by KN0W174LL 3 years ago
KN0W174LL
Also please ignore my comments when voting The first comment is more for myself, analizing what I did right and wrong. My second is fixing a typo. And mt third is just me voicing my displeasure in that final arguement.
Posted by KN0W174LL 3 years ago
KN0W174LL
I just read his final argument... Come on you're comparing tuning out other people whilst playing video games to anti social behaviour? That is no where near the same thing now thus is a personal observation so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure everyone tunes out the people around them every now and again, that doesn't mean they're anti-social just that they like a little time to themselves.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Studies show that violent people are attracted to violent video games. The games don"t make them violent, they are already violent.
Posted by KN0W174LL 3 years ago
KN0W174LL
*that proved his point but*
I'm typing on my phone sorry for any other typos I may have missed.
Posted by KN0W174LL 3 years ago
KN0W174LL
Alright so his first arguement was easy to counter because as I had predicted he immediately went to the studies that proved his pointbbu the second was a little trickier because of his total reliance on his sources and lack of his own ideas not to mention that he didn't try to further his argument but strengtjen what he already had and since I wanted to counter his rebuttal without restating what I had already said before to heavily. One problem with my third arguement is I didn't take a lot of time to read the only working article he had and I forgot to further my argument with my finishing statement ehich would I have no doubt in my mind would have sealed my victory.
Posted by urmomgoestocollege 3 years ago
urmomgoestocollege
I think you are all dumb doggie dogs and some kid as done GTA because he wanted to be like the game but who cares because i got a slonger donger
Posted by 2SidedPolygon 3 years ago
2SidedPolygon
"So there you have it. There are no long term links between consuming violent video games and real world violence. If you"re worried about exposure to violence only in video games, you"re turning a blind eye to violence elsewhere. Look around, violent video games are nothing compared to the violence we consume in our daily news media."
This is a DIRECT QUOTE from the Huffington Post article. Did you even read it? Talk about cherry picking.
Posted by Mike_Concho 3 years ago
Mike_Concho
I am here to say that the Huffington Post source the con side provided is not so credible.

First off, The Huffington post is known to have a good deal of liberal bias within it, and more often then not, violent video games (and any sort of media they don't particularly like) will be in the firing line of the left, logical or not. This journalist in particular has a couple of liberal sounding articles in his portfolio as well. https://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Secondly, the study that tested the long term effects of video games was conducted in GERMANY, which may be a bit biased given the country's laws, censorship, and regulations that prohibit distribution of video games with even a modest amount of violence. Now I'm not saying that the study can be completely disregarded if it was carried out in a scientifically correct way, but considering we don't know for sure, you can have some doubts.
http://www.dorkly.com...

Lastly, when they talked about comparing the reactions to various images, they mentioned that gamers tended to have a lack of empathy when compared to the control group. Now while video games can correlate to said reactions, can it simply be the difference in culture between the gaming community and the control? Can the lack of empathy have existed beforehand, thus attracting those individuals to video gaming? There is a less likely chance for violent video games to attract an emotional person then a kid who grew up fascinated with conflict, roughhousing, and playing cops and robbers. Just my speculation, but it might have some value in it.
Posted by jeremyjenkins 3 years ago
jeremyjenkins
I meant debater181 sux
Posted by jeremyjenkins 3 years ago
jeremyjenkins
(fyi the person who made this reports people for no reason)