Jump to topic:

Pirates of the Caribbean 6 Movie Review

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2017 1:50:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
As the official member of DDO best represented and most associated with Jack Sparrow, i feel that it is my duty to give DDO my opinion about the movie, posting the review in the main forum to give the forum a break from the usual threads that closely resemble autistic yodeling.

Short Review:

Cheesy at times, genuinely interesting at other times, Soft 7/10, better than 'On Stranger Tides' but not quite as good as any of the films in the original trilogy.

Long Review: (Warning: YYW-Esque post incoming)

The issue with Pirates of the Caribbean films is that as time has dragged on, the franchise has relied on increasingly outlandish supernatural elements to drive the storyline, going from tolerable in the first three films to outlandish in 'On Stranger Tides'. The same issue is very prevalent in the new film, which is my main gripe with the movie. Without spoiling the movie and only discussing revelations shown within the trailers of the movie already released, the following supernatural elements are present in this new film:

=Spanish sailers walking/running on water
=Undead Spanish sailors walking/running on water
=Undead Sharks
=A ship that literally eats other ships in one bite
=More voodoo priestesses who always know everything going on and what needs to be done next
=The sea splitting in half
=The Black Pearl being stuck inside a bottle that Sparrow carries everywhere with him
=Whatever substance magically turned Captain Salazar into an undead maniac

And the most outlandish supernatural element which is what all the characters are chasing after is an object straight out of ancient mythology which I will not mention for the sake of spoilers. This movie relies hard on supernatural elements to steer the plot of the movie, and while it is better done than 'On Stranger Ties' did before it, it still appears rather hasty and shallow in this new film. The original trilogy are superior to this new film, though that is not to overshadow how interesting this film stands on its own.

The two new main characters in this movie are characters Im not particularly fond of either, both of whom have been heavily featured in the trailers. The new girl particularly was hard to like. In the movie, she plays a very intelligent character so far ahead of her time that she is routinely labeled as a witch by men around her, which wouldn't be an issue if the movie didn't try to cram that fact down your throat at every possible opportunity in the first half of the film. In one scene, the girl literally is on the run from British redcoats, breaks into an observatory, and corrects a mathematical error with the telescope all by looking through it for no longer than a minute. While I understand why studios would feature strong female protagonists in franchise films to appeal to audiences, this film does it way too hard and way too much to the point that you just become irritated rather then impressed or sympathetic.

The other new character in the film, the guy, is too unremarkable to sympathize with either, and is designed as a character with the generic male-protagonist qualities that Hollywood has been using for the past 30 years.

The characters and the reliance on supernatural elements to steer the plot were my two main gripes with the movie, so here are the more positive aspects of it I liked.

To start, there were some events in the movie that I particularly liked, my favorite one being that Jack's crew -accidentally- steal a building. This does not effect the rest of the movie and is not a major plot piece so I can spoil that little bit for you. The events that take place in the movie because of Jack's bad luck rather then some supernatural development were genuine curveballs that were quite entertaining to watch, and watching Jack and his crew try to get out of those situations was equally enthralling.

The dialogue and witty remarks by Jack and others was also done quite well, but not all of them hit their mark, and many that didnt go down in the very first third of the film. Enough of them did hit their mark though that the film was still entertaining to watch when fight scenes weren't going on. My personal favorite was confusion among the pirates when they the new girl tells them she is a horologist, and some pirate in the background remarks with 'so was my mother, and there is no shame in that!' which had the audience in stitches. There are also references to love in the movie that Jack mistakes for STD's, such as having a 'burning itch' for someone, that while crude were still very well timed and therefore funny.

The ship battles are also a plus in the movie, because 'On Stranger Tides' had a vast majority of its fights being fought on land where pirates just swung swords at each other every now and then. In this film, almost all of the big battles between Jack, Captain Salazar, and the British redcoats take place at sea, where we sea ships blasting each other with broadside cannonfire once again. Some battles do take place on land between Jack and the redcoats, the redcoats serving the role as cannon-fodder rather than fear-inducing enemies. There is no Beckett-esque villain representing the British, and that absence is apparent, but the enemy in the undead Spanish captain Salazar fills the role well enough to pacify fans and keep the drama high.

My last praise for the movie comes with the ending, which was quite surprising because of how unexpected it was. Franchises that are trying to remake themselves are expected to preserve the main characters of the past that the fanbase has come to love over the years, and so killing off some of those characters is incredibly surprising when it is well done. Whether it was well-done in this film depends on your own opinion of it, because there are some films that do kill off characters well (Rogue One) and then there are some that do the same thing very poorly (Suicide Squad). What Pirates #6 does is not as well done as what Rogue One did, though not nearly as bad as how Suicide Squad did it, so the film surprised me very well in that regard and I praise them for it. I have grown incredibly tired of big-budget movies preserving all of its characters to preserve them for possible future installments (X-Men Apocalypse), so to see the Pirates franchise break itself from that trend that many other franchises easily fall into is quite refreshing.

There is additional fan service at the very end of the movie and in post-credit scenes that also borrow from what Marvel has been doing with its movies, which although not original for movie studios to do, is still a nice quality that makes this film that much more likable for longtime-fans of the franchise.

Overall, the writing improves the Pirates franchise from its lows in 'On Stranger Shores' but also holds it back from matching or even exceeding the quality of the films in the first trilogy. Some parts of the movie can be cringeworthy or pure nonsensical, but overall it is still entertaining enough that fans of the franchise will once again hop on board (pun intended) and sail with Jack Sparrow for another adventure.

Rating: Soft-7 out of 10
DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

12/14/14 to 1/1/15 = VP of DDO
8/4/18 to 8/6/18 = Start of the Worst Spam Attack in DDO History (61 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 37 seconds... Estimated 63,175 Spam Posts during the main attack)

Be Today's Hero and Tomorrow's Hero
The trash from yesterday will still be trash from every day onwards
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2017 5:52:50 PM
I just watched the back half of the second movie on tv yesterday. Forgot how forgettable and dumb it was.
We gonna pull up like the ice cream truck
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2017 6:31:22 PM
At 5/27/2017 3:43:59 PM, OTempora wrote:
Shouldn't this be in the entertainment forum?

"posting the review in the main forum to give the forum a break from the usual threads that closely resemble autistic yodeling."

Literally posted within the first sentence of the post.

8/4/18 to 8/6/18 = Start of the Worst Spam Attack in DDO History (61 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 37 seconds... Estimated 63,175 Spam Posts during the main attack)

OTempora
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2017 6:49:55 PM
At 5/27/2017 6:31:22 PM, imabench wrote:

"posting the review in the main forum to give the forum a break from the usual threads that closely resemble autistic yodeling."

I understand you feel that way, but it should still be in the entertainment forum.
#NoLoveForZarrothett
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2017 9:14:17 PM
At 5/27/2017 6:49:55 PM, OTempora wrote:
At 5/27/2017 6:31:22 PM, imabench wrote:

I understand you feel that way, but it should still be in the entertainment forum.

Too bad

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 12:21:14 AM
At 5/27/2017 1:50:45 AM, imabench wrote:
As the official member of DDO best represented and most associated with Jack Sparrow, i feel that it is my duty to give DDO my opinion about the movie, posting the review in the main forum to give the forum a break from the usual threads that closely resemble autistic yodeling.

LOL

Good review. I might get a torrent of it now. ;D
Do I need to watch 4 and 5? Should I watch 4 and 5? Tell me how to live benchy.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 3:35:43 AM
At 5/28/2017 12:21:14 AM, tvellalott wrote:

LOL

Good review. I might get a torrent of it now. ;D
Do I need to watch 4 and 5? Should I watch 4 and 5? Tell me how to live benchy.

5 is a Yes, 4 is a hard No....... #4 is entirely skippable, contributes nothing to the overall storyline of the franchise, and features almost no sea battles despite the fact that is a fuckin pirate movie. 5 Is not as good as the original trilogy, but still stands on its own as an entertaining movie to watch. It's certainly more watchable then Baywatch or anything the DC Universe has been putting out recently

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 3:38:06 AM
At 5/28/2017 3:35:43 AM, imabench wrote:
It's certainly more watchable then Baywatch or anything the DC Universe has been putting out recently

I really liked Batman Vs Superman, so that's super high praise. :)
newstein
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 3:56:09 AM
At 5/28/2017 3:38:06 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 5/28/2017 3:35:43 AM, imabench wrote:
It's certainly more watchable then Baywatch or anything the DC Universe has been putting out recently

I really liked Batman Vs Superman, so that's super high praise. :)

Are you demented?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 10:10:46 AM

Short Review:

Cheesy at times, genuinely interesting at other times, Soft 7/10, better than 'On Stranger Tides' but not quite as good as any of the films in the original trilogy.

The issue with Pirates of the Caribbean films is that as time has dragged on, the franchise has relied on increasingly outlandish supernatural elements to drive the storyline, going from tolerable in the first three films to outlandish in 'On Stranger Tides'. The same issue is very prevalent in the new film, which is my main gripe with the movie. Without spoiling the movie and only discussing revelations shown within the trailers of the movie already released, the following supernatural elements are present in this new film:

=Undead Sharks
=More voodoo priestesses who always know everything going on and what needs to be done next
=The Black Pearl being stuck inside a bottle that Sparrow carries everywhere with him

And the most outlandish supernatural element which is what all the characters are chasing after is an object straight out of ancient mythology which I will not mention for the sake of spoilers. This movie relies hard on supernatural elements to steer the plot of the movie, and while it is better done than 'On Stranger Ties' did before it, it still appears rather hasty and shallow in this new film. The original trilogy are superior to this new film, though that is not to overshadow how interesting this film stands on its own.

The two new main characters in this movie are characters Im not particularly fond of either, both of whom have been heavily featured in the trailers. The new girl particularly was hard to like. In the movie, she plays a very intelligent character so far ahead of her time that she is routinely labeled as a witch by men around her, which wouldn't be an issue if the movie didn't try to cram that fact down your throat at every possible opportunity in the first half of the film. In one scene, the girl literally is on the run from British redcoats, breaks into an observatory, and corrects a mathematical error with the telescope all by looking through it for no longer than a minute. While I understand why studios would feature strong female protagonists in franchise films to appeal to audiences, this film does it way too hard and way too much to the point that you just become irritated rather then impressed or sympathetic.

The other new character in the film, the guy, is too unremarkable to sympathize with either, and is designed as a character with the generic male-protagonist qualities that Hollywood has been using for the past 30 years.

The characters and the reliance on supernatural elements to steer the plot were my two main gripes with the movie, so here are the more positive aspects of it I liked.

To start, there were some events in the movie that I particularly liked, my favorite one being that Jack's crew -accidentally- steal a building. This does not effect the rest of the movie and is not a major plot piece so I can spoil that little bit for you. The events that take place in the movie because of Jack's bad luck rather then some supernatural development were genuine curveballs that were quite entertaining to watch, and watching Jack and his crew try to get out of those situations was equally enthralling.

The dialogue and witty remarks by Jack and others was also done quite well, but not all of them hit their mark, and many that didnt go down in the very first third of the film. Enough of them did hit their mark though that the film was still entertaining to watch when fight scenes weren't going on. My personal favorite was confusion among the pirates when they the new girl tells them she is a horologist, and some pirate in the background remarks with 'so was my mother, and there is no shame in that!' which had the audience in stitches. There are also references to love in the movie that Jack mistakes for STD's, such as having a 'burning itch' for someone, that while crude were still very well timed and therefore funny.

The ship battles are also a plus in the movie, because 'On Stranger Tides' had a vast majority of its fights being fought on land where pirates just swung swords at each other every now and then. In this film, almost all of the big battles between Jack, Captain Salazar, and the British redcoats take place at sea, where we sea ships blasting each other with broadside cannonfire once again. Some battles do take place on land between Jack and the redcoats, the redcoats serving the role as cannon-fodder rather than fear-inducing enemies. There is no Beckett-esque villain representing the British, and that absence is apparent, but the enemy in the undead Spanish captain Salazar fills the role well enough to pacify fans and keep the drama high.

My last praise for the movie comes with the ending, which was quite surprising because of how unexpected it was. Franchises that are trying to remake themselves are expected to preserve the main characters of the past that the fanbase has come to love over the years, and so killing off some of those characters is incredibly surprising when it is well done. Whether it was well-done in this film depends on your own opinion of it, because there are some films that do kill off characters well (Rogue One) and then there are some that do the same thing very poorly (Suicide Squad). What Pirates #6 does is not as well done as what Rogue One did, though not nearly as bad as how Suicide Squad did it, so the film surprised me very well in that regard and I praise them for it. I have grown incredibly tired of big-budget movies preserving all of its characters to preserve them for possible future installments (X-Men Apocalypse), so to see the Pirates franchise break itself from that trend that many other franchises easily fall into is quite refreshing.

There is additional fan service at the very end of the movie and in post-credit scenes that also borrow from what Marvel has been doing with its movies, which although not original for movie studios to do, is still a nice quality that makes this film that much more likable for longtime-fans of the franchise.

Overall, the writing improves the Pirates franchise from its lows in 'On Stranger Shores' but also holds it back from matching or even exceeding the quality of the films in the first trilogy. Some parts of the movie can be cringeworthy or pure nonsensical, but overall it is still entertaining enough that fans of the franchise will once again hop on board (pun intended) and sail with Jack Sparrow for another adventure.

"Pirates of the carribean 6"? Is this a typo? I'm fairly certain the one that came out recently is the fifth.

Not going to lie, I've spent a lot of time avoiding asking this because I'm paranoid that it actually the sixth and that there is a fifth I've somehow never heard of.
"Hate begets hate"
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 12:06:44 PM
At 5/28/2017 10:10:46 AM, Axonly wrote:

Short Review:

=Undead Sharks

"Pirates of the carribean 6"? Is this a typo? I'm fairly certain the one that came out recently is the fifth.

Not going to lie, I've spent a lot of time avoiding asking this because I'm paranoid that it actually the sixth and that there is a fifth I've somehow never heard of.

Lol, couldn't you just google it?
OTempora
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 2:00:29 PM
At 5/28/2017 12:06:44 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Short Review:

=Undead Sharks

http://bfy.tw...
#NoLoveForZarrothett
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 6:01:04 PM

Aye.... 'tis be a typo

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 8:21:29 PM
At 5/28/2017 12:06:44 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Short Review:

=Undead Sharks

I did.
"Hate begets hate"

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.