DDO is dead. For real..?

Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2017 5:02:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://i.imgur.com...

Zmikecuber is prevented from accessing the forums or PMs because his email is not verified.

He is prevented from verifying his email because of the 503 error.

Thus, no new members to the site will be able to actually post in a forum, start a debate, or PM anyone.

RIP DDO 2017
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
AequitasEtVeritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2017 5:21:01 AM
At 5/16/2017 5:02:24 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:

Zmikecuber is prevented from accessing the forums or PMs because his email is not verified.

Thus, no new members to the site will be able to actually post in a forum, start a debate, or PM anyone.

RIP DDO 2017

It's me, zmikecuber. I used an old gmail account I had to create a new account for the time being.

It seems you can only create DDO accounts with a google account or possibly a facebook account.

This would explain why over 90% of the new members haven't posted anything, participated in any debate, or voted on any polls.

So the site is going to go downhill alot in the future. Alot less growth.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2017 7:23:08 AM
I'm pretty sure constantly saying "DDO is dead" or bringing up well-known errors and glitches just makes Max more irritable.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2017 3:38:19 PM
Juggle is going to email me in response to an inquiry into purchasing them lol.

The website is evidently worth about $2m, so I don't think I'll be able to afford it though...

I'm looking into the viability of making a replacement website. It is daunting. Especially to a non-coder.

:3
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2017 3:38:50 PM
I'll ask them how they expect to charge so much when their site is so full of glitches. :^)

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2017 4:51:38 PM

RIP DDO 2017

I intend to use this site until it is literally impossible to use it.

Although, I have created a new edeb8 account just because I suspect some people will go there as this site becomes unusable, and the community is my favorite thing.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

Check out the latest episode of Nautilus:
http://www.debate.org...

It's a great series... some say

If you want to see the trailer for my movie, go here:

"This is all just propaganda," Airmax

"Oops wrong account," UtherPenguin
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2017 7:07:36 PM
At 5/16/2017 3:38:19 PM, Sui_Generis wrote:

The website is evidently worth about $2m, so I don't think I'll be able to afford it though...

I'm looking into the viability of making a replacement website. It is daunting. Especially to a non-coder.

Yeah not to put a damper on things, but I don't know if the populus of DDO would convert over to it. I was thinking of doing this a while back. When larz did it everyone just made fun of him and the site (edb8) even though it has just about everything active members here were asking for at the time.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2017 6:44:51 PM
At 5/16/2017 7:07:36 PM, TUF wrote:

Yeah not to put a damper on things, but I don't know if the populus of DDO would convert over to it. I was thinking of doing this a while back. When larz did it everyone just made fun of him and the site (edb8) even though it has just about everything active members here were asking for at the time.

I remember that lol. It wasn't too bad honestly.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2017 1:48:42 AM
At 5/16/2017 5:21:01 AM, AequitasEtVeritas wrote:

RIP DDO 2017

It's me, zmikecuber. I used an old gmail account I had to create a new account for the time being.

It seems you can only create DDO accounts with a google account or possibly a facebook account.

So you 'only' have to be a member of the most popular social media site in the world or 'only' have an account with the most popular search engine/internet company in the world

Dont get me wrong, I can see how requiring these things can certainly limit people from joining, but its hardly closing the doors to the site completely if youre limiting new members to people who use Facebook or Google.

This would explain why over 90% of the new members haven't posted anything, participated in any debate, or voted on any polls.

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

12/14/14 to 1/1/15 = VP of DDO
8/4/18 to 8/6/18 = Start of the Worst Spam Attack in DDO History (61 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 37 seconds... Estimated 63,175 Spam Posts during the main attack)

Be Today's Hero and Tomorrow's Hero
The trash from yesterday will still be trash from every day onwards
AequitasEtVeritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2017 1:58:20 AM
At 5/19/2017 1:48:42 AM, imabench wrote:

RIP DDO 2017

So you 'only' have to be a member of the most popular social media site in the world or 'only' have an account with the most popular search engine/internet company in the world

Dont get me wrong, I can see how requiring these things can certainly limit people from joining, but its hardly closing the doors to the site completely if youre limiting new members to people who use Facebook or Google.

Only signing up via Google or Twitter works. Facebook does not work.

I understand that many people have a Google account, but I think alot of new members would likely sign up directly. So it limits the growth of the site considerably.

AequitasEtVeritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2017 1:59:12 AM
At 5/19/2017 1:55:23 AM, Mharman wrote:
I haven't been getting all of these errors you speak of.

Try going into your profile and changing your email address to a different email address.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2017 2:14:41 AM
At 5/19/2017 1:58:20 AM, AequitasEtVeritas wrote:
At 5/19/2017 1:48:42 AM, imabench wrote:

RIP DDO 2017

Only signing up via Google or Twitter works. Facebook does not work.

Oh sh*t, then the site really does have a problem now 0_o

I understand that many people have a Google account, but I think alot of new members would likely sign up directly. So it limits the growth of the site considerably.

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

12/14/14 to 1/1/15 = VP of DDO
8/4/18 to 8/6/18 = Start of the Worst Spam Attack in DDO History (61 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 37 seconds... Estimated 63,175 Spam Posts during the main attack)

Be Today's Hero and Tomorrow's Hero
The trash from yesterday will still be trash from every day onwards
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2017 2:30:56 AM
wow that's actually really really bad
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2017 12:53:23 PM

DDO is worth what someone will pay for it and not a penny more
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2017 2:52:38 PM
At 5/20/2017 12:53:23 PM, sadolite wrote:

Actually DDO is worth its total assets minus its total liabilities. That's how net worth is calculated. So if I'm only willing to pay $5 for it, but its net worth is $200,000, then its net worth is $200,000.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2017 12:48:00 AM
At 5/20/2017 2:52:38 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Actually DDO is worth its total assets minus its total liabilities. That's how net worth is calculated. So if I'm only willing to pay $5 for it, but its net worth is $200,000, then its net worth is $200,000.

Net worth and selling price have nothing what so ever to do with each other. An asset is assigned an arbitrary value based on past sales of said asset. What someone is willing to pay for that asset again is what someone is willing to pay. And that amount in most cases is no where near it's assessed value.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2017 1:36:25 AM

He means that its assets are what someone is willing to pay for them.

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2017 2:03:52 AM
At 5/21/2017 12:48:00 AM, sadolite wrote:

Net worth and selling price have nothing what so ever to do with each other.

Yes they do. When you sell a business, you sell based on the valuation of the business.

An asset is assigned an arbitrary value based on past sales of said asset.

That's not arbitrary. That's based on something of actual value.

What someone is willing to pay for that asset again is what someone is willing to pay.

Seems like an unnecessary statement.

And that amount in most cases is no where near it's assessed value.

If I do that with a car I'm not going to get the car. Bartering exists in a reasonable way but not what you seem to be suggesting. The reason bartering exists is because economic cost (what I lose by selling this) is hard to get a definite number on.

It's not the value of the website that's difficult to determine, it's the economic cost that makes the selling price go up and down, which again, has nothing to do with the price someone is willing to pay for it. And it doesnt vary a ton in relation to the value.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2017 1:59:58 PM
At 5/21/2017 2:03:52 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Yes they do. When you sell a business, you sell based on the valuation of the business.

What someone is willing to pay for that asset again is what someone is willing to pay.

If I do that with a car I'm not going to get the car. Bartering exists in a reasonable way but not what you seem to be suggesting. The reason bartering exists is because economic cost (what I lose by selling this) is hard to get a definite number on.

It's not the value of the website that's difficult to determine, it's the economic cost that makes the selling price go up and down, which again, has nothing to do with the price someone is willing to pay for it. And it doesnt vary a ton in relation to the value.

No, If you don't have a buyer that will pay your asking price then your asset isn't worth your perceived value. DDO is worth what someone will pay for it. That is what DDO is worth. End of story. Me personally, after having been visiting this site for nearly ten years, I would not offer over $100,000 and I would have to see the books before even thinking of making that a committed offer. My offer would only go down from that point.

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2017 4:21:26 PM
At 5/21/2017 1:59:58 PM, sadolite wrote:

No, If you don't have a buyer that will pay your asking price then your asset isn't worth your perceived value. DDO is worth what someone will pay for it. That is what DDO is worth. End of story. Me personally, after having been visiting this site for nearly ten years, I would not offer over $100,000 and I would have to see the books before even thinking of making that a committed offer. My offer would only go down from that point.

Well I understand that the price you set isn't always the right selling price. But what you said is that the selling price is the worth, which isn't true (then you said worth and price have nothing to do with each other, which is also false). The selling price is just based off the worth. My point was originally just that worth is easily measurable, and it's not what someone is willing to pay for it.

In short, I understand what you're saying, and i think i agree with you now thay youve exolained yourself. You're using the wrong words. You're talking about utility theory of value, which is determined by the customer. But there's perceived value and actual value. I'm talking about the actual valuation of a large asset, and you're talking about the perceived value from the customers perspective, which is important for pricing but is not the actual worth of an asset.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2017 7:14:44 PM
At 5/21/2017 4:21:26 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Well I understand that the price you set isn't always the right selling price. But what you said is that the selling price is the worth, which isn't true (then you said worth and price have nothing to do with each other, which is also false). The selling price is just based off the worth. My point was originally just that worth is easily measurable, and it's not what someone is willing to pay for it.

In short, I understand what you're saying, and i think i agree with you now thay youve exolained yourself. You're using the wrong words. You're talking about utility theory of value, which is determined by the customer. But there's perceived value and actual value. I'm talking about the actual valuation of a large asset, and you're talking about the perceived value from the customers perspective, which is important for pricing but is not the actual worth of an asset.

I really don't find anything confusing about something being worth what someone will pay for it. Seems rudimentary and simple to me. There are however numerous conditions after the purchase that can make values skyrocket and plummet. Things as dumb as fads and who bought it for example. But those are short term and for the sucker born every minute .

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2017 7:22:08 PM
At 5/21/2017 7:14:44 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/21/2017 4:21:26 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

I really don't find anything confusing about something being worth what someone will pay for it.

Maybe I'm just on a different vocabulary from my corporate finance class.

Seems rudimentary and simple to me. There are however numerous conditions after the purchase that can make values skyrocket and plummet. Things as dumb as fads and who bought it for example. But those are short term and for the sucker born every minute .

But this part is correct^
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.